Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with supplies for canning.

arrow sysco has a minimum purchase amount prolly about 350 you might look up grocery wholesalers on the net in your area.
    call

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Anyone use an outside propane burner for canning ? If so, what kind/size (in BTUs). Trying to keep the humidity levels down in the house.

should be enough pectin in there already, my mother in law (72) does jams and pickles as a sideline and never buys pectin or pectin sugar. the food inspectors refused to believe her. you could make a crab apple jelly to use as a thickener as that will not mess with the flavours too much. orange and lemon seeds are a good source of pectin as well.

I do my own jams and marmelades when I have a surplus of something, still getting through the lemon and cranberry xmas special.

the main problem is you are competing against mass production in a country where food is stupidly cheap to begin with. so the value is in the quality of the product and the flavour texture twists you throw in. so a French style where you save some fruit to add at the end to give a chunky visual product.
    Where there is Tea, there is hope - W.Churchill 1939 (probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Anyone use an outside propane burner for canning ? If so, what kind/size (in BTUs). Trying to keep the humidity levels down in the house.
    the water does not have to be a rolling boil and a good lid will kill the steam

that said make a nine brick stove and use wood. the aim of home canning is it is supposed to be cheap and mainly free
    Where there is Tea, there is hope - W.Churchill 1939 (probably)

I've made wild grape jelly without using pectin and the previous poster is correct.
    You just need to let it cook longer to bring out the natural pectin already in the fruit.
    I've done strawberry rhubarb preserves the same way.
    As to canning and selling them that varies from place to place. Some places require
    separate kitchen/production areas some don't. Some have a definition of "Home Made".

that link isn't working