Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting/Range Partner

Default Hunting/Range Partner

I have not been in NC long, but I am experienced. Looking for a hunting partner in east Tn or NC that knows the NC terrain.

Requirements are as followed:

Must have atleast a .357 Magnum on their side during the hunt

Must be open minded to hunting wild boar and black bear (dangerous game)

Must be serious about the hunt and not back out

Too many times have I thought I had a hunting partner but they never meet for range practice or take the time to discuss hunting plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    I have not been in NC long, but I am experienced. Looking for a hunting partner in east Tn or NC that knows the NC terrain.

Requirements are as followed:

Must have atleast a .357 Magnum on their side during the hunt

Must be open minded to hunting wild boar and black bear (dangerous game)

Must be serious about the hunt and not back out

Too many times have I thought I had a hunting partner but they never meet for range practice or take the time to discuss hunting plans.
    Y'all do the hog thing all wrong. Leave that pistol at home and take a knife.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I hope you are not serious. Let a hog or allow the risk for a wild boar to get close enough to you, to do serious bodily harm to you and have this as the result?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaIjvMSc14

Wild Boars are mean and no joke. They range from 200-400 pounds, sometimes bigger.

Assuming you want to take that serious risk and see the boar coming at you and have the time to draw your knife. Which is not always the case.

Most of the time, from what I heard, a boar will charge you from brush or bushes and surprise you.

Relying solely on a knife against a boar charge is like saying you should only draw your firearm against an attacker when the attacker is on you, beating your face in or slashing you.

There's a video on here somewhere of a hog in Texas being taken with nothing more than a dog n a cheap auto assist folder!

Then some folks don't really hunt. Haven't killed a bear yet, seen my first Colorado black bear last year, a bit bigger than black bears back east or down south.

Boars are the least of my worries hog hunting.

I had to kill a sow 3 years ago after she charged me from 40 or so yards away.
    I dumped 8 rounds using my Soviet SKS, hit her 4 times, before crapping my pants.
    She had several decent size piglets, and reckon she was protecting them.

I've stepped on hogs whilst hunting, never seeing them, but it's brushy where I hunt on the Red River (Okla/Tex border).
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    I hope you are not serious. Let a hog or allow the risk for a wild boar to get close enough to you, to do serious bodily harm to you and have this as the result?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaIjvMSc14

Wild Boars are mean and no joke. They range from 200-400 pounds, sometimes bigger.

Assuming you want to take that serious risk and see the boar coming at you and have the time to draw your knife. Which is not always the case.

Most of the time, from what I heard, a boar will charge you from brush or bushes and surprise you.

Relying solely on a knife against a boar charge is like saying you should only draw your firearm against an attacker when the attacker is on you, beating your face in or slashing you.
    with no sense of humor I'll bet you're a real boar sitting in a blind...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Okay, here is something that these gentlemen are not telling you. Almost all of the times you kill a boar with a knife, is after the dogs have it pinned down, or it have been lassoes. You are only delivering the murder stroke on a pinned opponent.

I'd recommend a boar spear, if a good shotgun is not available.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

i've seen kids in kauai hunting pig with pitbulls and a butcher knife, honokapiai valley, napali coast.

I killed two last year. One was trying to come through the screen of my front door. The first one was about a 4 to 500 pound sow. No piglets in sight. I took her down through the ear with a .22. Took 6 shots. The second was a young boar and maybe 250 pounds. He was coming up the steps onto the porch and I nailed him with a steal bat and cracked his skull open. He went down like a rock.

Last week as I was leaving to pick hubby up from work, I saw a pack of roughly 50 hogs down at the bottom of my driveway 1/4 mile from my house. Those asshats are taking over around here. We have massive hog hunts every year in my area to try to decrease the population. They are a real problem.

We don't have bear around here but people do spot a Cougar occassionally. I've never seen one but people say they are here.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I tried feeding out 2 wild hogs my boy caught with his hog dogs, and that was a waste of money.
    Caught them in February that year, and I butchered them the last week of May, and they only gained 30 or so lbs. each.
    Both were young gilts.

I smoked both of those whole in a big smoker a buddy of mine had.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.