Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Hermine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hurricane Hermine

So it looks like we will be taking a glancing blow to this area. Seems like we will get some wind and rain. I think it is funny watching people on Facebook freakout and complaining that stores were mostly empty of water and basic foods. Anyone else looking at being affected by the storm.
    Vox Populi!

I agree. My wife and I talked and were like. Maybe get some half and half for coffee and check the genny. Other then that we are ready. That took all of 2 mins. It is good to be prepared!
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

yea we picked up a case of water, that is about it.
    Vox Populi!

Congratulations you guys. You are some of the few smart ones. Still, be vigilant. Twisters can spawn off those glancing blows.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Hello All
    RE: Hurricane Hermine
    I am in upstate South Carolina.
    Always ready for whatever may happen and I hold high ground.
    If weather is bad I just hole up.
    Everything here is set for off grid operation for at least 3 months including transport.
    With out using a vehicle. I have horses and Pack Goats.
    Even my goats are ready for high water (not that we will get it here) and I hold the high ground.
    Happy Trails
    Keep Your Powder Dry
    hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina
    Attached Images Attached Images

So we lost power for about 4 hours. No major damage in this area to speak of. Gotta say tho those 4 hours we no fun. Ran into problems with the new genny. Bought a 7000w troybilt and it couldn't even power my fridge. It kept tripping the gfci on the genny. But my 2000w energizer ran my fridge just fine. Had to keep switching the genny between the fridge and a window ac unit. I would have just keep the fridge running but the wife and the newborn were having none of that heat down here. Oh well. Lesson learned i guess. Gonna call troybilt monday and have them figure out why it didn't work right. If they don't fix it, it is going right back to lowes for my money back.

Side note that little energizer genny is awesome none of my neighbors even knew it was running. Its super quite rate at 65DBs.
    Vox Populi!

sounds like a good dry run

I was hoping for some nice rain today in College Station followed by blistering heat and unbearable humidity. Going to the game but Aggies play UCLA at home. Wanted the Kommiefornians to enjoy the best of what Kyle Field has to offer.

Glad everybody is covered. Yea, my wife would be out of Half and Half for coffee and we would be screwed because she would be without. Reminds me to restock some either Eagle Brand or Dime Brand cans. I like that in coffee from time to time for a change of pace. Reminds me of my youth I guess.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I need to get diesel and gasoline for the vehicles + D cell batteries. I stopped stockpiling bottled water since my kids were wasting so much of it, so I should probably pickup a case or two.

We never got a genny because of the job situation but you can bet if we lose power the wife will have me charge one on the Ole credit card.

They are now saying the storm is getting stronger again and has the potential to stall just south of LI.

Joe - NY

Yeah, she'll wish she let you buy a gen when power goes out for more than an hour. We bought two Honda 3000. Whisper quiet and holds well under strain. Excellent on fuel too. They will run 20 hours straight without refueling. They are rated for 16 hrs.
    We also bought an exhaust kit for each to divert carbon monoxide so we can bring them indoors under bad condition. Works like a charm!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.