Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment building

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    I only think this is a viable position for a very short term - like measured in hours not days or weeks.

Here are some concerns:

your quiet generator would be nice - but is it even legal for you to store gasoline or propane on the roof or in your apartment? even if legal, it is pretty dangerous. How much does the generator consume per hour of run time? then you would have to figure how much you would want to store - and rotate since gas does not keep long term.

What would be your water supply? how will you replenish it?
    What about sanitation?
    How will you cook? keep warm? stay out of the rain?
    How much food can you store - in your apartment and / on the roof.

are there buildings higher than yours close by? you might be an easy target.
    if forced to leave the roof how many ways out are there?
    would you be an easy ambush victim going via any escape route? as in someone just waiting at the bottom of the inside stairs or bottom of fire escape where you can't see them.
    I don't know that much about the capabilities of the generator(s), all my friend specified was that his mother works with them, and could bring one if needed. The buildings around the apartment building are mostly the same size, so we might blend in a little bit. I've been stockpiling water bottles for about 2 years now, so we should be pretty well off for about 3 months. We could probably raid stores or other inhabited houses for more. We can keep the place pretty clean. The apartment is spacious, so we can keep a lot of supplies there. I wouldn't want us to get too comfy though, as there are plenty more residents living in other houses nearby us, and could pose a threat. My friend (the leader) has family up in michigan and geneva, so that's an alternative shelter. We could probably farm some vegetables, as I've been stockpiling seeds as well. Warmth will be pretty easy, we could either use a portable heater, or blankets. If we are trapped onto the roof, we can build a bridge to the next one, as the distance between the next is a pretty good 8 or 7 feet away. There is also an alley behind the building, so we could probably land there if we had to and make a quick escape to another possible shelter. I think the building is monitored by security cameras (I'll have to check on that), so I can probably keep an eye of things from there. Another possible concern is there is a train station not to far down the street, so maybe there will be some trouble there. What do you think?
    Last edited by Ferdifer; 02-21-2016 at 04:56 PM.

My friend (the leader) has family up in michigan and geneva, so that's an alternative shelter.
    That is your best bet.

Just think about what it will take you to stand watch 24X7, you can't keep that up for very long with just two people. A group is the way to go, especially a group with land.
    When you say
    My friend (the leader)
    that implies a group or is it just the two of you. Is his family preparing? How far away is that for you guys? Do you have a vehicle to get there with?

If we are trapped onto the roof, we can build a bridge to the next one, as the distance between the next is a pretty good 8 or 7 feet away.
    That's good and bad - bridges work in both directions, but it does give you another way out. Get yourself a section of heavy duty aluminum ladder and keep it on the roof and you can have a quick bridge. But heavy duty since ladders are meant to support the weight standing up, not as a bridge. Even better is a painter's scaffold which is meant for horizontal strength, but those would be hard to find and much more expensive. Crawling across an 8 ft span 5 stories up is nothing to sneeze at.

But you are thinking and that is the key.
    Keep asking questions, this group will help sort out your options as well as point out any flaws.

Our group consists of about 4-5 people (I'm not sure one will be going with us, should this happen.) 1. Our leader 2. Tech guy (Me) 3. Gunman/muscle 4. Scout person 5. Another scout person. The second scouter may not want to go with us, so in case, we have two others that are willing to join us. The leader's family in Geneva owns a small farm, so I think that might be a good addition. The one in Michigan has a house we can stay at. And there is one more in Vermont where we can also go. I'm a little skeptical about the two other people we have on hand, as it will be pretty risky and unprepared to get them at the last second (I'm trying to get the cream, as they say out of our group.)

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Ooh.. Boy...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdifer View Post
    Our group consists of about 4-5 people (I'm not sure one will be going with us, should this happen.) 1. Our leader 2. Tech guy (Me) 3. Gunman/muscle 4. Scout person 5. Another scout person. The second scouter may not want to go with us, so in case, we have two others that are willing to join us. The leader's family in Geneva owns a small farm, so I think that might be a good addition. The one in Michigan has a house we can stay at. And there is one more in Vermont where we can also go. I'm a little skeptical about the two other people we have on hand, as it will be pretty risky and unprepared to get them at the last second (I'm trying to get the cream, as they say out of our group.)
    What per say are you planning for?
    Vox Populi!

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    What per say are you planning for?
    Well, with the current events, I'm preparing for a radioactive dirty bomb (Made by ISIS), or WWIII. A terroristic war, per say. Maybe I'll make a separate topic for my predictions..

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

You do realize a dirty bomb effects a very small area (think square blocks)and WWIII the entire world... You've got it covered...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Hey Ferdifer, watch........ The stand, 28 days, The postman, Deep impact and all the prepper TV shows. More material for posts.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    You do realize a dirty bomb effects a very small area (think square blocks)and WWIII the entire world... You've got it covered...
    I meant to say if it happened within my vicinity and an attack ensued. And WWIII, I meant to say as another scenario to follow after the bomb in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Ooh.. Boy...
    Lmao.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!