Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    So, what would one recommend as something to get that would fill in the cracks of a random collection of items. I was a past emt-A, and I know there are holes in what I should ideally have. What would you recommend that would fill the basic needs, not considering what someone might already have ?
    Depends on what you want to do with it.

For an IFAK/blowout kit, I would suggest an Izzy bandage, a chest seal, a roll of combat gauze, a TQ, a quickclot dressing, a couple of pairs of gloves, a space blanket and perhaps a np airway. Lube is optional, you can use spit.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by HenryJ View Post
    Just completed my update training for the 2017 revisions. Latest revision to the medical training: no more occlusive dressings for chest wound. Tourniquets and blood clotting back in favor. Big push on opiate overdose procedures.
    Training materials have not yet been shipped, so I have not seen the new curriculum yet. The instructors were required to complete the update course prior to having access to the new materials.
    No chest seals?

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

....Big push on opiate overdose procedures.....
    I heard from a FA instructor, that narcan is available at Rite Aids, just for the asking (i.e. no prescription, you still have to pay, lol). I haven't tried, because I don't want to be on another list. Has anyone else heard about it ?

And thanks Fidel for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    I heard from a FA instructor, that narcan is available at Rite Aids, just for the asking (i.e. no prescription, you still have to pay, lol). I haven't tried, because I don't want to be on another list. Has anyone else heard about it ?

And thanks Fidel for your input.
    Many stores now:

Walgreens:
    By the end of the year, Walgreens will make naloxone available without a prescription at its pharmacies in the following states:
    Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

Can already get it in Arkansas

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I wonder if the people using Narcan realize it wears off rather rapidly... it also throws the patient into a real nasty withdrawal if it's given to a chronic user of narcotics...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    I wonder if the people using Narcan realize it wears off rather rapidly... it also throws the patient into a real nasty withdrawal if it's given to a chronic user of narcotics...
    Especially with the autoinjectors - all or nothing. When I was a paramedic and we first got narcan the protocol was to administer the full (glass) vial...and the patient would come up swinging, since we had just ruined their $100 high.... We learned pretty quickly to just give them enough so they were breathing on their own. It saved a lot of patients from having MAGLIGHT reverse-embossed in their foreheads.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I had a 300# guy come out of a wheelchair screaming at me... Fortuneatly he had some pretty painful cramps before he realized here he was and what happened...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

^ this is the problem in Healthcare, always picking on the patients.

Just completed my update training for the 2017 revisions. Latest revision to the medical training: no more occlusive dressings for chest wound. Tourniquets and blood clotting back in favor. Big push on opiate overdose procedures.
    (I am not posting this to belittle or offend you, I am seeking clarification. I am known for often having poor tone LOL).

What curriculum is this, AHA?

NAEMT (PHTLS, TCCC/TECC) still advocate the use of an occlusive dressing as the first line treatment for a chest wall penetrating trauma. I am an NAEMT TCCC Instructor, just taught this a week ago. AHA may teach this differently, and I am a huge proponent of AHA for most things - but they are not industry leaders in Trauma Management.

Opiate Overdose? Definitely AHA. I was very pleased to see that ACLS now recommends Narcan as soon as possible in most cardiac arrests. Most of us Paramedics locally push a Narcan after our first Epi anyway, but its always good to be backed in your decision making. Hs & Ts.
    Last edited by SteelWolf; 02-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    We've become sheep, and I don't trust the Shepherds.

Now, I will agree that the science is still up in the air on Vented vs. Non Vented chest seals. I generally use non vented seals, but then again, I can place a chest tube if needles don't adequately resolve Tension Pneumothorax, or if the patient has a suspected hemothorax.
    We've become sheep, and I don't trust the Shepherds.