Thread: a loss in the herd

Default a loss in the herd

I lost my cremelo stallion Docker last evening,, he was grazing on the shoulder of the driveway with some other horses ,, its about 200 feet long and lots of good grass grows on the shoulder so we let them out for about 4, 5 hours a day to trim it down,, for some reason only the geldings and a few of the lone studs go out.
    My friend was rounding up the ones closest to the gate leading back into the pasture and when she got them back in she heard screaming and turned around and he was down..laid out on all four strands of barbed wire and had bled out from a severed artery,,, that fast. You may think that studs don't get along but these younger ones did .. he was the loner and most of the time kept to himself.
    That was his down fall cause the grass at that end was very tall by the sides of the gates and we believe that's where the cat was hiding out.. A rancher friend who knows horses and cows came to check the carcass.. she had pulled him off the fence with a tow strap and brought his body to the burn pit.. there were 3 inch puncture wounds on his chest and shoulder they weren't wide just deep to stick your finger in.. he figgered it was claw marks and Docker put up a hell of a fight but lost. We had a somber discussion and came to the conclusion that it could have been my friend's life that would have been forfeit instead it was his..
    I have a colt out of him and bless his heart he has the same demeanor as his sire..
    The old 80 some odd year neighbor farmer not two miles from the place said he saw a cougar back in his windbreak not more than three or four days ago.. so its been determined that with talking to others there are at least two cougars in the area within 20 miles of us..
    I told her no longer any checking on the herd after dark,,
    I have a 30-06 and a huge spotlight but I cant travel the 65 miles one way to go out there every night.. it sucks being this far away from them but she goes out everyday to feed and water

on the other side of the pasture is another pasture rented out to someone who put about 15 big red angus bulls in there and about 3 weeks ago when I came out to visit I saw a huge bull that had gone down halfway through the four strands of wire 1/2 of him was in one pasture and the back end was in the other,, we had to call the owners and they were there in 15-20 minutes.. the next afternoon the carcass was removed along with the rest of the bulls.. now they have cow calf pairs in there.. wonder how long this is gonna last..
    My friend is making a few calls now to see who wants a mounted cougar on their mantle..
    weirder even still,, about a month ago I called her cause I had a dream that someone called me and said Docker was dead..she reminded me of that..last night. creepy
    Last edited by silvergramma; 06-16-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Danm, always something. Sorry about the lose.

Was talking to a guy in CO awhile back survived a big cat attack. Showed me the scars on his arm said it was like being in a vice.

Sounds like a wild kitty hunt is needed.