Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Englandistan

Default Hello from Englandistan

Hey all, I'm another Dave which is fine as you can never have enough Daves in your life IMO we tend to be usefull

I'm living now in the west midlands on the outskirts of Birmingham, but have lived and grown up in a variety of places. Ex military but left with a bum knee before the overly kinetic sandy tours came up then shattered my wrist when I tried to join the reserves. When I was in I was a Recce/LRRP team leader.

46 years old but somedays feel twice that - getting old kinda sucks.

I've studied survival skills since I was 12 during the bad old days of mutually assured destruction and the Reagan surge so although its probably a different genre to the US version and less survivalist but with my other training I can do the Mad Max bit too if I have to. We were also looking forward to another ice age back then so I am very climate sceptical.

I've done a few forums over the years, some have closed, some I was removed (usually for a comment which failed the trans atlantic language test or was an innocent question that still broke some rule or another), some went in the wrong direction and others were just too damn big to read like BCUK here in the UK. I shall try to tread carefully on this one.

I noticed 10 years or so ago that the best way to deal with a lot of issues was to convert the scenario to involve zombies as nobody seems to object about dispatching them in a timely and efficient manner when required. Here in the UK survival became tainted with the survivalist mantle which has a bad rep here, so some idiot invented the term bushcraft to sell books and expensive gear and its gone downhill since then with some idiots claiming that their bushcraft skills could have gotten them through katrina/fukashima etc.. needless to say my most productive topic was when I asked 'why are we not allowed to be called survivalists anymore' as all the stuff they were claiming as bushcraft I learnt as survival 20 years before - I stopped reading at around 600 pages.

My little brother has suddenly developed an interest in prepping which is not so easy over here as there is nowhere to bug out to, he is getting in flap over the solar minimum and possible mini ice ages, but I reckon its a toss up between total financial collapse and a zombie plague

Welcome
    born in High Wycombe many moons ago.... now in the great state of Texas!
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

Lmao, just another dirty leg. You don't have to keep pace counts so pull up a chair.

Welcome to the forum Dave, glad to have ya here.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Welcome!
    Paranoia is merely a heightened state of awareness.

Fortune favors the prepared mind. -- Louis Pasteur

welcome, Dave.

Never been to Birmingham, but London (15 years ago) was awesome.
    I take it now it is not so lovely, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    welcome, Dave.

Never been to Birmingham, but London (15 years ago) was awesome.
    I take it now it is not so lovely, LOL
    I suppose doing the touristy thing its a good place to visit, living there not so great and now we have the ethnic problems due to too lax govt policies and enforcement there are a lot of areas akin to the Bronx. its run down and overcrowded with too many commuters and 4 million migrants which is over half the city. the PC brigade who wanted us to remain in the EU just cannot grasp that most of the existing migrants are saying 'too much, stop already' and voting to leave.

the past few months have been very interesting.
    Where there is Tea, there is hope - W.Churchill 1939 (probably)

Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    Welcome
    born in High Wycombe many moons ago.... now in the great state of Texas!
    Texas, that's like the US equivalent of glorious Yorkshire (Gods county) isn't it? I have a friend who moved back to Austin a couple of years back after I told him to quit whining and go home.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Welcome aboard...

I have a sister who is native, lives in Sheffield... They have friends from Yorkshire... Can understand only every 3rd word that come out in conversation...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Welcome aboard...

I have a sister who is native, lives in Sheffield... They have friends from Yorkshire... Can understand only every 3rd word that come out in conversation...
    aye appen, bin there. local dialects are dying out thanks to too many centrally made tv programs and US imports, so its estuary English now with schoolkids either sounding like cockneys, the cast from friends, the simpsons or (insert topical reference of choice)