Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with supplies for canning.

Default Help with supplies for canning.

So, wife is thinking of doing a home based business with her jams, my pickles, salsas and etc. the cost of pectin (low sugar) is a major issue in making it profitable. Example: test batch of strawberry pineapple jelly this am made 6-8oz jars, and the pectin was a little over $3.00. That's the single most expensive ingredient we used. Anybody got a source for bulk pectin?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

you can make your own from under ripe apples:

http://foragersharvest.com/making-yo...-apple-pectin/

I have some friends up in Mass that were planning on doing this, but I think guv regs and licensing basically crushed that dream. I think the first tax hurdle was the tax for thinking about doing it, not sure, and may be wrong, but something like that.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I have some friends up in Mass that were planning on doing this, but I think guv regs and licensing basically crushed that dream. I think the first tax hurdle was the tax for thinking about doing it, not sure, and may be wrong, but something like that.
    My brother makes some awesome marinades/ BBQ sauces and wanted to start a business but the guvment regulations are so burdensome that he couldn't even get started. Those idiots don't anyone to start a business.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    My brother makes some awesome marinades/ BBQ sauces and wanted to start a business but the guvment regulations are so burdensome that he couldn't even get started. Those idiots don't anyone to start a business.
    Can't start a business if your from this country. But come here from another country and they roll out the welcome and give you money!
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

If you make under 50k/year and make items not requiring refrigeration, in TX you can sell (can't wholesale, can't ship) home made baked and canned goods without even having a health department inspection. Food handler card is required, and liability insurance is encouraged/required by farmers markets. There are various labeling requirements, but it's easy compared to some other stuff.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by Ready 4 reset View Post
    Can't start a business if your from this country. But come here from another country and they roll out the welcome and give you money!
    Taxpayers pay to loose rights.

Taxpayers pay for terrorism.

How is Trump going to stop any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Taxpayers pay to loose rights.

Taxpayers pay for terrorism.

How is Trump going to stop any of this?
    Why pick on Trump ? You won't vote for anyone including Jesus himself.

This is correct but, talking to the tax accessors office, I understand it's under 5k, not 50k, but you can sell hand to hand and the gov can't touch you. Not in Texas anyway. Other states, I have no idea.

From the OP, you ask for help with supplies for canning. I'm thinking you mean differently from the title suggests because you're asking about pectin which is an ingredient and not a tool.
    There are two types of canning. Water bath canning and pressure canning.

As for pectin, you can can jams jellies and perserves without pectin. There are tons of vids and instructions for canning without pectin.
    With pretty much any fruits other than watermelon rind (which takes a whole lot longer), the natural sugar content makes it's own pectin. It takes a bit longer but it's worth it and tastes no different, but pkged pectin is not healthy as natural. The procedure is in the reduction when cooking the fruits down under much lower heat after bringing it to a boil then cooking it down under much lower heat to reduce it, bringing out it's own thick sugar content. You use the tilted frozen plate method to check the syrup consistency periodically during the process until the fruit syrup thickens and doesn't run down the frozen plate on contact. It sticks and balls up ( not runny ), just as it would with instant pectin.

Using natural pectin from apples is another method but usually changes the taste a little from the original fruit you are preserving.

The only thing I use other than the fresh fruit and sugar, is a tsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice per batch. It helps the preserved fruit from discoloring over times but it doesn't alter from the natural flavor of the fruit you are preserving.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    If you make under 50k/year and make items not requiring refrigeration, in TX you can sell (can't wholesale, can't ship) home made baked and canned goods without even having a health department inspection. Food handler card is required, and liability insurance is encouraged/required by farmers markets. There are various labeling requirements, but it's easy compared to some other stuff.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    This is correct but, talking to the tax accessors office, I understand it's under 5k, not 50k, but you can sell hand to hand and the gov can't touch you. Not in Texas anyway. Other states, I have no idea.

From the OP, you ask for help with supplies for canning. I'm thinking you mean differently from the title suggests because you're asking about pectin which is an ingredient and not a tool.
    There are two types of canning. Water bath canning and pressure canning.

As for pectin, you can can jams jellies and perserves without pectin. There are tons of vids and instructions for canning without pectin.
    With pretty much any fruits other than watermelon rind (which takes a whole lot longer), the natural sugar content makes it's own pectin. It takes a bit longer but it's worth it and tastes no different, but pkged pectin is not healthy as natural. The procedure is in the reduction when cooking the fruits down under much lower heat after bringing it to a boil then cooking it down under much lower heat to reduce it, bringing out it's own thick sugar content. You use the tilted frozen plate method to check the syrup consistency periodically during the process until the fruit syrup thickens and doesn't run down the frozen plate on contact. It sticks and balls up ( not runny ), just as it would with instant pectin.

Using natural pectin from apples is another method but usually changes the taste a little from the original fruit you are preserving.

The only thing I use other than the fresh fruit and sugar, is a tsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice per batch. It helps the preserved fruit from discoloring over times but it doesn't alter from the natural flavor of the fruit you are preserving.
    I think 5k without a sales tax number is probably correct. We wouldn't dream of doing business without giving the tax man his pound of flesh. Lol. We've done a few things without pectin, it's just if you're gonna do them in any quantity, pectin will save time.