Thread: Essential oil antibacterial testing

Default Essential oil antibacterial testing

Interesting article on one womans quest to find the best essential oil. As a physician I of course am skeptical of many of the claims of the essential oil people but skin cleaning and local disinfecting of surfaces is one thing the essential oils are probably good at.

http://essentialoiltesting.com/blog/...-blends-part-1

While a good effort it does have some weaknesses.
    1) Does not tell you how the plates were inoculated and what bacteria are used in the tests.
    2) Does not say how much of each oil he used. Results might be due to concentration or volume differences.
    3) Had no way to "contain" the oils. Results might be due to one spreading out more than another instead of it actually being stronger. In the lab we usually use disks like this (http://www.bd.com/ds/productCenter/I...eptibility.asp) specifically to control for unregulated spreading.
    4) "In vitro" (perti dish) testing does not always tell you how well it will work "in vivo" (in the body). If his best functioning oil wont work at body temperature it would be useless as a internal medication.

Still- this is more than most essential oil people do and provides at least a semblance of objective data that could be repeated for more data. Good starting point. Would love to see this repeated with a little tighter controls.
    Last edited by Militant_Medic; 02-23-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Also just noticed a little error (or what I can only assume is an error) he categorizes the plates by <0.5mm, ~0.5mm, and >0.5mm. This cant be right. 0.5mm is half a millimeter or 2 hundredths of an inch. He must have meant cm or have stuck a decimal where it did not belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post
    Also just noticed a little error (or what I can only assume is an error) he categorizes the plates by <0.5mm, ~0.5mm, and >0.5mm. This cant be right. 0.5mm is half a millimeter or 2 hundredths of an inch. He must have meant cm or have stuck a decimal where it did not belong.

And if he is sloppy there, where else is he sloppy?
    Good medicine in bad places

Reading the "about me" section of the blog reveals a little of what bacteria are used. She uses a nasal swab.

The nasal region consist of avirulent streptococci, Moraxella lacunata, Micrococcus, Corynebacterium, Staphylococcus, Acinetobacter, Bifidobacterium, Branhamella, Neisseria and Haemophilus spp. as normal flora.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I must have missed the medicinal value of essential oils somewhere...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

It's interesting, a little confused on these statements:

"I am NOT affiliated with any essential oil company",
    "To test different essential oil brands as well as test one of my own products, I purchased an incubator to perform my experiments!"
    "Essential Oil Testing was created after the author decided to purchase an incubator to put her natural hand sanitizer to the test."
    Didn't see any test results from her own products/blends however. But then inhibiting the growth of bacteria and a germocidal/antibacterial hand sanitizer are two different things I believe. A drop of 10w40 motor oil might inhibit bacterial growth too?

Does give me an idea though...

"Marked's Miracle Hand Sanitizer"

96% dollar store Alcohol-based hand sanitizer, 2% Chlorhexidine, 2% Povidone Iodine. Only $23 for a 3 oz bottle, BUT WAIT, there's more! Order today and get a second 3 oz bottle FREE (just add $9 for processing and handling).
    No offense meant to Ashley, really like the "don't trust the advertising, test it yourself" attitude. Might have to go google how much a cheap incubator and petri dishes cost just out of curiosity.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I used Frankensense on my lip when I got a pre-cancer looking thing on it. Dermatologist confirmed it disappeared. I don't know if the oil did it, but it went away.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

That's some golden advice on the use of frankensense Chip, can you provide myrrh details?

Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Well there are three main essential oil providers/manufacturers/distributors. Heritage and Young Living are two I use, and there is a third I don't remember offhand. Some oils are not recommended for internal use. Price is the easy way to catch if you can ingest the stuff. Again, I don't know if it works, but the pre-cancer went away on me. Maybe it was misdiagnosed by Dr, I don't know.
    My sister swears by the stuff. Her daughter had a Thyroid problem that Dr's said meant drugs for the rest of her life, removed or not. Sister went all organic in her diet, and the problem fixed itself. She researches stuff pretty thoroughly. Now if Sis swears by the stuff, I pay attention.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I was reading a couple of days ago about ingesting essential oils. Article that SOME can be ingested, but ONLY under the close supervision of a medical professional. Its so concentrated that even a single drop in a glass of water is potent enough to cause some severe "undoings" to the lining of your mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach, in addition to possible damge to liver and kidneys. I gave up self diagnoses a long time ago. Now days I practice the most effective self treatment known to man...insert key into ignition, start vehicle and get ass to doctor. Been my experience there is much wisdom in that action.