Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gallstones

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    .....You'd be surprised at how many people work so very hard to get admitted...
    Actually, my insurance only pays for an ER "visit", if I get admitted.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Saw that headline about the leading causes of death. Wonder how many deaths are the result of post-op infections or hospital acquired whatever, or if those numbers are even included.

I was fearing that surgery would be recommended for me, read that ultrasound to break up the stones or that drugs are sometimes prescribed but surgery (gall bladder-ectomy?) seems the most common treatment. Wasn't even sure it was gallstones until the last day of the "treatment", woke up after taking the laxatives the night before and the pain had moved about 6" lower so knew *something* was making it's way out.

The surprising thing to me was that it doesn't seem to be really discussed as a treatment by the medical community. Maybe it's only effective in 2% of the cases and I was one of the lucky ones, or maybe the stones could cause something worse like a bowel obstruction on their way out or something, but I'd have thought it'd still be mentioned in the general medical information. Not suggesting it's a Dr or drug company conspiracy, just odd that it seems to have worked so well but isn't really mentioned anywhere except in the natural/homepathic/alternative medicine circles. If the treatment had called for more exotic ingredients than just apples, epsom salt, and olive oil I'd probably have just figured it was snake oil.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Actually, my insurance only pays for an ER "visit", if I get admitted.
    That's harsh... Don't break an arm or need stitches...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    And MDs with guns is a whole different level...
    Well, i have two trauma skills....fixing them

And causing them....
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Saw that headline about the leading causes of death. Wonder how many deaths are the result of post-op infections or hospital acquired whatever, or if those numbers are even included.

I was fearing that surgery would be recommended for me, read that ultrasound to break up the stones or that drugs are sometimes prescribed but surgery (gall bladder-ectomy?) seems the most common treatment. Wasn't even sure it was gallstones until the last day of the "treatment", woke up after taking the laxatives the night before and the pain had moved about 6" lower so knew *something* was making it's way out.

The surprising thing to me was that it doesn't seem to be really discussed as a treatment by the medical community. Maybe it's only effective in 2% of the cases and I was one of the lucky ones, or maybe the stones could cause something worse like a bowel obstruction on their way out or something, but I'd have thought it'd still be mentioned in the general medical information. Not suggesting it's a Dr or drug company conspiracy, just odd that it seems to have worked so well but isn't really mentioned anywhere except in the natural/homepathic/alternative medicine circles. If the treatment had called for more exotic ingredients than just apples, epsom salt, and olive oil I'd probably have just figured it was snake oil.
    Cholelithectomy.....chole (koll-e) for the gall bladder, lith for stones, ectomy for surgical removal..

These days it's pretty benign - done laparoscopically, three small incisions and at most a night in the hospital.

I had an open chole (with an 18" scar under my right rib cage) in 1982....in the hospital for more than two weeks, another 6 weeks of recovery. But I was pretty sick.

Ultrasonic (lithotripsy) doesn't work too well on gall stones since they include a lot of 'sand' looking material that keeps the bigger stones from breaking apart.

And while health care can always do better at preventing hospital-acquired illness, the absolute rate is actually pretty low....when a hospital has a problem with them it becomes big news, but the rates per patient in the 'best' hospitals vs. the 'not best' in N. America aren't really that far apart. And generally, the care received in the 'best' vs. 'not best' hospitals isn't that different: Whatever procedure you need, your best bet is to find someone who is well experienced in it.

My gall bladder, for instance - I got an original diagnosis from a very experienced surgeon at a small community hospital, decided to get another opinion (always a good idea for anything not immediately life-threatening) and went to UCLA medical center, where the senior surgical resident (student) checked me out, brought in the Chief of the GI surgical service, who checked me and I was in the hospital the next week. I expected the resident to handle it, as it happened my surgery took 5 hours and had the Chief of Service with his hands in me because it was a lot worse than everyone expected.

Experience counts.
    Last edited by Fidel. MD; 05-09-2016 at 07:40 AM.
    Good medicine in bad places

I would have been dead on several different occasions if it weren't for Doctors and modern hospitals. And don't forget those smart hard working nurses. That being said beware the hospitals being run by accountants. The care suffers sometimes even tho good people are working there in the mud, blood and beer.
    One tip if you are going to be hospitalized, have a trusted friend or two ready to sit by your bedside and be your advocate. Perhaps with a tablet to check things out and insure your care is consistent with accepted practices.

Expensive or unavailable insurance is a problem. we have a "homestead" exemption on our place so hopefully we will not loose it if we go medically bankrupt. Right now it cost about $40,000 for a air evacuation of about 200 miles here in central montana..

up here where I live there are a lot of folks who use home remedies,, anything by dr. Christopher.omg. but also practical things as well.. the old saying... an apple a day keeps the doctor away... pectin,, gallstones
    I know of a young lady who wasn't eating right and drinking enough water,.,, she was guzzling soda like nobodies business,, it aint water.. so she did the research and olive oil and apple juice ,, took awhile but she took care of it.,,, and yes they are preppers ... these are the folks who enlightened me..not the ones who believe only in spiritual healing but just common sense stuff,, be aware ,, be prepared.. knowledge is the greatest tool you can have.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    the old saying... an apple a day keeps the doctor away... pectin,, gallstones
    Occurred to me too since I don't eat enough fruit. Welcome back gramma.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.