Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious weather Okla. TX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Serious weather Okla. TX

Hope all ya'll in northern Texas and all of Oklahoma are keeping up with the weather.
    Storms forming now in NW Texas, Oklahoma.
    Prediction's are up to softball size hail, tornado's, winds in excess of 80+mph.
    I reckon Kansas will get some too.

I'm taking this one seriously.
    Perfect conditions for violent storms.

I've been near 3 days preparing for it, finally got all my ammo, firearms, important papers, lanterns, water/food, etc..underground.

I'll have to get my old Daddy out of bed, put him in the wheelchair, and take him to the above ground concrete shelter since he cannot walk.
    I hate that dang thing. But that's all we can do with him, my Mother and their dogs.
    I've trying to convince them to berm up the shelter with a couple bob-tail loads of dirt..this would ease my mind.

Ya'll be safe out there.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Yep, been reading about this storm. I sure am glad to hear you are preparing early. If it's as bad as they say it will be, my advice is to take a trip due South for a day or two with the folks. Is that concrete shelter depressed into the ground at all?
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Yeah, this turned from a large hail maker to a large hail maker AND a long track tornado maker according to the weather people.

I'm at the south end of where the really nasty stuff is supposed to be. My family and I just moved into a 2 story house a couple of months ago, and our house is the only 2 story house on our street which makes me a little concerned if 80 mph winds hit. I stocked the downstairs closet this morning, just in case we need to take cover. A storm shelter of some type might just be on the list of things we need after all of this is over.

The biggest threat we are under here is very large hail, from gold ball to grapefruit size hail but we won't get any. My truck needs some body work and because of that, we won't get any bad hail here. Now if I had a brand new truck in the driveway, that would be a guaranteed way of having major hail. Kind of like if you want it to rain go wash your car.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Been moving potted plants since 4pm, covered the small maters in the beds with a plastic pot wedged down inside the tomato cage. It won't protect against big stuff, but small stuff (hopefully). Cars are inside, I've got a bag of miracle gro soil ready for the windshield of my company car (don't care about it, just would like to be able to drive it to the office for a replacement) drill batteries charged, tarps and cap nails staged, just moved 60 potted plants up under our pergola, once again, no true protection, but the louvered top will stop a small amount of hail, also moved the mater buckets up against the east side of my west facing fence, the storm is coming out of the west, so hopefully we'll have the protection of the fence. Last year in April, I put in steel posts for that side, so it should hold unless we get 80mph straight line winds.

Gonna be fun here.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Woke to 1/2 - 1 in hail this am...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Y'all be careful!!
    Live Free or Die

This is what we prep for. Be safe you guys and check in asap after it passes.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I'm on the computer at the folks house.
    One cellar is underground, one is what they call a 'safe-room' type shelter. It's made of concrete/steel/thick steel door, with 3 big locks on it.
    I would trust the one above ground, if it had a berm around 3 sides, and facing east, and had 8 ft. pier holes dug, with steel, then concrete...but it's not.
    As it is now, it's facing south, no berm, just sitting on a 2 1/2 foot deep concrete pad, with steel in the pad.
    I don't care for it, I rather be underground.

When it gets dark, loss of daytime heating will help lots.
    I'm hoping it will turn into a squawl line, and tone down some.
    The line is west of Wichita FAlls, Tx, so by the time it gets here, it will be dark thirty or better.

I'm worn out toting crap down in the cellar.
    I don't have insurance, can't get it due to the age of my house, and having a wood stove, and so far from a fire dept., they won't touch it.

Sitting and waiting now, sluggin some coffee.

Best of luck everyone. Sounds like you are all prepared as best you can. Make notes on what worked and what didn't for later.

5 years ago this coming Thursday we got hit with major hail up to golf ball size. Trashed our house, camper, 2 vehicles, garden, and several trees. We had three different cells roll thru between 8 and 11pm. Made for a long night for sure. You will all be in our prayers.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Finally made it back to the house.
    All is good here.

Storms started getting rowdy around 6 pm or so west of me 2 hours.
    But they were not as stout as predicted in southern Okla/north Texas.
    There's been a cap over us, and the line of storms did not bust through it like the weather guys thought.
    Anyway, it slowed the line of storms down some, and then started losing daytime heat.
    That really helped out.

But Whitesboro, Texas got hammered from what I understand.
    That same storm produced 91 mph winds in Sherman, Tx according to a storm spotter that has a small weather station at his house.
    Lots of trees down.

I was as worried about baseball up to softball size hail as much as the tornado's.
    I've seen the destruction of hail that big, it's some nasty stuff. One of my buddy's I bale hay for had some cattle killed by hail a few years back, I've seen holes in the roofs of houses, vehicle bodies/windows that were scrap after that kind of beating.

I worry about the people east of us now in Arkansas and on east tomorrow.

I need to build some sort of walkway to the above ground shelter so my Dad's wheelchair can roll on it easier.
    It gets real soft, muddy and some standing water in that area.
    That'll be on my list the next couple weeks.