Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment building

Default Apartment building

Hello, I was wondering if an apartment building that consists of 5 floors (My friend lives on the top one and owns the roof) would be safe for an apocalyptic scenario. I told him that if we barricade it well enough, and make good use of the roof as a vantage point, we should be fine. What do you think? EDIT: My friend's mother also specializes in electric generators. (Small, and not too noisy to attract unwanted attention.)
    Last edited by Ferdifer; 02-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Being burnt out would be my biggest worry.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Being burnt out would be my biggest worry.
    The building itself is made completely out of brick and stone, sorry I forgot to mention that.

I've never rented or lived in an apartment building, so the fire scenario is my only thought right now.

I could think of some things, but it's pretty deep, i.e. someone running a tanker truck loaded with diesel, gas, coal oil, propane into the lower floors, and igniting it.
    Using chemicals to flush out people. Ya, it's harsh, who knows what would happen, or how it would happen or even if.
    Be kinda hard to defend unless you had quite a few people scattered at points on top, people in the shadows taking shots from broken windows, etc..
    Someone that went to that length of violence to take the building would have to be personal, getting even...they may contaminate food by using the methods above, or ruin firearms/ammo with an explosion.
    Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

IMO it would have its advantages, as long as you could maintain a route of escape if need be. That being said their is a reason why cities and castles used to be built on higher elevation. Higher ground will have the advantages. because if all else fails destroy the stairs and shoot anything that moves. Of course I am talking an End of world type event. Not a event where life will return to normal at some point.

You can use the roof for growing food and collecting water if rain fall is high enough. That would not be seen from the ground floor, keeping in mind of anything else that would be at a higher elevation than you would give you away. Best bet would be to keep a low profile.

The bigger problem I see is all the other tenants trying to take what you have or not being on the same page. So just make sure your plan is realistic, and not built in fantasy. Don't get carried away with things that would never be feasible with a few people. Just some of my thoughts.
    Vox Populi!

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    IMO it would have its advantages, as long as you could maintain a route of escape if need be. That being said their is a reason why cities and castles used to be built on higher elevation. Higher ground will have the advantages. because if all else fails destroy the stairs and shoot anything that moves. Of course I am talking an End of world type event. Not a event where life will return to normal at some point.

You can use the roof for growing food and collecting water if rain fall is high enough. That would not be seen from the ground floor, keeping in mind of anything else that would be at a higher elevation than you would give you away. Best bet would be to keep a low profile.

The bigger problem I see is all the other tenants trying to take what you have or not being on the same page. So just make sure your plan is realistic, and not built in fantasy. Don't get carried away with things that would never be feasible with a few people. Just some of my thoughts.
    I was thinking the same thing. I told my friend we should get rid of the other tenants as soon as possible. I'm not sure how to, though. I wouldn't want to kill them, but if it comes down to that, we'll probably have to EDIT: I mean if they were threatening us. I was thinking for the low profile operation is to turn off as many lights in the building as possible, as to not attract attention. My friend also informed me about some fire escapes, along with some emergency stairs, so I think we're good with that. If the generators don't last us, I was thinking we should get some solar panels for energy.
    Last edited by Ferdifer; 02-21-2016 at 03:34 PM.

How old are you? Why is it even close to acceptable in your head to kill off other tenants, even in an emergency? Those apartments are their homes and they have every right to be there in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
    How old are you? Why is it even close to acceptable in your head to kill off other tenants, even in an emergency? Those apartments are their homes and they have every right to be there in an emergency.
    I said if they were a threat to us, IE. Attempting to kill us for whatever reason they may have. Of course we would try to direct them or suggest to them to another safe area, but if they mean no harm (Which I doubt they won't be), we would survive along with them and even help them out. I don't believe in survival of the fittest, but that doesn't mean I won't do anything if they try to kill us, sorry if I phrased my last post wrong.
    Last edited by Ferdifer; 02-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.

I only think this is a viable position for a very short term - like measured in hours not days or weeks.

Here are some concerns:

your quiet generator would be nice - but is it even legal for you to store gasoline or propane on the roof or in your apartment? even if legal, it is pretty dangerous. How much does the generator consume per hour of run time? then you would have to figure how much you would want to store - and rotate since gas does not keep long term.

What would be your water supply? how will you replenish it?
    What about sanitation?
    How will you cook? keep warm? stay out of the rain?
    How much food can you store - in your apartment and / on the roof.

are there buildings higher than yours close by? you might be an easy target.
    if forced to leave the roof how many ways out are there?
    would you be an easy ambush victim going via any escape route? as in someone just waiting at the bottom of the inside stairs or bottom of fire escape where you can't see them.

Sorry, we get keyboard commandos every once in a while with the "kill them all, take their stuff" mentality and your post fit the mold. Glad I was mistaken about your intention.

How big is the roof? What area do you live in? How much could you realistically grow up there? Any green areas on/near the property that could be turned to farming if things go sideways? Most likely, you'll want to put away extra seed and get the tenants to help you with both farming and security. Utilize the floor in front of south-facing windows to add plants.

Having a working garden on the roof and generators will help you through short term stuff, but that's a <1 month solution. Talking about knocking out stairs or barricading it sounds more long term and you'll have to think about high-yield farming and renewable options. Before focusing on the end of civilization, how's your short term prep looking? Have 20 gallons of water per person, food stores for 2 weeks, medical supplies, basic hand tools, and fuel for heat/cooking? Build those up (first a week, then two, then 3+ months...) while working on getting the garden operational.

In the end, if things go that far no where will be safe. But for the most part an apartment will be more defensible than a single story building.