Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious weather Okla. TX

Looks like there is more coming. Just looked at the weather and it's a fat red line from Corpus, swinging around and up towards Austin and us here and follows on up your way, Trapper. It's predicting 3" an hour. Yeesh! Don't know how fast it's moving but with that much rain an hour, I hope it's moving fast. We are already soggy down here.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

We're ok today, and tomorrow.
    Storms are coming again Thursday night, into most of day Friday.
    Then next week, it starts all over from what the weather said.

We're soaked here too, but rather it rain now than when I start baling hay, or try to start.
    Last year was a mess. There is lots of underground springs on one place I bale, and getting a tractor stuck
    is a pain.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Yeah, the hay bailers here are fretting too. They have cut and bailed the first growth already. Second cutting is on hold because of all the rain. Least it isn't cut and on the ground yet. This could be a blessing in disguise. It could very well promote a 4th or even a 5th cutting. That will help bring the prices down a little more along with fuel cost being low. I wouldn't mind paying only 2.00 a bail again. Been a while. Right now it's 4.00 in the field, 5.00 in the barn.

Most of what I bale is cut only once. We try to get 20,000 square bales, and up to 1000 round bales for that one guy.
    Native grass usually.
    Reason being, the protein content is highest in mid June.
    I'll bale up bermuda in a couple places, but it's not ready either.
    Then I have a couple of sudan hay patches, and some love grass patches.

I like to be done with it all by mid July, but last year, it was up in September.
    And I need my shop going back by that time. I usually fire it back up right before dove season, lots of shotguns come in to have light repairs, new recoil pads, sights, cleaning and such.

I'm baling quite a bit on shares, so I have some to sell during the winter for extra cash, and help feed my two goats, and hay for the chicken/duck/geese nest in spring.

Anyway, I got my tractors stuck 3 times last year, the ground looks dry, then they bottom out.
    My buddy stuck his 90 horse Massey up to the rear axle last year, and that ground looked as dry as the rest.
    Then the people coming in to pick up the hay they bought, I have to drag them around in places with the tractor or they spin and tear the field up.

Weather is updating us to 'moderate' risk on tornado's on Friday.
    I'm ready for it, or ready as can be under the circumstances.

Glad you all are coming thru good so far. We got a whole .25" last night. I'll take it.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

My area:

Friday Night 100 % Precip. / 1 in
    Thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Low 68F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall possibly over one inch.

Never heard how much rain we got Tuesday night here.

We are still in a flood warning.
    riding some of the back roads up north I had one low water crossing that was maybe 6 inches.

This area was outside of the line. But barely.
    Last edited by Nicor; 04-28-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Multiple rotation sightings, I lost count about 20 minutes ago, but at that time there were 12 sightings of rotations
    from Howe, Sherman, Van Alstyne, Denison up northeast into Bryan county Okla.

All this is south of me 15 minutes as the crow flies.
    Weather has been non-stop on the tv, NWS spotters constant on 147.000.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Multiple rotation sightings, I lost count about 20 minutes ago, but at that time there were 12 sightings of rotations
    from Howe, Sherman, Van Alstyne, Denison up northeast into Bryan county Okla.

All this is south of me 15 minutes as the crow flies.
    Weather has been non-stop on the tv, NWS spotters constant on 147.000.
    The wall cloud was just a few miles west of us tracking NE. We're in McKinney.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Damn bud. Keep your ears and eyes open and your head down as much as you can. We're catching the tail end of what you are getting. Not much rain but some serious circling wind., thunder and lightening in the distance.
    Keep us updated.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Stay safe guys and good luck.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.