Thread: got some chickens....now what

Default got some chickens....now what

I got a few chickens ordered should be ready april 3rd. one of my barns has a coupe in it. what am I getting in to? im getting the chickens grown, to make things easier and waiting till april so the cold weather is behind us. worst case scenario I got a chicken dinner.

Im a city boy mostly... But I've got to say... This made me smile.
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

I don't do chickens, but friends always bought day old chicks from Co-op . Raised them all summer and butchered in fall to freeze or can. I love the smell of wet chicken feathers
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I like raising chicks in cold weather. Course they are under lights and warm.
    Always felt early hatches made them stronger. I have some eggs saved up, about 75 or so now, and will start incubating them soon.
    I sell most of the chickens as I prefer my Khaki Campbell ducks for egg production, but enjoy raising chickens, and hate to see them go when I sell them, but that's life.
    They're even a cheap source of entertainment too!
    I like to watch them scratch the dirt, chase bugs and the roosters pop their wings and crow.
    I need to get out more...
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Just got into the same boat myself last week. Here is some tips that other have given to me recently. Hope it helps.

http://www.whenshtf.com/threads/5460...chicken-chalet
    Vox Populi!

I have been around chickens most of my life. I like just to watch them. We usually rotate them out and eat the older ones in about 2-4 years. This makes for a tough bird, so cooking them in a crockpot or pressure cooker is the best way. Now we have about 30 chickens from about 1.5 to about 0.5 years. We raise ours mainly for eggs. We sell or give away the eggs to our neighbors and family when we see them. If you are raising them for meat just there is different food you can feed them for that. At about 6 months to a year is the best time for the meat. Different chickens lay eggs for different amounts of time. Usually really good for about a 1 to 2 years then start to slow down after that. Then about the 4th year really slow down. We have had some chickens in the past lay until 6-7 years old. I'm sure they could have laid longer, but that old for a chicken and most of them died around that age we had. Good luck.

You mention age of chickens there Yeti...I have a hen that was given to me in 2004. She was 3 years old then.
    15 years old this year.
    I had one Madigen Grey rooster that lived to 13 years old back in the mid 90's, and one of my Saipan Jungle fowl lived to be 12, but she's my oldest chicken I've had.

I keep her by herself now, she lays one egg, maybe two a year, but she's a pet now, and so old, she just has her own little hut and pen. I let her out every couple of days, she likes to sit in my lap.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

well first you'll need a weasel to guard the hen house, never mind, a heat lamp, feeder, a waterer,
    a cardboard wall to keep chicks closer to the heat,grit for the chicks ,chick feed,a bale of wood chips
    the ones like sawdust almost.and raise the heat lamp as they grow. if they sleep away from the lamp it's probably too low.

https://jet.com/product/detail/07663...4w0aAnge8P8HAQ

bought this. i guess it will work. i got an old fenced in garden area about 20ft x 20ft to put it in. i guess i just throw-em some food and water. im not going overkill on 3 yard birds... named them chrispy, bucket and thigh . if the egg thing dont work out they will be named dinner.