Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Mushrooms?

Default Growing Mushrooms?

So... Anyone out there growing mushrooms and able to give some advice? Would love to add this to my gardening / prepping.

I bought one of these Mini-Mushroom Farms ( https://backtotheroots.com/products/mushroomfarm ) at Home Depot and followed the instructions but got zero mushrooms. I think because it is too dry here (Colorado) and I could not seem to keep it moist no matter how frequently I watered the thing.

There is an old thread on mushrooms from 2010 ( http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/3634...light=mushroom ) but I thought I would start a new one instead of resurrecting the old one.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

I must be a mushroom.

They keep me in the dark, feed me bull ****, and everytime I stick my head up someone lops it off.

Sorry
    I couldn't help myself.

Are you growing them In a raised bed, on the ground or on a stump?
    Oh, those kits suck. I started out with the kit and quickly gave up. Waste of money. I grow $hitake, snow caps and potabelo mushrooms. Lots and lots of organic matter, shavings and sanitized compost. I usually use compost that came directly from the mushroom place locally since they already have everything needed to get a good crop but I amend it every 4 to 6 weeks. Those kits from a store front are no good. Most of the spores are already either depleted or dead from mishandling.
    Have you ever grown African Violets? Kind of the same process but organic materials rather than chemercial products.
    They love dark dampness. A heavy cardboard box kept wet inside and out. It you can build a mini greenhouse frame outside and cover it with black plastic and put a small humidifyer in there with them, that will help. First off, get your spores from a reliable source.
    In order to be successful, you absolutely need 5 major things.
    Darkness
    Damp,(not wet) and no drafts (the weather inside needs to be humid and sultry
    Warmth
    And the right compost.( Mushrooms are picky. )
    Healthy live spores
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 05-23-2016 at 06:43 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Have you ever grown African Violets?
    Wow, my mom and both my grand-moms grew them. Haven't thought of them in years, thanks for the blast from the past !!

Last edited by driftz240; 05-24-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Are you growing them In a raised bed, on the ground or on a stump?
    Oh, those kits suck. I started out with the kit and quickly gave up. Waste of money. I grow $hitake, snow caps and potabelo mushrooms. Lots and lots of organic matter, shavings and sanitized compost. I usually use compost that came directly from the mushroom place locally since they already have everything needed to get a good crop but I amend it every 4 to 6 weeks. Those kits from a store front are no good. Most of the spores are already either depleted or dead from mishandling.
    Have you ever grown African Violets? Kind of the same process but organic materials rather than chemercial products.
    They love dark dampness. A heavy cardboard box kept wet inside and out. It you can build a mini greenhouse frame outside and cover it with black plastic and put a small humidifyer in there with them, that will help. First off, get your spores from a reliable source.
    In order to be successful, you absolutely need 5 major things.
    Darkness
    Damp,(not wet) and no drafts (the weather inside needs to be humid and sultry
    Warmth
    And the right compost.( Mushrooms are picky. )
    Healthy live spores
    How did I know it was going to be you- The Garden Queen- that was going to say "Why yes I grow them all the time".

So been reading other sites over the last few days. Seems awfully complicated. And expensive. Is it worth the time and expense when the local grocery store has a good selection? And would you be able to keep a steady flow growing after the SHTF and the mushroom spore stores close?
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Well, you did ask, and being I'm a horticulture fanatic.. LOL

Same way as anything else. mushroom propagate. The concentration is on the host it growns on or from.
    Mushroom will continue to reproduce on their own with the right environment you provide in containment.
    People tend to care things to death. That causes exaggerated and unnecessary expense.

So I like occasional sautéed Mushrooms, and a grilled ****ake or Portabella works, but as difficult as they seem to be, are the nutrients there to justify the spent time? I never considered them a super food.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Potabelo's are considered the steak in veggie form. Protein and iron. Mushrooms help sustain a healthy immune system, so yes, very worth the effort!

Didn't know that. Thought they were just the fungus among us.

My wives best friend from Zapata, Texas is married to a liberal, is somewhere between agnostic and atheist, and lives in NH. The two of them growing up had a male friend that is a switch hitter. Lives and maybe is married to another dude. Last summer friend was here, and wife invited friend and partner( I don't know which is the wife), to the house for the day. Partner is vegetarian, or vegan, I don't know which so I had to grill a Portobello for a veggie burger for him.

Lets just say it was an interesting day.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 05-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields