Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small quake on the New Madrid yesterday (04/01/16)

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    People seem to look at small quakes and say no big deal.

There have been more swarms of earthquakes all over the world. And quite a few have gone from a series of smaller magnitudes to much larger.

There's a number of geologist n scientist who say these are the build up to much larger events. I would concur.

There's another alignment coming up next month which could trigger large quakes in several different areas.

Some folks talk about continent splitting quakes. With the phenomenon in space getting closer, it's just a matter of time.

How would something that splits america, to where there isn't a bridge across the mississippi, impact logistic support? Yet there are generals talking about infastructure breaking down and people needing to be prepared for no food in the store for prolonged periods. Not just weeks but months. Knock the power out, then society doesn't do so well.

Ex. Look at japan, large n small quakes with 3 feet of plate movement. Some say it will cause Japan to basically split in half, I would say that's likely. It all doesn't happen in a day.
    And most small earthquakes don't amount to a thing......
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I am so ignorant when it comes to quakes other than the ground opens up and destroys everything in it's path. They scare the crap out of me. I was in LA when that one happened in the early 90's. I never want to experience that again!
    I grew up in Los Angeles, so quakes aren't much of a deal for me. The Northridge quake was a big one, as was the Loma Prieta and Coalinga quakes...but other than that, yawn.

I was in Japan once on business, staying near Mt Fuji, and a pretty good quake hit in the middle of the night. It woke me up, I saw what had happened, and went back to sleep. About a half-hour later the hotel manager knocks on the door (the phones were out) to see if I was OK - when I told him I was from LA he smiled and apologized for waking me.

The Kyoto quake in Japan was quite bad...I was asked to go a year after and be part of a review panel on the response. That was a bad quake. The differences are mainly in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    Another example was the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. That fault has both slip-strike and subduction elements and when it let loose the land shifted

"More spectacularly, there was 10 m (33 ft) movement laterally and 45 m (1316 ft) vertically along the fault line..... The Andaman and Nicobar Islands appear to have shifted south-west by around 1.25 m (4 ft 1 in) and to have sunk by 1 m (3 ft 3 in)."

From Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_I...ke_and_tsunami
    The big damage from that was the tsunami, just like in Fukushima....not the earthquake. As it happens, we had just left Thailand (Phuket) the evening before, and were landing in Honolulu when it was announced... A few weeks later I was back there on the USNS Mercy (T-AH-19) Hospital Ship....

Ha! More power to ya. You can keep them. When I saw that upper freeway colapsed on top of those cars full of people on the lower freeway, that was plenty to keep me away. I was there for two weeks and several follow up after shocks. I was nervous as a cat. The distruction was mind blowing. I never was so glad to be leaving from a place, regardless of how beautiful the scenery. I remember driving down Whittier Blvd and the road started waving up and down like an ocean. I don't know how to drive in those conditions. lol

The people were really nice, undertanding and compassionate to my fear but I never went back.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 05-03-2016 at 02:48 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    The big damage from that was the tsunami, just like in Fukushima....not the earthquake.
    Oh I know- but why did they get a tsunami? Because the land beneath the sea jumped 16 feet up from where it had previously been creating a giant wave. I just think its amazing that giant chunks of the earth can suddenly decide to move dozens of feet. Some of my favorite pictures are roads in earthquake hit areas that don't match up anymore- being ofset from each other by many feet. Amazing.

Like this http://naturalhistory.si.edu/earth/text/3_2_3_2.html
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    Oh I know- but why did they get a tsunami? Because the land beneath the sea jumped 16 feet up from where it had previously been creating a giant wave. I just think its amazing that giant chunks of the earth can suddenly decide to move dozens of feet. Some of my favorite pictures are roads in earthquake hit areas that don't match up anymore- being ofset from each other by many feet. Amazing.

Like this http://naturalhistory.si.edu/earth/text/3_2_3_2.html
    LOL, yes it is.

Another amazing fact: Most of the destruction of the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 wasn't caused by the earthquake....It was caused by the decision by General Frederick Funston, the Commander of the Presidio of San Francisco, who declared martial law - without the authority to do so, and then decided to start dynamiting 'fire breaks' in the city.....

Unfortunately, he couldn't control the fires the fire breaks caused, which is what caused the majority of the damage.

Under his illegal, unconstitutional and criminal usurpation of martial law, he ordered looters to be shot on sight, by US Army troops. Hundreds, if not thousands, were killed illegally thereby. Some may have actually been looters, but in fact they were executed illegally.

So, what happened to Funston? He went on to suppressing a labor dispute with the IWW (communists, all), commanded what is now the Command and General Staff College, and served in WWI. He died from a heart attack at 51. There was a coastal artillery installation named after him in SW San Francisco (Ft. Funston), part of the Golden Gate National Park now... Being awarded a Medal of Honor (for work in the Phillipine insurrection) kept him out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    The big damage from that was the tsunami, just like in Fukushima....not the earthquake. As it happens, we had just left Thailand (Phuket) the evening before, and were landing in Honolulu when it was announced... A few weeks later I was back there on the USNS Mercy (T-AH-19) Hospital Ship....
    That was fun times. It was amazing the devastation the Tsunami delivered. Funny the only thing left standing where the mosques. Seeing that helped push me towards preparedness when I got out.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Have we not tried to discuss, sinking land in places?

The craton is moving, some land gets pushed up, some down.

Bigger effects are coming.

Fissures n sinkholes opening up all over, it will get worse.

If you look at the earth like a big nuc, that has to balance it's mass to adjust to shifts in frequency things would make more sense, but nobody talks about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Have we not tried to discuss, sinking land in places?

The craton is moving, some land gets pushed up, some down.

Bigger effects are coming.

Fissures n sinkholes opening up all over, it will get worse.

If you look at the earth like a big nuc, that has to balance it's mass to adjust to shifts in frequency things would make more sense, but nobody talks about that.
    Why would the mass adjust due to frequency? What frequency?