Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Type II Diabetic?

People with more than one medical condition (co-morbidities) are why machine-provided medicine is still decades off. But since you do have comorbidities, your experience is not typical for a Type II diabetic.
    Good medicine in bad places

Everyone on earth has different body chemistry, even close relatives. What works for one won't work for another. The medical profession is to quick to prescribe drugs. The side effects are often worse than the disease. I guess I've been lucky cause I eat what I want when I want, like my grandparents, who ate bacon and gravy and lard and eggs and red meat and taters and never had diabetes or heart problems and lived to be 80. But they worked. If people would work instead of sitting on their lard asses maybe they would be healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Everyone on earth has different body chemistry, even close relatives. What works for one won't work for another. The medical profession is to quick to prescribe drugs. The side effects are often worse than the disease. I guess I've been lucky cause I eat what I want when I want, like my grandparents, who ate bacon and gravy and lard and eggs and red meat and taters and never had diabetes or heart problems and lived to be 80. But they worked. If people would work instead of sitting on their lard asses maybe they would be healthier.
    If what you said were true, no medicines would EVER work.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    If what you said were true, no medicines would EVER work.....
    Name a medication , other than antibiotics, that actually cure something. I think the list is very small. Most medications relieve symptoms , but don't cure anything. And the side effects are usually worse than the disease. Drug companies don't produce drugs that cure diseases because they can't make money that way. They have to create drugs that people have to buy for as long as they live. Sure , lots of drugs do prolong life, but you know as well as I do that the same drug may help one person and harm another.

Subscribed!

Fidel, I have always appreciated your contributions here, thanks for starting this post.

Could you provide information for or give a web link to what you think a healthy diet is for a person in the high risk group for type II diabetes?

I am 50+ pounds over weight, at 6'0 tall and large framed I need to weigh 190# instead I am 252#. My BP is at pre hypertension level (its lower at home, doctors scare me more than crazy clowns or thugs).
    Last edited by Revolution; 10-11-2016 at 09:14 PM.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Just because there is not a 'cure' from a med doesn't limit the usefulness of the med... There are many people with seizure disorders on meds that allow them to have productive lives... Blood pressure meds, anti coagulant drugs, proper use of pain meds, cardiac drug (the list is long) increase the quality/quantity of life... There is no pill that can replace a damaged heart...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

You guys are missing my point. My original point is that we all have different body chemistry. Doctors prescribe drugs that work well for one person but don't help or may even harm the next. Very few drugs actually cure anything. Yes, they prolong life in some cases, but a lot of drugs are prescribed that don't help and in some cases even harm the patient. Cholesterol drugs are a good example.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Actually, I do understand your point (well, some of it anyway) ... You are correct, not every person will react to the same med the same way... There are very real trade offs to some meds... My hypertension has a great genetic component... No pill will fix that... Tried a couple of different meds years ago and found one that works... Not exactly sure what your point was after the 'different body chemistry' statement... Thousands of people die from meds every year... Many different reasons... Im still going to take my BP meds...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Name a medication , other than antibiotics, that actually cure something. I think the list is very small. Most medications relieve symptoms , but don't cure anything. And the side effects are usually worse than the disease. Drug companies don't produce drugs that cure diseases because they can't make money that way. They have to create drugs that people have to buy for as long as they live. Sure , lots of drugs do prolong life, but you know as well as I do that the same drug may help one person and harm another.
    Epinephrine 1:1000 0.3mg SQ cures a person from dying when they have anaphylaxis. It may not cure their allergies, but that isnt the important factor when they're suffocating.

I'll even give you another one. Dextrose 50% slow IV push cures a patient in hypoglycemic crisis / insulin shock, again from dying.

TPA can cure a patient of an ischemic stroke, pretty damned quickly....and they would die otherwise.

There are lots of ACLS drugs that cure death.

I've seen patients who were suffering from profound emotional issues (depression, suicidal ideations) who were treated with an anesthetic, ketamine, and never have a problem again.

I've even seen hard-core addicts (alcohol, heroin/opiates) who were treated with LSD and never wanted another drink/high....Too bad LSD isn't legally available except in very special circumstances.
    Last edited by Fidel. MD; 10-11-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    Subscribed!

Fidel, I have always appreciated your contributions here, thanks for starting this post.

Could you provide information for or give a web link to what you think a healthy diet is for a person in the high risk group for type II diabetes?

I am 50+ pounds over weight, at 6'0 tall and large framed I need to weigh 190# instead I am 252#. My BP is at pre hypertension level (its lower at home, doctors scare me more than crazy clowns or thugs).
    I am not clinically at risk for diabetes (either type). I avoid carbohydrates as much as I reasonably can. Very, very few carbs, in practice. Aside from keeping me from diabetes it also does great things for my cholesterol (which is NOT affected by dietary fat....it's affected by dietary carbohydrates).

This means no cereals, no bread, no rice (except sushi - the vinegar in the rice affects it's glycemic index), mostly only green vegetables, very few fruit products (occasionally I'll eat berries that are low in sugar). No Sugar of any type - no sugar substitutes. No prepared salad dressings, no low-fat foods, no processed anything. If I can't at least in theory grow it or raise it, I don't eat it. If I'm at someone's house and they serve foods I wouldn't normally eat....I eat them, in moderation. No point being an asshole about it.

Not much booze, deserts are a very occasional treat (I had a slice of pumpkin pie a month or so ago...it was great), no potato chips although I will have a baked potato on occasion...I eat lunch once a week or so at McDonalds - two McDoubles, throw away the bun on one and combine it with the other. No fries, no regular sodas and very few diet sodas.

Low carb does not mean high protein, though: I don't eat a pound of bacon every morning. Two eggs, two strips, coffee with half and half...

NO SNACKS. As Fung explains in his book (and videos) the idea is to keep your blood glucose from swinging all over the place, which affects your blood insulin levels..He even advocates short (~18 hour) fasts....

www.dietdoctor.com

Read a couple of books - I would prioritize them in this order:

The Obesity Code https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-...&keywords=fung

The Big Fat Surprise https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surpr...words=teicholz

Why we get fat https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fa...eywords=taubes

Good Calories, Bad Calories https://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories...eywords=taubes

Good luck!
    Last edited by Fidel. MD; 10-11-2016 at 10:56 PM.