Thread: postshtf medical treatment thinking outside the box

Default postshtf medical treatment thinking outside the box

in the days some time after post shtf many of our medical items will become compromised
    due to past shelflife. seals or packaging opening causing contamination of one sort or another
    rendering them useless and theres using materials with no replacement.that is where we start
    to think outside the box. on how to improvise medical eqipment. making your own asherman/halo chest seals
    with ziploc bags and duct/sports tape. bandages from cotton sheets remember this is time where a s/s 8qt
    pressure cooker comes in handy to act as a autoclave/sterilizer and should only be used for that.salves ointments and jels will also have tobe made. grow some opium poppies for your major pain reliever.remember post shtf all govt rules can go to hell at this point.surgical gloves go long on and large pressure bandages
    can be made from adualt daipers vaccumed sead ofcourse.study all this now check your supplies now exp dates and so on do your resupply now.anything overly compromised discard and replace.

Would love to hear your improvised treatment for said chest wound other than applying improvised dressing.......

Joe - NY

Just remember, the first aid treatment for things like sucking chest wounds is not the definitive treatment for those wounds....

And post SHTF, the biggest bang for your buck in keeping people alive will be from soap, and bleach, and septic systems.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Just remember, the first aid treatment for things like sucking chest wounds is not the definitive treatment for those wounds.....
    You mean that just applying the dressing doesn't solve the problem??!! LOL.

And post SHTF, the biggest bang for your buck in keeping people alive will be from soap, and bleach, and septic systems.
    aka 'hygiene'? LOL.....what's your PS...."Good medicine in bad places"?.......been touting this for ages, ever since visiting mainland china three times over a decade ago. It just sound better coming from you (M.D.)

Joe - NY

Only so much you can do without medical training.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

slojo honestly just because i used to butcher hogs on the place here
    dont qualify me to be a surgeon now does it. as for how i would handle it i would'nt
    in a post shtf situation a trauma as that would requier a top level trauma center or at least that's my thoughts
    on the matter. i cando some suturing and treat various boo boo's and use a pressure bandage.
    Last edited by off the rez; 12-28-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: forgot something

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    Only so much you can do without medical training.
    And continued quality follow up medical care...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Just remember, the first aid treatment for things like sucking chest wounds is not the definitive treatment for those wounds....

I feel like you and I would get along great if we ever met.

You nailed it. As sexy as it is to prepare for crazy traumas (GSWs, knife wounds, etc) the big killer will be infectious disease. Stock up on hygiene items folks!
    We've become sheep, and I don't trust the Shepherds.