Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro Campers

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    I own a crank up slide in truck camper and even though it is an 8 ft model it fits nicely and isn't to much for my 2005 chevy Z71 1500. it sticks out past the laid down tailgate but with the one by's in the bed under it it keeps the weight off the tailgate and with the beefier off road package the truck came with it barely squats the truck at all. I have recently been thinking of other means to transport this though as I hate carrying the jacks around with me all the time to take it out if it is an extended stay and don't want to keep closing up and securing everything just to go some place. have towed my jeep behind and leave the truck in place but sometimes it just isn't feasible especially considering gas prices since mine is an 87 waggy which is some weight to be dragging around added to the weight of the camper in the back with gear loaded into both.
    I recently came up with an idea and as soon as funds come available I am going to give it a try.
    My idea is one day while looking through random forums on this subject I happened along this guy who dedicated his p u to be an all the time hauler of his camper. he replaced his bed with a work truck bed and it looked very nice... he had it set up kinda like the adentureland trailers are lots of storage...he just uses it for exclusively bov or camping and has another vehicle as a daily driver... this wont work for me.
    I then went to a junk yard and found many 2005 chevys just like mine with destroyed front ends, but sides and beds fine. I remembered growing up my dad took one of our old non working trucks and chopped the frame and made a trailer with the bed still on it to use for a wood hauler for cutting our wood and the wood we sold.
    I figured take a scrap truck bought really cheap at auction from a junk yard ensuring the frame I needed to be good was good... buy a work truck bed put it on. weld a very nice tongue onto this and permantely mount my camper in this setup.
    ?????
    any ideas or comments.
    Seems like a good idea. You could part out what is left of the truck and decrease the amount of money invested in the project. You could also possibly leave the gas tank in place and set up a quick disconnect hose and wiring so that driving down the road pulling the camper you can double you fuel capacity. In the other side you can mount an extra fresh/grey/black water tank as well since the under side of the bed will be pretty much open. You could attach an alternator to the differential input so when you are driving down the road it can recharge the on board batteries.

Oh, make sure you have a stought Jack on the tounge to help stabilize it all. You may need small jacks on all 4 corners.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

my thoughts exactly on the things you added. I just need the funds now. <rubbing hands together>
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    I just need the funds now. <rubbing hands together>
    that's the story of my life!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

true dat... very slow process here with my sitch.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

If it were just me exploring the highways and byways (no wife or kids), I would go with a molded (color matching) high-cap in the back of an 8' 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford F150. I would build up a bed/platform with storage under it. I would then pull a small 5'x8' or 6'x10' enclosed featherlight style trailer. I would sleep in the truck, and have most of the gear in the trailer including kayaks, my enduro 250, a small fold out kitchenette, camp chairs, supplies, and a dedicated roll out awning off the passenger side of the trailer for shade/weather protection.

The truck would remain fairly light weight, and look like a normal truck with a color matching cap with full screen windows under the tip-up glass windows. You could leave the trailer at your campsite and ready for action at a moments notice. For heavy duty exploring, I would have my Kawasaki KLR 250 in the trailer with a drop down ramp gate, to be able to drive it right in or walk up.

I just bought an old used uhaul trailer two days ago for hundred bucks.
    Double axle.

I will start in a month or so as it's construction season and work is busy as hell
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Check out www.tnttt.com for a great forum with plans and hundreds of examples of building tiny teardrop and cargo conversion campers.

GOVT1911 is correct, I have been a member there since 2009. I started my first teardrop in 2007 and I am about to rebuild it. Failure on my part.

There is a section near the bottom on Foamies. Using the extruded blue or pink foam and that sounds interesting and NOT expensive. I love mine and it is so easy to pull.

Jack
    Life is a garden....Dig It

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
    GOVT1911 is correct, I have been a member there since 2009. I started my first teardrop in 2007 and I am about to rebuild it. Failure on my part.

There is a section near the bottom on Foamies. Using the extruded blue or pink foam and that sounds interesting and NOT expensive. I love mine and it is so easy to pull.

Jack
    Finishing up my second "teardrop" camper now. First one was on a HF trailer, current one is a super lightweight using a2x2 frame, 10mm coroplast walls covered in fiberglass on an old jetski trailer. Entire thing weighs less than 400lbs.