Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling our house and buying a new house

Default Fixing up new to you house

We live in a 1 and 1/2 story house and I have a stack of pre cut plywood to go over the lower floor windows. If you want to be not so obvious the wood could be cut to fit on the inside. I also have a means of attaching the wood to the window frames that is dedicated to that task.(no looking for the screws or hammer)

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Congrats!

Up here in the semi-frozen North I'd say an emergency heat source on the lower level, but maybe not so much a concern there. Maybe try to lay claim on a room or area to store the bug in prep gear? "I could build shelves in that corner Honey, everything would be in one place and out of the way"? Under the stairs is always a good storage spot too.
    Yeah, we MIGHT have one whole week where temps are below zero per year. Being that it is a 2 story house, we could open Windows on the 2nd floor at night and not have to worry about pair having easy access, and since this house is the only 2 story on the street we should have decent breezes come through no matter the direction of the wind. Under the stairs is a bathroom, but there is about 6 foot that is not used. I have already talked to my wife about using a large portion of my closet for prep and firearm storage.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
    We live in a 1 and 1/2 story house and I have a stack of pre cut plywood to go over the lower floor windows. If you want to be not so obvious the wood could be cut to fit on the inside. I also have a means of attaching the wood to the window frames that is dedicated to that task.(no looking for the screws or hammer)
    What's the means of attaching them? Just cordless drills and screws here.

I precut OSB to fit some of the smaller windows and use it currently as flooring in the attic for additional storage space there, pull down stairs makes it easy to get stuff in/out. The shelving units I built are all 2x4's and OSB, with luan and accordian doors to hide their ugliness. Easily unscrewed to re-use the wood for emergency repairs. Figure if the SHTF we'll be unloading a lot of the gear off the shelves anyway, might as well have the shelves themselves serve a purpose when they aren't needed anymore.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

That's cool, we bought our house the day it went on the market. You still gonna be in the Dallas area?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    That's cool, we bought our house the day it went on the market. You still gonna be in the Dallas area?
    No. Truth be told I moved away from the metromess a couple of years ago but never updated my status here. I'm still in Texas though, just far enough away to not have to deal with the masses of sheep. I still have to deal with the sheep where I love now, just not nearly as many. Plus, my 11 mile commute is so much nicer than my old 51 mile commute!

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    What's the means of attaching them? Just cordless drills and screws here.

I precut OSB to fit some of the smaller windows and use it currently as flooring in the attic for additional storage space there, pull down stairs makes it easy to get stuff in/out. The shelving units I built are all 2x4's and OSB, with luan and accordian doors to hide their ugliness. Easily unscrewed to re-use the wood for emergency repairs. Figure if the SHTF we'll be unloading a lot of the gear off the shelves anyway, might as well have the shelves themselves serve a purpose when they aren't needed anymore.
    Having a system and components to be able to board up windows and doors with the ability to remove them if $hit does not hit the fan, without serious damage to your house, is a bit more difficult than it appears. 2x4 cross bracing, lag bolts, and 3/4" plywood on both interior and exterior are a bit overkill......or not.

Joe - NY

Setting something up to cover the first floor windows would be pretty easy to do. We only have 5 windows and 2 doors to take care of.

I'd check if the lower windows are impact windows. New construction requires it for windows close to the ground. I'm installing impacts in my house as we speak. If the impact windows in Texas are anything close to the one in Florida, you shouldn't need to worry about boarding them up. They are suppose to stop a 2x4 in flight during a hurricane. It would take someone a while to get though it with an ax.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQmo5xYRUkk

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Quote Originally Posted by Som3 dude View Post
    I'd check if the lower windows are impact windows. New construction requires it for windows close to the ground. I'm installing impacts in my house as we speak. If the impact windows in Texas are anything close to the one in Florida, you shouldn't need to worry about boarding them up. They are suppose to stop a 2x4 in flight during a hurricane. It would take someone a while to get though it with an ax.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQmo5xYRUkk
    Building code here requires tempered glass if the glass is near the floor, much stronger than regular but nothing like the impact ones from the vid. Not saying I wouldn't want some of those, cause I surely would, but note in the vid that the frames are metal and the test 'box' is bouncing off the rear wall with every strike. I didn't watch the whole vid so maybe it was mentioned, but the window glass itself is only half of the equation. If the glass gets knocked out of the frame as a single piece it's not of much use against intrusion, even though it might still be effective for wind driven debris or explosions.

On the plywood/2x4s, our windows are all recessed which makes it easy to drop a pre-fit sheet into the window well from the inside and secure it with screws it into the framing members (not just the mostly decorative window frame that holds the glass). In hindsight I wished we'd have installed glass block in some of the lower levels windows when we built.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

I though our windows in Austin were impact on the ground floor. They were within 24" of the ground so they had to be able to take a hit from rocks from a mower. it has been a couple years so I don't exactly remember. In Florida all new construction requires impact windows. I'm upgrading them one at a time since they are expensive. But I'm not worried about someone breaking in through them