Thread: Need help with covered chicken run ideas

Default Need help with covered chicken run ideas

I'm looking to expand my Chicken run so I can add to my flock, but I'm trying to resolve some problems I'm encountering.

I do plan to let them free range more, but once the snow comes I'll need a good covered run for them. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible while trying to keep away from it looking too hoopty. I just had Timber on my property cut, so I have access to plenty of branches and smaller logs.

One option I'm really leaning towards is using a number of smaller branches to make the roof and sides. While this will leave gaps in between, I'm hoping to find some sort of vine or other plant that can cover the run and help fill in the gaps. I realize that I may still need to use clear plastic sheeting on the inside during the winter.

Another option I've considered is using storm windows for the roof. I have several stores in the area that sell used ones pretty cheap.

Any help in this would be appreciated.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

Many people use an old trampoline frame to wrap plastic around, that is also moveable. You may want to make whatever enclosure tall enough to be able to enter and clean it up occasionally, or collect eggs (reduced output in the Winter) I would set up water, and feed area in the shelter so they know to return there.

The enclosure will be about 7 feet tall, to give me a little head room in there, so a trampoline is out.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

We use the 6ft tall 10x10 dog kennels as the sides then use sun shades over the top wired to it with zip strips. Of course, I'm in S. Texas, but something like that makes for a good run and the predator birds can't see them from the air. At night they have a house to go into that is locked.

if you go the storm window route don't expect it to be totally dry under there - storm windows work on a strait up position and not angled on a roof pitch type situation ....