Thread: HF Comm recommendations

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Default HF Comm recommendations

I'm looking at getting a HF base station, I can run in the wild (on 13V), that will cover all/most of the HF bands. There was a thread on that here, with a radio with water resistant knobs, but I spent most of the day doing searches, with no result, lol. Any suggestions of something that isn't discontinued, is mainstream (Yaesu, Icom, etc) would be appreciated.... 100W and around $1K would be acceptable, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    I'm looking at getting a HF base station, I can run in the wild (on 13V), that will cover all/most of the HF bands. There was a thread on that here, with a radio with water resistant knobs, but I spent most of the day doing searches, with no result, lol. Any suggestions of something that isn't discontinued, is mainstream (Yaesu, Icom, etc) would be appreciated.... 100W and around $1K would be acceptable, thanks.
    Was it the IC-7200? it's 100 watts and has a water resistant front panel, buttons and knobs and comes in at just under $800 http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lin...m-IC-7200.html

They also have a Camo version, but it's $200 more http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lin...d-IC-7200.html
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Just HF? The Icom 718, and you can buy a nice tuner, antenna and cable with the change from your grand.

If you want both HF and v/uhf, the Yaesu FT-857D is nice, as is the Icom-7200.
    Good medicine in bad places

Bingo, a thousand thanks, that was the one I am interested in researching.

Thank you Fidel, I will look at both. Currently, I have several VHF/UHF mobiles, perhaps a base will all would be better, more to consider.

I didn't think the IC-718 or the FT-857D were water resistant like the IC-7200 is, But I could be wrong.

If you don't care for water resistance, I'd heavily look at the Ft-857D, it's a sweet HF, VHF, UHF radio
    Last edited by Tdale; 01-10-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I have an IC-7200,it was the first HF base I owned, using a TS 480hx right now, but will be putting the 7200 at our bay house It is a really good radio, well built and the dual pass band knobs on the front panel are really handy to have , I miss them on my 480hx kenwood. I would recommend the IC-7200. Of course the ft-875 also has 2m and 70 cm , it too is a real good radio I have one for mobile use. The only thing I am not fond of on the 857 is all the menus, make sure you don't lose the book, it makes it easier to find your way around.
    Last edited by jnr0104; 01-20-2016 at 05:46 AM.