Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrambled Regs, and hold the ham

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Cool Scrambled Regs, and hold the ham

Ordered a couple of these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EN37-Voice-S...-/111774076844

Doesn't say they work with my Yaesu FT-2900s, but I have the same empty jack that they fit in, and according to the schematic for the radio that jack has "mic in / mic out" and some clock signals going to it so it seems likely. Hard to find any details on the scrambler board itself, or many reviews. One comment I read indicated that once the guy installed it in his (listed/supported) radio a new menu option showed up to control it (0=no scramble, 1-3=scramble settings). Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks since it's shipping from China. Next hurdle even if it does work is whether it's compatible with any of the scrambler settings on my Puxings.

If they don't work, and you have a FT270, FT1907, or VX170 and are interested, watch the 'for sale' section for a BOGO offer from me in a month or so Just couldn't resist trying them out for $40 and free shipping.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Interesting stuff, here. Keep us in the loop on this one.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Well, I would guess the Chinese would be able to decode it, when they land on our shores. LOL

At that price, it's probably voice inversion.

Since it seems to be made for a 5 watt HT, the 75 watts of the FT 2900r may kill it.
    Just remember that even though they cant understand what you are saying, they can still locate you easily. I know that if I heard a clear strong scrambled signal , I would be on alert much more than if I just heard a couple of folks just talking on a frequency in the clear.
    I'm not gonna touch the legal aspects, I'm pretty sure we all know those.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Interesting stuff, here. Keep us in the loop on this one.
    There's a lot of evidence that the hardware was built to support it this board, the empty jack on the board is designated "J2004", the same designation as on the radios the board says it's supported with. Think the big question is if the FT-2900 firmware has support for it, might not be able to enable or disable in the firmware once installed, assuming it'll get past the power on self-tests with it installed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    At that price, it's probably voice inversion.
    Yup, and not intending to leave it enabled for normal use now, its too easy to defeat for anyone nearby that was semi-knowledgable and had an interest. I live in BOL country, and have no doubt there's both full time resident preppers and likely even more part-time BOL owners nearby. That some might not be entirely friendly when the SHTF has crossed my mind. Anyone that heard us using it now might take in interest in what we were saying (I would) and go to the time/trouble to descramble it, so I don't plan to tip them off beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
    Since it seems to be made for a 5 watt HT, the 75 watts of the FT 2900r may kill it.
    Just remember that even though they cant understand what you are saying, they can still locate you easily. I know that if I heard a clear strong scrambled signal , I would be on alert much more than if I just heard a couple of folks just talking on a frequency in the clear.
    I'm not gonna touch the legal aspects, I'm pretty sure we all know those.
    Was already replying when I saw your post, HW support in the radio seems to be there - everything else is a big question mark. DF'ing us would be too simple since we're so remote, if anyone had a general compass direction on us they'd find us real easy since there are so few homes. The poplulation density here is about 3 people per square mile. One of the drawbacks in being real rural/remote, small communities where everybody knows everybody, and our place stands out like a sore thumb on google earth so hiding or hoping to go unnoticed isn't really an option. I'm going with the 'present a hard target' approach for this reason, anyone doing a thorough recon of our property is going to find motion detectors, security cameras, and IR illuminators.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    ...Yup, and not intending to leave it enabled for normal use now, its too easy to defeat for anyone nearby that was semi-knowledgable and had an interest. I live in BOL country, and have no doubt there's both full time resident preppers and likely even more part-time BOL owners nearby. That some might not be entirely friendly when the SHTF has crossed my mind. Anyone that heard us using it now might take in interest in what we were saying (I would) and go to the time/trouble to descramble it, so I don't plan to tip them off beforehand.
    I have some of those Chinese blister pack radios, with programmable VI scrambling, and like you, they will not be used or talked about, until the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    ...The poplulation density here is about 3 people per square mile. One of the drawbacks in being real rural/remote, small communities where everybody knows everybody, and our place stands out like a sore thumb on google earth so hiding or hoping to go unnoticed isn't really an option. I'm going with the 'present a hard target' approach for this reason, anyone doing a thorough recon of our property is going to find motion detectors, security cameras, and IR illuminators.
    Same here with GE. Clearing out the future BOL, one year, GE caught my excavator, next year the backhoe and the ever widening clearing. It's in the woods, so no blurring possible. Have to see if I can get a giant camo tarp and build the house under that, LOL

Seriously tho, I and faced with the same problem it seems you have conquered, that is motion sensors, cams and detectors protecting a large area of land around the BOL. I will be off grid, like I assume you are, from your description, and with little extra power. The neighbors now, just drive their 4 wheeler or snowmobiles around an obstruction placed to keep them out, I figure if I put sensors out, they will discover and do the same going around. I have about three miles of perimeter, too much for a meaningful fence. Not really sure where to go with this, any ideas ?

Seriously tho, I and faced with the same problem it seems you have conquered, that is motion sensors, cams and detectors protecting a large area of land around the BOL. I will be off grid, like I assume you are, from your description, and with little extra power.
    Conquered? I wish. Off grid here too. I have rougthly a mile of perimeter and not near enough Dakota Alerts to cover it. Three Q-See security cams, wired so limited distance, and only two deployed right now watching the likely approaches, and in plain sight as a burglar deterrent.

The neighbors now, just drive their 4 wheeler or snowmobiles around an obstruction placed to keep them out, I figure if I put sensors out, they will discover and do the same going around. I have about three miles of perimeter, too much for a meaningful fence. Not really sure where to go with this, any ideas ?
    Or steal or destroy whatever you put up if you're not there to stop 'em. Hidden game camera now maybe? If you caught them on camera now, print out a pic and send it to them with a polite letter, certified mail, explaining you don't want to involve the law but will if they persist. Tough call, don't want to tick them off either which can cause problems later. Snow fence maybe? Least if they cut through it you know the kind of people you're dealing with. I've had neighbor issues in the past, I'd say start real small and stay friendly as long as you can. If you can't reason with them now, just have a plan to deal with them when the show starts.

Two EN37 Voice Scrambler boards arrived yesterday, pretty quickly considering it was free shipping from China. They came wrapped in bubble wrap, and in a bubble wrap envelope. Packaging and the boards both in good shape, no prob with the shipper or their service - 5 stars.

Installation couldn't be simpler, remove the 3 hex screws holding the radio faceplate on, and on the back side of the faceplate install the EN37 in J2004. Not even worthy of a pic it's so simple, first radio took 3 minutes and the second one took 2.

Turn radio on and enter menu mode, the FT-2900 had 59 different menus. But looky now:

Entering the SCRMBL menu there's 5 options, "off" and "0-3". When the same settings are set on both radios it's easy to understand the other party talking, no distortion. If on different scramble settings (or none/off) it sounds just like you'd expect for voice inversion. So at this point I am very pleased.

Bad news, for me, is that none of the 4 voice inversion settings on the FT-2900 is compatible with any of the 8 inversion settings on my Puxing UV-973 HT. Dammit. Will try some more testing to confirm, but 99% sure it won't make a difference.

Maybe they publish the frequencies they invert about, and you can find (some) in common ?

Tried all 32 (4 settings on the FT-2900, with each of the 8 on the UV-973), all garbled. Going to try entering alignment/service mode on the FT-2900 and see if there's any options to adjust the scramble freq offset. Not expecting to find anything but who knows. Might be worth writing tech support at both Yaesu and Puxing to see if either has any suggestions but thinking the odds are somewhere between slim and nil. I'm using Puxing HTs in two of the vehicles as mobiles, guess I have a reason to swap them out with FT-2900's and get a couple more EN37's - but it's not high on my list right now.