Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selling our house and buying a new house

Quote Originally Posted by Som3 dude View Post
    I though our windows in Austin were impact on the ground floor. They were within 24" of the ground so they had to be able to take a hit from rocks from a mower. it has been a couple years so I don't exactly remember. In Florida all new construction requires impact windows. I'm upgrading them one at a time since they are expensive. But I'm not worried about someone breaking in through them
    I have impact windows from older code 180 mph wind load. I have installed the newer 200 Mph. Only way for you to get in is and axe around the frame edge. We gave some old impacts to the local fire department after a fire. They couldn't figure out how to get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Som3 dude View Post
    I though our windows in Austin were impact on the ground floor. They were within 24" of the ground so they had to be able to take a hit from rocks from a mower. it has been a couple years so I don't exactly remember. In Florida all new construction requires impact windows. I'm upgrading them one at a time since they are expensive. But I'm not worried about someone breaking in through them
    Nope. Under 18" from the floor, within 3' of a doorway, bottom sash of 9sf or more of glass, and Windows adjacent to stairs or a deck requires the bottom pane to be tempered. If you notice the big soaring windows in the custom homes, the lower pane is tiny in most cases, almost always under 9sf total surface area so it doesn't require tempered. (Builders are cheap). Some of your newer, more expensive replacement windows are pretty tough when it come to impact. When I sold Windows we beat on them pretty good, but I wouldn't call them "impact glass" like floridians put in their homes. Here in tornado alley, it SHOULD be code if for nothing other than security purposes, but isn't.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power