Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You never know what you are going to get unless you ask

Default You never know what you are going to get unless you ask

So after the last round of power outages at my house, I told my wife that I was going to get us a generator since my solar setup is not up and running yet(but could be in a SHTF emergency). The only problem is we are broke. So after looking around for barter items, I decided to trade my Rossi single shot .223. This would be a first though as I have never sold a gun that I bought.

The next day, out of curiosity, something told me to ask around at work if someone had a generator they would be willing to part with. Low and behold, a coworker said yes! So the next day I went to his house to check it out. It is a Briggs and Straton Elite 5500 generator rated at 5500 watts constant and 8500 watts surge! It needs some work as it leaks gas badly but that is no problem.

So we start to discuss the trade. "Don't worry about it" he says. What? Did I hear that right? "You buy me lunch one day and we will call it even."

After getting it home I discovered all it needs is a new fuel tank grommet. That's it!

So you never know if someone you know has something you want or need unless you ask.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

great story

Dang! You and granny are doing something right. Three scores in one week? Sheesh! I need to get out more! LOL

Eta, was just thinking back... Last time something like that happened for me was back in 1994. I was given a Troy Built heavy duty chipper/shredder. It was leaking oil. Like yours, it was just the seal. I still have and use it...
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 09-16-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Lol... I'd probably spring for a couple more lunches... You never know what deal may come your way....
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I'm still waiting .... LOL
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Lol... I'd probably spring for a couple more lunches... You never know what deal may come your way....
    Oh yeah. I will Most certainly be doing that. He and I work on co-workers cars when they break down and I think that is why he helped me out.

Dang, heckuva deal. Wonder how much of that fuel problem is from ethanol?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Dang, heckuva deal. Wonder how much of that fuel problem is from ethanol?
    From what I heave read online, it is the cause. The fuel tanks that have the rubber grommet on them instead of a metal nipple all have the same problem. So ill be looking in the future to replace the fuel tank with one that does not require a rubber grommet.

You did well, now treat your friend well!
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Uncle just got a mint condition Russian SKS from a guy he works with, because it wouldn't fire, guy said he could just take it. Uncle took it home, disassembled, and.... About 2mm chunk missing from the firing pin head. Replaced firing pin, bang bang bang. Now I gotta figure out how to get it, it's so clean it may have been a factory defect, it seriously looked un-fired.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power