Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foreign & Domestic Part IV - Colder Weather

This is great! I just found the other parts so am backing up to part one. Thanks for your books

Default Thoughts on adding this??

I've been doing my research, like a good little author should, and something has always bothered me when it came to fictional works dealing with EMP's. What about the nuclear reactors? Including the catastrophic effects from most/all reactor meltdowns in the continental US would be a huge buzz kill in any book. People just can't envision that. Some authors who have had their books turned into TV shows and movies have the benefit of Hollywood visuals to help tell the story. Describing it and including it almost forces the author to make the radiation a character, like an antagonist.

So I've included the following in my book as a bit of a disclaimer. Is it too much? Not needed? Let me know.

Thanks.

Dave

-----

A Note from the Author

Many writers within the fiction and dystopian genres are doing their readers a huge disservice when it comes to writing about EMP’s. Willingly, or knowingly, or not, many of the descriptions used fictionally to illustrate these after-effects, more often than not, tend to only include the topics that are most likely to be relatable to the reader’s imagination (death, disease, starvation, etc.). Readers have seen PSA’s and infomercials on TV. They’ve heard pleas on the radio for donations after a tragedy. These are images that are already seared into their minds eye.

However, a key topic that is often not included, or at a minimum is glossed over while offering as few words as possible, in any sort of post-apocalyptic work is an EMP’s effects on nuclear reactors.
    I wanted to take this opportunity to provide a statement and some general assumptions regarding this potential hazard.

1. It is not in dispute that the United States electrical grid is vulnerable to an EMP. However, no one knows what will happen with regard to a nuclear power plants ability to shut down gracefully since we’ve never been targeted with an EMP by a foreign or domestic actor.
    2. Many scientists and scholars believe that, due to the large diesel reserves for the backup generators (typically between 50,000-75,000 gallons), the reactors will be able to shut down gracefully and avoid a meltdown ala Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima.
    3. Skeptics decry the government’s assurances, and their seemingly abundant faith, in the generators starting up due to the known electrical disturbances that accompany an EMP. Presumably this is because plant owner/operators have not disclosed whether or not the generators are adequately shielded from an EMP.
    4. Skeptics also point out that, due to the limited fuel capacity coupled with a presumed lack of transportation to replenish exhausted fuel supplies, the plants operators are merely delaying the inevitable. Believing, instead, that once the fuel runs out, the pools used to keep the rods cool will eventually evaporate, thereby resulting in a full-fledged uncontrolled meltdown.
    5. Scholars, scientists, skeptics, and government officials are all in agreement that, given the placement of nuclear reactor’s within the continental United States, should we be stricken by an EMP, the resulting potential/hypothetical meltdown(s) would have a devastating effect. So much so, that most of the continental United States from the Mississippi River east to the Atlantic would be rendered a radiation nightmare.

It is my assertion that, because of the potential for so much widespread radiation leakage, a large swath of the population will contract some form of radiation sickness and likely perish.

Frankly, this is the sole reason I do not address it in my series… it’s just too damn depressing to conceive and contemplate let alone write about it.

Just know that this author has read up on it. I fully understand, conceptually at least, exactly what the effects of a meltdown would be with regard to the immediate site as well as the down-wind vicinities. I am choosing not to address it because the inclusion of this truth would prohibit the continuation of the series, or any series, as a whole.

I hope you continue to enjoy the series. Stay vigilant.
    Hannibal ad portas

How can I find them on kindle? I looked for foreign and domestic it brought up over 2200 books.........
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    How can I find them on kindle? I looked for foreign and domestic it brought up over 2200 books.........
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...David+Kershner

I did a search by my name for that URL... should do the trick.

~ Dave
    Hannibal ad portas

Thank you, heading over now.

Bought the first three, sure wish this one was already available. ETA?

Should be ready for publication in a couple months... just in time for everyone to read while the weather still sucks outside and you have nothing else to do but read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hannibal ad portas

Awesome. Can't wait to see it.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Hello All,

I regret to report that numerous circumstances outside of my control have been placed in my path and I have not completed the book. I AM working on it though. In fact, it seems that I had more to say than I originally thought as I write the final installment of the Foreign and Domestic series. So much in fact, I am happy to report that I've actually written... wait for it...

TWO MORE BOOKS!!!

Yeah, you read that right. Apparently, months of writers block, deaths of friends and family, and various other distractions caused me to not even bother looking at my page count. I just kept writing and and like 20 pages or so had been written, I'd start a new chapter. When I did bother to take a gander at how far I was, honestly assuming that I was around the 300 page mark and thinking it was coming time to wrap things up, I discovered that I was at almost 500 pages!

The good news is that I think I need another 100-200 pages to close off all of these storylines and kill a tyrant and some other folks in spectacular fashion! That'll give me about 700 pages so I'll split that up into two 350 page books.

What was supposed to be one book somehow became a trilogy. The trilogy has spawned two additional books that chronicle 20 years of life post EMP.

Sometimes disasters are actually blessings in disguise.

Now that I have committed to the two book concept, and now that I am within spittin' distance of the finish line, I thought it important to write a Prologue. I felt it was important to include this so readers have a general sense of what took place after Part III concluded. As a side note, the final two installments, in theory, given the way I wrote the Prologue, could conceivably be read as a standalone pieces.

Anyhoo, here's the Prologue...

-----

Prologue

On Monday, January 30th, 2023, the United States of America ceased to exist. In the pre-dawn hours of that cool winter morning, three W78 nuclear warheads were jettisoned from their LGM-30 Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile launch vehicle and sent speeding through the lower reaches of space toward their targets.

At 5:28 am EST, the first of the three multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRVs) detonated three hundred and seventy-five kilometers above Pierre, South Dakota. At 5:30 am, the second detonation appeared in the early morning sky above Rochester, New York. Seconds later, the Pacific northwest was awash in green, yellow, and red bands of light as the final warhead detonated just west of the Rockies near La Grande, Oregon.

The perpetrators of this heinous act of terrorism, two jihadi brothers, lost their lives shortly thereafter.

While the bulk of America and her citizens slept, mass transit systems, long haul truckers, transcontinental railroad lines, and cars of various makes and models slowly came to a stop. If it couldn't run solely on its carburetor, plugs, and wires, it was now scrap metal.

Hydro-electric dams, nuclear reactors, as well as gas, water, and sewer pumping and treatment stations across the U.S. ground to a halt. Reliable gas, electrical, and water sources blinked out of existence. Most stand-by generators failed to initiate. Those that did start, ran until the fuel ran out. The Internet, smart phones, and advanced computer systems instantly became shiny out-of-date pieces of technology from a by-gone era harvested for their copper and lead components necessary only for reloads.

Passengers aboard pre-dawn flights plummeted to the Earth. Patient's dependent on machines to live coded and died. Anyone with an older style pacemaker simply didn't wake up. Several million people in the care of hospitals and convalescent homes never had a chance to see the dawn of a new day. Those that were hospitalized, but required round the clock monitoring, lasted as long as the staff showed up and their medications held out. Millions meet their end painfully. The Prozac Nation further plunged the country into bedlam and anarchy when they descended like a tsunami upon the hand that had fed its habit for so many years. Once the anti-depressant, anxiety, addiction, and psychotic meds were exhausted, no one was safe from their wrath as they searched for suitable replacements.

Amid all of the chaos, America managed to fend off an invasion of UN troops hell bent of looting the nation's federal reserve banks and gold depositories. When all was said and done, what remained of the Federal Government attempted to exert its control over the surviving citizenry by implementing martial law. Familial clans, fed up with government incompetence and an even greater intrusion into their lives, flowed into Washington D.C. in whatever vehicles they could find that still ran. They robbed and pillaged every gas station on their route with hand crank syphons and heavy weapons.

Members of Congress were hunted down throughout the District of Columbia. If they weren't shot or hung on sight, they were put through mock trials and then executed. Not one single member of Congress that had been caught survived.

In the beginning, after the UN troops were forced to retreat to the sea, aid flowed in from France, Spain, the Netherlands, and India. Israel, while on the outs publicly after neutralizing Iran with low kiloton tactical nuclear weapons some years earlier, sent what they could.

Vast migrating hordes, desperate to survive the winter, fled the northern cities and headed south toward Mexico, leaving a path of destruction in their wake. Those that did manage to overcome the relatively new border wall and the Rio Grande River, were slaughtered by re-enforcing Mexican troops.

Without federal representation, State Governments became the defacto form of government nationally. Governors verbally sparred over resources in the form of water rights, stockpiles of fuel, grazing lands, and assorted military assets. While very little of the military hardware and vehicles had been hardened to withstand the electrical onslaught brought on by an EMP, states were quick to claim the property as belonging to their National Guard units.

A Second Civil War ensued as Statehouses ratcheted up their saber rattling and began forcibly exerting their rights. Regional militias began springing up to do the bidding of the various Governors offices. The Second Civil War didn't really end so much as it morphed into region states fighting one another in Clan Wars. Patriots that had honorably fought to stave off the UN forces were hunted down. The last of the warring came to an end brutally in the Northwest Territory roughly ten years after the first high altitude nuclear explosion (HANE).

As agreements were being struck between the regions, a lone shadowy figure stepped in and usurped national power. A well-placed munition not only relieved the country of the sitting President, but his processor as well. Stealing elections became a way of life as a former gang banger from the Bronx assumed the Presidency.

President Alejandro Calderon quickly established Tammany Hall style politics nationally. Friends, and friends of friends, were given cushy government level jobs as they were dispersed into Regional Provosts offices nationwide. The harshest forms of law and order were implemented by revoking the bulk of the United States Constitution. A kangaroo court system was established where punishments were handed down not based on codified law, but by gross generalizations, evidence that was barely circumstantial, aplomb, and a fair amount of sadism. Neighbor turned on neighbor with giddy abandon.

Being convicted of stealing food from government distribution centers or falsifying identification cards were considered felonies and an automatic five years. A second conviction got you twenty. Possessing a firearm, operable or not, was a ten-year ride for the first offense. Robbery in general cost you fifteen-years. Murder and rape was declared as capital crimes, regardless of the circumstances. However, the federal government wanted their free labor so the sentence wasn't carried out for at least ten years before you were shown to the gallows.

Convicted criminals were sent to forced labor camps where Calderon's wardens worked them for a purpose, usually farming and industrial style labor. The most infamous among them was the North Texas Rehabilitation Center for Men, commonly referred to simply as NorTex. There, they dispensed a special brand justice where prisoners were routinely flogged, beaten, and whipped. Many prisoners took their own life. Dissenters, potential political opponents, and free-thinkers were sent to re-education camps.

With Washington in ruins, Calderon placed the new capital in what remained of Richmond, Virginia. For his personal estate, he claimed a six-hundred-acre tract of land along the James River known as Tuckahoe Plantation. Low level criminals staffed the working plantation and worked the fields and kitchens. His security detachment, which he aptly named Praetorians, patrolled the grounds constantly and were never more than a few feet away. Many spent years being trained across the country in the hopes of one day being allowed to protect the President.

For twelve years, the American people suffered under the yolk of Calderon's oppression. Finally, after twenty years of near constant fighting just to simply stay alive, many were ready to rise up and throw off their bonds of servitude and start the American experiment anew. The people were finally ready to follow, to fight back. They didn't care if it was a twenty-something amnesiac or a seventy-plus year old starting to suffer from the symptoms of Alzheimer's.

All they needed was someone willing to lead.
    Hannibal ad portas

Hooray! Go ahead and send them to my kindle, I'll critique it for you.......gratis.