Thread: How to store herbs and roots?

Default How to store herbs and roots?

Recently, I've been trying to grow this plant known as Yucca along with some other medicinal/edible roots and leaves for my BOB. And I was wondering if there was a specific way to store them. Do I just keep them in an air-tight ziploc bag or are there certain conditions that are required to keep them sustainable for a while? Thanks.
    -Dr. Ferdifer MD

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdifer View Post
    Recently, I've been trying to grow this plant known as Yucca along with some other medicinal/edible roots and leaves for my BOB. And I was wondering if there was a specific way to store them. Do I just keep them in an air-tight ziploc bag or are there certain conditions that are required to keep them sustainable for a while? Thanks.
    Paper bag for Yucca, or it will mold.

Yucca root is edible?

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Paper bag for Yucca, or it will mold.

Yucca root is edible?

Rancher
    Well Mule deer like it, so there's that.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Yucca root can easily replace potatoes in soups and stews. Look for blemish-free tubers that are firm. Store in a cool, dark, dry place for up to one week. Peeled yuca root can be stored in water in the refrigerator for up to about 4 days, or wrapped them tightly and freeze for a couple months.
    About the only benefits of Yucca root is Vit C and manganese. To me, they aren't worth the trouble when you can get the same benefits from other plants that have a much longer shelf life and easier to store. You'ld be much better off leaving Yucca as a growing plant and harvest as needed.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Wonder if anybody has tried Tequila from Yucca. They seem to have Agave down, and now making it from Sotol in Mexico Chihuahua state, I think it is.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

It can also be used as soap because it carries a lot of saponins and will turn soapy when vigorously stirred.
    -Dr. Ferdifer MD