Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Type II Diabetic?

Excellent! Thanks Fidel!

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Epinephrine 1:1000 0.3mg SQ cures a person from dying when they have anaphylaxis. It may not cure their allergies, but that isnt the important factor when they're suffocating.

I'll even give you another one. Dextrose 50% slow IV push cures a patient in hypoglycemic crisis / insulin shock, again from dying.

TPA can cure a patient of an ischemic stroke, pretty damned quickly....and they would die otherwise.

There are lots of ACLS drugs that cure death.

I've seen patients who were suffering from profound emotional issues (depression, suicidal ideations) who were treated with an anesthetic, ketamine, and never have a problem again.

I've even seen hard-core addicts (alcohol, heroin/opiates) who were treated with LSD and never wanted another drink/high....Too bad LSD isn't legally available except in very special circumstances.
    Yes , epinephrine is a very good example. Until Mylan and Joe Manchin and his wife raised the price of an epi-pen to $600. Another point I was trying to make.......... The frickin drug companies are in it for the money. Screw people's lives, if you can't afford the meds, you die, and some , not all doctors, play right along.

Mylan is a problem, alright....they're a bunch of bottom feeding scum: Mylan didn't develop the technology, didn't get it through FDA approval and the actual cost of a 0.3mg dose of epi (including the syringe and alcohol swab) is about $4 from a wholesaler.

Before you condemn all drug companies, though: Without them lots of people would be dead, and a lot more would be nearly dead. And government control or research isn't the answer either. The government hasn't come up with a health cure since Gorgas discovered mosquitoes transmitted yellow fever (not that he cured it, or understood what was going on).
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Mylan is a problem, alright....they're a bunch of bottom feeding scum: Mylan didn't develop the technology, didn't get it through FDA approval and the actual cost of a 0.3mg dose of epi (including the syringe and alcohol swab) is about $4 from a wholesaler.

Before you condemn all drug companies, though: Without them lots of people would be dead, and a lot more would be nearly dead. And government control or research isn't the answer either. The government hasn't come up with a health cure since Gorgas discovered mosquitoes transmitted yellow fever (not that he cured it, or understood what was going on).
    Well fidel, we finally agree on something. That was the point I was trying to make. No doubt in my mind you are a great doctor, but you know as well as I do we are all getting screwed. By the drug companies and the government. I'm not an M.D. But I have been in the health care field for 25 years . Lots of people have died , for no other reason than greed and /or incompetence.

Well, I tried eating like Fidel suggested, I started on the eleventh, I was #252.5. This morning I was 240.2 pounds. Thats 12.3 pounds in just over a week. Is that too much in a short time? I know the scale is accurate and I am wearing size 36 jeans today instead of the 38s I have been wearing. I am pretty damed pleased with this so far I just don't want to cause any health issues for myself by dropping to much too fast.

You might have noticed that Fidel and I have different opinions.

What we *DO* appear to agree on is that it is best if the nourishments trickle into your system instead of entering in one large burst, which is what happens when you eat too many sweets or rapidly digested things

What happens when you eat sweets is that your blood sugar goes up quickly then drops quickly, and any time your blood sugar drops quickly you get hungry. Then you are either uncomfortable or you eat something, so eating too many carbs is a lose-lose proposition.

When you eat something that is digested slowly- like eggs or meat- the sugar trickles into your system and your body can pretty much use it while you go about your normal day. And, because your blood sugar does not bounce around you are far less hungry, and it is far easier to stay on a diet.
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 10-19-2016 at 04:24 PM.

No, we don't agree on that. Trickling food into your blood stream will result in constantly high blood insulin levels, with concomitant swings in blood glucose. This is physiologically bad for people, and also leads to hunger and binge eating.

As I said, eat meals, when you are hungry. Don't eat between meals. If you're not hungry for breakfast, don't eat breakfast.

Kansas Terri has a system that works for her....unless you have the same ailments as her, I wouldn't try eating like her.

Fidel? Fat and protein are digested slowly over the course of hours, which means that your body breaks it down slowly, which means that your body gets a slow and steady release of nourishment for the cells of your body, does it not? And is that nourishment in the form of sugar?
    Last edited by Kansas Terri; 10-19-2016 at 08:14 PM.

OK, I have a diabetes question. I don't know the specifics of my new DIL, but she has a pump kinda thing that she wears. So, the cartridges that are loaded in this contraption, are stored in refrigeration ?

Thinking of "One Second After", and how my situation would be scary similar, Does insulin need to be chilled, or can it be frozen? If freezing is an option, why not use liquid Nitrogen to store these things?I have access to the stuff, do definitely a viable option.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    OK, I have a diabetes question. I don't know the specifics of my new DIL, but she has a pump kinda thing that she wears. So, the cartridges that are loaded in this contraption, are stored in refrigeration ?

Thinking of "One Second After", and how my situation would be scary similar, Does insulin need to be chilled, or can it be frozen? If freezing is an option, why not use liquid Nitrogen to store these things?I have access to the stuff, do definitely a viable option.
    Insulin needs to be refrigerated (especially after the vial is opened)....it CANNOT be frozen: Insulin is a polypeptide (protein) and freezing it will destroy it's shape and function.

In One Second After, apparently nobody in that town could figure out putting insulin in a creek, or building an evaporative cooler or anything. Damned shame.