Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COMMS REPORTS and DISCUSSION

I may have to hang a new antenna. What I've got now works great for 20m and higher freq, ok for 40m. band conditions are such that 40m & 80M are the better bets right now it seems.

agree Austinrob,

I like 40 and 80 the best on HF.

Orangetom

Well majority of HF still NOT GOOD, although the South Texas Emergency net on 3.855 at 0730 this morning seemed to cover all the normal checkins. Put up a temp 40m end fed over at our bay house yesterday,on air at about 1:30pm, called a few of the guys on 1.25m and asked them to check 40 to see if it was dead or if it was just my station, Nope all reported they heard 0 across the entire band,at 2:15 finally heard a guy at 7.245 trying to make contact with some regulars on that freq. he could barely hear one other, and they finally gave up. Saw report strong solar winds were now causing problems, but it has been months since HF was right.

Maybe that has something to do with my HT not reaching the repeater like it did last winter.

BTW, I've made a startling discovery. In still trying to get my truck hooked up, and it's just sat there with power wire and coax run to where I want it, but nothing else done. Had ordered a flexible gooseneck type laptop holder to mount the face on, but didn't like how it took so much space for the light faceplate. Now I stumbled on a 10" gooseneck for a GoPro that I'm going to adapt to mount to side of console. It's what I've been looking for. These things have quick release things for easy removal. That means I could move the faceplate out of sight if I chose to, or just get out of the way when not using. A beauty of a plan, if I do say so.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Well King, here is how I am mounting my vehicle radios, I can change out or move mine from vehicle to vehicle in less than 10 minutes, time depending on how far I have to walk to the other vehicle.
    Ran 10 gage wire from battery to under pass seat, connected to a RIGrunner 4005, all radios have Anderson power pole connections on the power wires, have 3 radios, ranch radio under driver seat, 2m yaesu2900 75watt, in a mount on side of console pass side( large knobs to take in and out of mount no tools), TYT 9000d 220 radio between pass seat and console just wedged in, never moves.
    Antennas for ranch mounted on driver side front, and amateur both on rear above spare tire on Arizona rocky road mounts. I do have antennas on other vehicles although they are all mag mounts, not perm as on my Wrangler.
    I too have had a control head type mounted on gooseneck when I had a dual band 50 watt, but since 70cm doesn't get used down here , I took it out and went back to the ft2900.

As for the HT and repeater, the 2 nearest repeaters to ranch HQ are 7,and 13 miles, can't open either from inside house with an ht, from porch I can usually open the 7 mile repeater , but the folk Im talking with can tell when Im on ht , or base/mobile, 13mile repeater about 50%. and yes they can tell Im on a ht. That is the same with a bofart, yaesu, icom ,or a kenwood. Very few repeaters down here are tuned very well on the receive side ( I think the same x motorola tech tunes all but one repeater for the owners, the one he doesn't work on seems to work better.) so you need a good signal into the repeater. I use ht's mostly for close simplex, and for getting into a crossband setup I have here and at our bay house.
    Also 2m propagation does vary with season, time of day, solar weather, and just about anything else, just like HF , just not as noticeable ,unless you are trying to talk max distances on simplex ,then it really shows up.
    also Maybe something has changed at that repeater site, sometimes if there is a problem it takes a long while for it to get repaired, at least in this area it does. Example , the repeater 7 miles from HQ, 2m antenna has been hanging from side of tower for several months, 0 movement to get it repaired.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 08-07-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Yesterday afternoon ( Wednesday 8/17) was the best I have seen 40m and 20m in a few months!, noise level was still a little higher than normal, but almost all were 10 to 20 over in signal strength both bands. The traffic net on 7.290 was very clear as was maritime net at 14.300. Hope it stays good for a while.

Well, HF back to not so good again. High noise levels on 40 majority of time. 75m good at times but may just go away for an hour then show back up, not all that great. 17 to 10m not there ,but with solar cycle on downside that's normal. 2m dependable as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    I met last weekend with a telecom worker to hash out some ideas for wifi access while traveling. As many of you probably recall, I attend summer classes at a college about a 5 hour drive from my home for 2-3 weeks each year. While I am there, I camp on school grounds in an older model travel trailer. The trailer is equipped with a repeater connected to a 6' mast antenna. Usually, this works reasonably well for me but this year about the 2nd week I began having problems getting a decent signal. One problem is that the wifi is designed to be used primarily inside the classrooms and cafeteria. There are at least 3 network nodes within range of my repeater, and depending on conditions this causes the repeater to transition back and forth between those 3 nodes depending on which signal is strongest at the moment. That causes a glitch while transmission waits for the repeater to connect to the new node etc. It was basically unusable the last week I was there, and really spotty the previous week.

My telecom friend and I sat down and batted some ideas around. I have access to the inside of classrooms - and I believe we have figured out a way to exploit that to advantage. The setup will involve a repeater and a directional antenna, inside a box, pointing out a window toward the trailer camping area. Funneling it through the private repeater should allow me to encrypt the signal so that I'm the only user on that device. The directional antenna will send a reasonably focused signal beam in my direction, for the 6' mast to pick up. Estimated distance is about 100 feet, direct line of sight except for going through a single pane of glass and the side of a cardboard or plastic box. The antenna is rated 12db and has connection for both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. I'll need a source of power, which should be easy enough because there are outlets available. Can't wait to get the gear and test it out, just waiting on some funding at this point. The router COULD be set up to work with a 12v emergency lighting battery and a solar panel for a complete off-grid setup... while that would be fun, I don't think I have a good place to employ that in this particular situation... might be nice to have the option though for other scenarios. For instance, if you don't have access to inside the building where signal is provided, but can park your vehicle in an area of good signal outside the building, and put the wifi repeater setup inside your truck, beaming a directional signal to where you will need to use it.

As always, make sure you are an authorized user of the network and abide by the terms of service. I have reviewed the school's network/computer policies and have found nothing prohibiting what I am proposing (plenty covering cyber-bullying, go figure). So I am about as sure as I can be that there will be no legal issue with this setup. Technically, everything proposed sounds feasible to my telecom friend. The one concern that has yet to be tested is the throughput, whether the signal speed will be throttled unacceptably by having to go through TWO repeaters. Hopefully that will turn up in the testing before actually hitting the road again next year. If I get to actually realize this ambition, I will post pics and plans of the process, in case anyone wants to copy my homework and build their own.
    I have some of the parts for this project on order now... should be here in a day or two. The wifi range extender is the Amped Wireless REA20 and the directional antenna is the Hawking HOA12DP . Once they arrive I will be able to source some kind of case in which to mount them. It's about to get fun boys and girls.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.