Thread: build your own crash cart

Quote Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
    other items as well
    bleach
    90%isopropal alchihol
    peroxide
    nitrile gloves,blk6mil from farm store
    2,8qt s/s pressure cookers to use as autoclaves
    white sheets to use as improvised dressings.
    coloidial silver
    Bleach loses it's effectiveness quite rapidly - better to store pool shock chlorine or use a filter
    There is very little use for isopropyl alcohol, and none as a disinfectant. Same with hydrogen peroxide, which loses potency incredibly fast after the container is opened.
    And don't even get me started on the bull**** that is colloidial silver.
    Good medicine in bad places

Clorox bleach now comes in crystal form. Not sure if it's pure or if there are any other ingredients in there that would make it not suitable for water purification, consumption.

Joe - NY

Once again, SALT. It's an excellent cleansing source and has an indefinate life span.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

A rolling cart is for mobile transport. When you're on the run, you can't carry a hospital sized inventory of med supplies. You carry only the absolute essentials, thus the light weight rolling cart. Since my situation in bug in, not out, my rolling cart is for away from home and it holds A LOT of immediate essentials. It travels with us everywhere we go away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    All good ideas.

Except for one thing.

If your medical supplies can fit into a roll-around anything, or a Hardigg case (of any size), you simply DONT HAVE ENOUGH.

I'm not even talking about 'sexy' stuff like IV solutions and suture materials. In a SHTF situation, the amount of plain old gauze you will NEED to effectively treat almost anything is staggering. Think cubic meters, not cubic inches...stock up now, put paper boxed and wrapped items in plastic bags, and put them on the shelf.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Slojo View Post
    Clorox bleach now comes in crystal form. Not sure if it's pure or if there are any other ingredients in there that would make it not suitable for water purification, consumption.

Joe - NY
    Just got back from the store with a container of "Control Bleach Crystals" from Clorox, regular scent. The label says: Contains: sodium dichloroisocyanurate. FWIW.

Joe - NY

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    A rolling cart is for mobile transport. When you're on the run, you can't carry a hospital sized inventory of med supplies. You carry only the absolute essentials, thus the light weight rolling cart. Since my situation in bug in, not out, my rolling cart is for away from home and it holds A LOT of immediate essentials. It travels with us everywhere we go away from home.
    That's kinda my thinking, but more for use just a hasty bugout so we have a little of everything we might need. Thanks for the earlier cart link suggestion too, something like that is better than a bag imo - or all the stuff you really might want in a hurry ends up at the bottom because it's all band-aids and boo-boo creams at the top from getting the most use.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

You're welcome. Also, one of my compartment is reserved for pet meds. That has come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    All good ideas.

Except for one thing.

If your medical supplies can fit into a roll-around anything, or a Hardigg case (of any size), you simply DONT HAVE ENOUGH.

I'm not even talking about 'sexy' stuff like IV solutions and suture materials. In a SHTF situation, the amount of plain old gauze you will NEED to effectively treat almost anything is staggering. Think cubic meters, not cubic inches...stock up now, put paper boxed and wrapped items in plastic bags, and put them on the shelf.
    Fidel, I wanted to get back to this. So, obviously sterilized gauze, various sizes and lengths, but is there a particular source, or is Amazon as reasonable as any other retailer for items like this?

And as far as long term storage for gauze, if it comes wrapped in plastic, then in a box, is that acceptable, or should I plan on using a vacpac?

Thanks in advance.

Joe - NY

Buy it wherever you can find it inexpensively... At least for the name brands (J&J, Kendal, etc)...the off brands in gauze tend to be pretty thin. One source that sometimes is available is when a drug store or dollar store is going out of business and has a big sale - the first aid items tend to go last.

I buy my stuff from professional suppliers - MooreMedical.com more than anyone else, but I do buy from Amazon, Chinook Medical, and others.

And gauze doesn't go bad. It may not have the manufacturers guarantee of sterility but that doesn't worry me. I buy it, put it in ziplocks, and put the ziplocks into plastic storage bins. It may be old, but it will stay clean in them and thats the main thing.

Tape, bandaids, etc tend to go bad after time. I haven't found a great way of storing them, just cool and dry, and test them. When a few are screwed up, I toss and replace them.
    Same with alcohol and betadine wipes, elastic bandages, etc.
    Good medicine in bad places

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

I found a local source of 4" gauze, non-sterile but sealed, for 30 cents a roll. Figure just to hold a sterile dressing on it might not be too bad an option. The gauze is pretty thin too.

Been working on my cardiac crash cart too, not 100% happy with it yet but getting closer I think

Last edited by marked; 01-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.