Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HAM Mobile setup for two locations

Moving a radio (and even a power supply) is easy. Moving a permanent antenna, not so much.

So, permanent antennas at both locations, you can make a J-pole out of copper tubing bits with not too much trouble or money https://www.google.ca/search?sourcei...7j0l5.4219j0j7

And just carry the radio and PS back and forth. Or, get two power supplies.
    Good medicine in bad places

I have not added the antenna yet, but have some 1"conduit sleeved inside 1 1/2" both 20' lengths. Once I mount an antenna, when I get there, I'll run it up to about 30-35' for height . I think that will work for me on simplex. Kinda cheap and easy. I'm loping at adding a second story to part of the house, and will get more permanent when that gets rolling.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Question on the j-pole, we have a couple folk that use them as a backup antenna, they talk Great, however they do not hear as well as say the gp-9 or tram 1481 ( I am talking about on SIMPLEX not repeaters). If any of you know anyone using j-poles, and they are able to compare them to another antenna have you found this to be kinda the norm.

An antenna tuned for a particular frequency will be equally efficient in transmitting and receiving....or equally inefficient. Jpoles work just fine in either role, in the band and frequency they are resonant at.

Thanks guys. Good info. I'm signed up for a two day class and technician exam in April. Just gotta do some studying now. Got the wife unit on board as well. Thanks for the info and links to radios/antennas.

So are these frequencies open to communication from a HAM in an emergency? I'm sure I'll learn this later but just curious:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...2667#cid-16236

Quote Originally Posted by Chew View Post
    So are these frequencies open to communication from a HAM in an emergency? I'm sure I'll learn this later but just curious:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...2667#cid-16236
    It better be an honest, no BS emergency. Ideally with no cellphone coverage either. And you can still expect a crapstorm.

Chew, you can monitor those with a scanner, but unless you are a member of one of the agencies, Don't talk on them. Your idea of an emergency ,the FCC's idea, and those agencies ideas, are not one in the same, the civilian access for emergencies is of course 911. Spent 38 years in emergency services. I got out when FEMA decided to become involved.
    Also as you will learn the more you get into radio, just because a frequency is printed in a book or on a computer, does Not mean that it is actually in use. They do change . Check with local hams etc for what is good in the area. This applies to emergency services freqs,as well as amateur radio.
    For amateur radio I have used em all and find Repeater Book to be the most accurate and it is updated frequently, that said just because a freq and location is listed, doesn't mean it gets used, again ask the locals, they can also tell you if there are any simplex freqs that are used other than 146.52, and if any nets , ARES groups etc.
    Example , in my area there are probably 15 + repeaters listed, some of those don't work at this time, some are not even in service at all, some have 0 use, there are 4 at most that get daily use. There ARE in the neighborhood of 8 simplex freqs used daily by small groups in this region.
    Talk to the locals as I said.
    Also for the emergency radio stuff if there is a vol fire dept close, you may want to volunteer( not sure of your age), you do have to go through the same basic training as a paid firefighter, but the schedule is different since you cant spend 6 months straight in an academy. And they may have things for older folks to do also.
    In amateur radio there is skywarn, ARES, RACES, and many local clubs that volunteer to assist a town or county in an emergency,you still have training ,and FEMA classes before you are allowed to play though. This applies for both the areas you mentioned
    Last edited by jnr0104; 02-23-2016 at 06:37 AM.

I have a Digi HT tuned to all the LEO around the ranch, DEA, BP, County fire and sheriff X 3, DPS. We have drugs, guns, and "Refugees" crossing the ranch every day and night. I've cleared it with county and BP, but if I ever NEED to talk to them, I will.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Ok. Good info. I was more curious about the technology and capabilities of talking on those channels with a HAM. I'm law enforcement but creeping up on my 30 year retirement goal and I'm ready to he a long haired hippie.

Been having short hair and toting a gun since I was 17 (USMC) I'm 45 now
    Last edited by Chew; 02-23-2016 at 07:31 AM.