Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPR And First Aid Certification Course

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Very accurate... My only in the field experience was an ofer... I have had 2 Heimlich interventions that were successful... Oddly enough a week apart... Both were in a hospital setting (1 in cafeteria and 1 in a patient room)and people, chew your food... A blueberry muffin and roast beef were the culprits.... It's a high % of cardiac arrests that make it to the ER that CPR should never be initiated and against their advanced directives...
    When I was a paramedic, I NEVER had a successful CPR patient....because of travel distances, etc. Those I treat in the ED are not doing much better...They survive, in the hospital, for a week or a month, and then at best are cardiac cripples.... In the big cities, with ALS ambulances and cath labs, the success is better, but still, most people die from their first heart attack.

Public health is about assigning resources: The money that is spent on FIXING heart attacks might better be spent on the unwelcome and distasteful concept of exercise to PREVENT heart attacks.
    Good medicine in bad places

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Agreed... I am hoping that once people see what is involved there will be a realization that the is more involved than breaths/compressions...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Drowning or electrocution being maybe the only cases where CPR alone might result in a complete recovery?

Buddy of mine in the Navy performed CPR/rescue breathing on an infant (his neighbors child) that had drowned in the bathtub, the little girl lived and didn't suffer any lasting effects (that I ever heard about anyway).
    Heart stopping due to electrocution is probably not the best time to apply MORE electricity across the heart muscle....
    Good medicine in bad places

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Heart stopping due to electrocution is probably not the best time to apply MORE electricity across the heart muscle....
    Wasn't suggesting an AED (or making them do the "60 hertz shuffle" using the suicide cord in my cardiac crash cart ), but just chest compressions.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Rescue breathing...

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Rescue breathing...
    Well that'll be a time saver, no need to check for a pulse then.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Well that'll be a time saver, no need to check for a pulse then.
    I'd check for a pulse...

I've been working in EMS for a decade. Numerous cardiac arrests, probably a dozen or so that made it alive to the ED, dozens more that stayed in Asystole or persistent VF and were pronounced shortly after hospital arrival.

Only TWO survived to hospital discharge. And out of those two? Only one had meaningfully intact neurological outcome. I've sadly never had a pediatric arrest survive. Survival is improving as we focus on high quality CPR, early and aggressive ACLS care, and augmenting CPR with other technologies such as ECMO. But its still low, as Doc Fidel said, around 20%.

Its true though - live healthy, lose weight, be active. Prevention is the best medicine.
    We've become sheep, and I don't trust the Shepherds.