Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cascadia Subduction Zone Drill

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Default CSZ

ak, thanks. Was a little concerned about the linkage with FEMA. I tried several times to join this blog, but had history with an agency with acronym DHS. Al, I am not a geologic scientist, I'll ask the question but doubt the people I am working with will give me an answer you can relate to. Bear in mind folks, I am way in over my head and wish I had never opened this Pandora's box. So here's what I know preparing for this drill. BTW, I don't sleep well at nights having done the research.

1. A full rip of the CSZ will be the worst, emphasize worst, disaster in US history. Katrina, Sandy and Loma Prieta (I was there in '89) is mice nuts compared to this this . Google a guy by the name of James Roddey. He is a geologist with the state of Oregon. Nickname is the "Prophet of Doom". Funny guy, dry sense of humor, a certified smart guy. Scares the hell out me. Not because I live in the worst of the zone, but what will happen when it lets go. I think if the earthquake happens when i am alive, I will sleep late that day.

2. Bloody drills, bloodless wars. Preparing for an event takes effort, research an serious thinking. Most don't want to go through the effort. DHS and FEMA are still talking the three day kit. Good luck with that. SW Washington, Just east of the Cascades, no helicopters for weeks. It will take the Navy weeks to position ships. And that is what the region will need. In the meantime, people will die. Many people will die. Again, google CSZ earthquake. Kingchip, how about that room?

3. If you live on the coast, below 100 mean altitude above low tide, it was nice knowing you. If the fault rips tonight, we might find whats left of you in July, maybe later. 22K dead in Japan (perhaps the best prepared nation on earth in 2011). On Boxer Day in 2004, 250,000 dead. Hard to get your head around that.

4. Can't stop it, can't make it go away, maybe hope it doesn't happen in your lifetime. Yeah howdy. Having a sustainable plan helps, but I'll tell you folks, this is going to be a bad day for many. This is what I hear from CERT monthly, from indirect contacts from various Fed, State and County level EMS and what the casual research indicates. Need a reason to prepare, and I mean No BS prepare...live between Redding CA and Vancouver BC, here's a wake up call. this ain't Bernie or Hillary. It's a clear and present danger.

5. On the other hand, maybe it won't happen soon. 1 in 10 chance in the next 50 years. I would really like to live in a world with Faeries and Unicorns, but Seattle is way up the road from me. Alred, I don't really focus on causation, I worry about how the hell I protect my family, friends and MAG. That's how this cowboy rolls.

I think Jim Beam and I will spend some time together this weekend. If you need another reason to prepare and live in the PNW, this is it. Now hopefully I am wrong and my kids can continue to use the "chicken little" meme. I would not be unhappy with that. But the truth be told, I hope I am passed if this event happens. Just my humble opinion and YMMV.

Ez
    Last edited by Ezmony; 04-23-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Being old

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
    has anyonyone looked at the sun spot cycle latlely the electromagnetic field gets really weird shortly
    before the sun goes into a cooling period(iceage). the sun effects the earths magnetic field in such a way
    that we have global earth changes eg,earthquakes,floods, tsunamis,ect....
    There was a sunspot that just arced over which caused I think it was a m class flare that glanced by us which possibly triggered some of the activity that occurred over the last few days.

Some folks say this is new science and working on figuring it out. I'd argue the ancients had this science and we are just relearning it. A lot has been taken to be used by the so called elite, some is just lost to history from previous cycles and wars.
    It comes in pieces and fragments similar the way archeologists dig it up. It takes awhile to put it all together.

Ez, I've been studying these things as an amateur, as I build knowledge n math skills trying to get into engineering school.
    My math is the weakest link in my studies and one reason I took machining out in Colorado last year. Trying to see how the numbers translate into the dimensions. Try in learn everyday.

Dhs gives me problems along with other vets, because we speak out and look out for each other and people's property. Something the govt doesn't seem to have much respect for these days. I do look at dhs as the modern equivalent to the nazis gestapo, cause like many feds they just do what they are told. Many in federal govt consider us vets terrorist in this country sad, cause we are the ones who fought for so much.

There are various agendas being used to control the population so information gets suppressed. If you look at the numbers just in expected property lose, the govt has no reason to inform the people. I believe folks should have an option to be able to decide what's best for themselves and their families.

I would argue that what comes to the madrid could possibly be worst than the Pacific nw. If the plate goes south of cali, it could cause south america to swing up, resulting in the lose of Panama parts of mexico, n trigger massive tsunamis in the Gulf and pacific. Some say this is a growing possibility.
    Last edited by Alredneck; 04-21-2016 at 09:31 PM.

nice article on the subject - from England no less
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Northwest.html

This kinda goes along with the OP and what Alredneck has been saying.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

😱... My brain hurts...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Exercise was pretty much what I expected. Very glad to be far inland. Read another thread about where you want to move to. I would avoid the Oregon/Washington coast. Wait until after the quake and you can get cheap, undeveloped beach front property for a dime on the dollar. If you work construction, heavy equipment or health, Boise or Spokane might be a good place to relocate to for the short term. I'll leave it up to the professionals to evaluate the problem, but I will pose this question to Fidel MD. What if 5-8 million people have limited access to potable water, effective health care and essentially live in an environment that equates to the early 1800's? Not for ever, just for 3-6 months. That's what a CSZ quake will do. I have heard "experts" expound on the massive response that will occur after such an event. How the Ports, Roads and Air facilities will be rebuild quickly? One of my kids was on the Boxer in early 2005 responding to the disaster in Sumatra. He said it was bigger than us. I think the same will be true here. Many on this site are preparing for all the right reasons. Here is another. This will affect all of us to some extent. So I am going to tend the cattle, make another order on Emergency Essentials and hope this is just an exercise. Maybe buy a case or two of Beam or Makers. This is not something that will materially affect folks east of the Rockies. But will be festive for those of us in the west.

Ez