Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hello i;m OFF THE REZ

Default hello i;m OFF THE REZ

well here we go a little about me
    i've been a camper most of my life am a avid scrounger.
    education self taught for the most part
    spent 5 yrs on the streets those were my urban survival days
    spent a yr on a boat/and wigwam i built in a salt marsh when i could'nt
    mave it to the boat after work.
    been a prepper since the early 80's
    i make native american weapons/crafts as a hobby
    have raised all manner of livestock
    butcherd hogs made sausage/smoked hams/bacons
    i'm a organic gardener
    have raised bees/harvested honey
    love reading/cooking etnic cooking
    practice herbal medicine
    spent 10yrs in the CIA just kidding wanted to see if you were paying attention or not
    i used to be funny at one time
    keep a camp out back to get away some times and relax
    have made soap/candles/do still can food
    love powwows/rendevouexs/flint knapins
    and raise grapes and friut
    used to make cheese not much these days though.
    oh yeah i live on the western prairie
    well there ya go

Nice bio! Thanks Res!
    So, you're probably in your mid 40's? Sounds like you've been around the block a few times.
    I figured you to be younger but i'm not that consistant with guessing age based on post content and spelling abilities.
    Are you living off the grid completely?

A large portions of the members here are vets and have mountains of off the grid military experience. Some of us are long seasoned homesteaders living partially off the grid but still have some essence of an umbilical attachment to it.

Everyone, even those with your vast experience and self preservation can learn a lot from the more seasoned of us as well as i'm sure we can learn from yours. There are several proffessional careers on this forum. I think you'll enjoy it.

Welcome aboard:
    Camouflaged; aka, Camo
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

thank you cammie-flauge yeah that's the ticket
    mid 50's sorry for poor grammar
    yes i do hope to learn much from the more seasoned members
    after all that is why were here no?
    partially off the grid
    and heat/cook with wood in cold months.

I split my cooking from wood to electric stove, depending of what i'm cooking/baking. I use electric mostly in the summer and wood in the winter. We don't have central air or heat so my electric bill is pretty low so using the electric range is pretty cheap and I don't burn up my natural resouces. Two protable a/c units keep the house pretty cool in the summer, moving from room to room.
    The electric range doesn't get used in the summer. I'm in hot as hell, Texas. Our timber serves as heat and cooking fuel. We do a lot of mosquite and pecan wood grilling outdoors too.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

cammie look into buiding a solar oven in texas it would work well not to mention the fact that
    you'll be using a free heat source. and post shtf with no more elec it would be real nice to cook outside
    and keep the house cool. just saying

Been debating trying to make a trappers shack or a sapling wigwam. Any advice?
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

I want to try a solar oven, and I'm looking for a few wood stoves that won't break the bank. Figure I can stockpile some flue pipe with a few nineties and be good to go if/when needed.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

archaic, what are you needs in this shelter should determine what you will finally build.
    1.a spling shelter is temporary.
    a hunters shack on the otherhand can be costly though done right you could enjoy
    for many years. it all depends on how much time and money your willing to spend
    and also how you plan to use it.

kingchip you live so far south you dont need stove you need air conditoner. lol

I have enough small trees/large saplings to make a decent sized wigwam if I wanted to. I think I can scavenge enough tin to cover it if I like it, but I was planning on thatching it with hay for the first go. I shold have enough to do that, and make a 10'x10'+ sized structure to work out of.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.