Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small quake on the New Madrid yesterday (04/01/16)

Default Small quake on the New Madrid yesterday (04/01/16)

3.5 magnitude quake on the New Madrid yesterday.

That is all.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/31858264...r-la-center-ky

Or if you like a little more drama.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...t-seismic-zone
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Small quakes = good.

Big quakes = BAD!
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Small quakes = good.

Big quakes = BAD!
    The second (more melodramatic) article raises the possibility of it being a fore-shock that might precede "the Big One". But definitely agree- better to have 20 little quakes than letting the fault lock and have one big one.

Well, when was the last time the New Madrid has a quake of this magnitude? If it was last month, no big deal. But if it was 75 years ago then you might want to keep a keen eye on the area.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

People seem to look at small quakes and say no big deal.

There have been more swarms of earthquakes all over the world. And quite a few have gone from a series of smaller magnitudes to much larger.

There's a number of geologist n scientist who say these are the build up to much larger events. I would concur.

There's another alignment coming up next month which could trigger large quakes in several different areas.

Some folks talk about continent splitting quakes. With the phenomenon in space getting closer, it's just a matter of time.

How would something that splits america, to where there isn't a bridge across the mississippi, impact logistic support? Yet there are generals talking about infastructure breaking down and people needing to be prepared for no food in the store for prolonged periods. Not just weeks but months. Knock the power out, then society doesn't do so well.

Ex. Look at japan, large n small quakes with 3 feet of plate movement. Some say it will cause Japan to basically split in half, I would say that's likely. It all doesn't happen in a day.
    Last edited by Alredneck; 05-02-2016 at 03:43 PM.

I understood small quakes vented off to weaken pressure to lessen the chances of catostophic quakes.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I understood small quakes vented off to weaken pressure to lessen the chances of catostophic quakes.
    Yes. and No.

A small quake can help reduce the threat from a big quake especially if they occur on a regular basis. But a small quake- especially in an area where pressure is known to have built up and no other small quakes have been recorder can be the first little slip of a cataclysmic quake.

For instance the San Andreas fault in California is a slip-strike fault where 2 plates are moving in opposite directions at about a rate of 1.5 inches per year. So if each year you had a little earthquake where the land moved 1.5 inches you would never have a big one. Since the last big quake (the Loma Prieta in 1989) the plates should have moved about 40 inches. While there have been a lot of little earthquakes since then but I suspect a lot of that built up energy is still waiting to be released.

The New Mardid fault is more unpredictable because the fault it less well understood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Another example was the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. That fault has both slip-strike and subduction elements and when it let loose the land shifted

"More spectacularly, there was 10 m (33 ft) movement laterally and 45 m (1316 ft) vertically along the fault line..... The Andaman and Nicobar Islands appear to have shifted south-west by around 1.25 m (4 ft 1 in) and to have sunk by 1 m (3 ft 3 in)."

From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_I...ke_and_tsunami

It is a very active zone but we are now more than 100 years over the last major earthquake. Granted in geological time that is very small but still something to monitor.

I am so ignorant when it comes to quakes other than the ground opens up and destroys everything in it's path. They scare the crap out of me. I was in LA when that one happened in the early 90's. I never want to experience that again!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.