Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: could this really be the shtf moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
    Still related I think... the following is a comment posted about the article on that site.

"So if the dollar is displaced as the world reserve currency, then the demise of the petro-dollar will swiftly follow. What will replace it, the new gold backed Chinese currency? If oil can only be purchased by gold backed currencies, then I suspect that the United States would quickly remove all restrictions and become the worlds largest oil exporter. Using the gold backed currency income from the purchase of its oil, America could take advantage and pay off its (now severely depreciated) dollar debt. This scenario alone may keep China from acting in such a manner."

OPEC has been wanting to get away from the USD oil pricing for long time now and moving to the Euro.
    OPEC could change its view of the Euro and want to go with the yuan.
    When Saudi arabia dropped the price on oil a Lil while back was due to a treaty signed by a bunch of countries, revalued commodities to the gold standard between these countries. When prices go back up due to inflation, watch the value of gold go up.

If they start a war with China in a few days, expect something worse than the depression in the 1930s. Also expect nuclear war.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I wonder what the cost per oz is to turn what ever into what ever???
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

It far exceeds the value of the "natural" material... Which doesn't increase the value of ______, just makes it not worth converting.
    777 FGG

I wonder if it would do better than bitcoin.

4,days away, hmmm i think to err on the side of caution i'll go shopping,
    i thought of getting a few sawyer mini filters for barter and some other things as well.
    better safe than sorry i say. this whole SHTF thing was going to come one day
    why else do we wave this fourm and all the others?

top off the tanks, fill the fuel cans or barrels, and keep your eyes and ears open.
    events like this can get real wierd real fast, anyone remember the news piece not long ago
    of a mess of chinese subs going dark, hmmm so where are they now.

While it is true about China making a gold-backed Yuan on 4-19 I believe they have now pushed it back a little. I do not believe this will be a catastrophic event.
    I do wonder about all the 'emergency' Federal Reserve meetings, IMF meetings, G20 banks meetings, and Janet Yellen meeting with Obama. Again could be nothing but could be something.
    But the central banks have several times pulled a rabbit out of their hats and could likely do so again. At least for a temporary measure.

Yeah, whatever...btw, if a seller is willing to give me yuan for dollars, it doesn't matter what China says is legal.
    Good medicine in bad places

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by TripSeven View Post
    It far exceeds the value of the "natural" material... Which doesn't increase the value of ______, just makes it not worth converting.
    exactly...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Even if this new currency is not tradeable for U.S. Dollars it still is (presumably) tradeable for other currencies, which are tradable for U.S. Dollars so it would be pointless to prevent the direct transfer to U.S. Currency
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

The last thing China wants to do is have the US collapse. They depend on us far too much to market their goods to. Of course, this all changes if there is a WW, then all bets are off, but then again, so will the world ledger of who owes who what. Who really benefits from that happening......not China, not Japan........

Joe - NY