Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: some thing to store now for post shtf

ya got me there i don't know i let that one slip by. and there are many types of salt as you mentioned
    like curing salt not tobe confused with canning salt and the himilayan pink seasalt at walmart 5bucks
    a jar. thanks trooper dan for pointing that out

I live just 20 miles from an old salt mine that the Indians used in long past times. I have been there a few times and salt can still be mined or simply chunks can be picked up off the ground.

In my AO, the only way that we had stone for blades was through trade. I suspect some of the old trade routes are going to open up again before too long.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

OK, someone tell me if I'm thinking wrong. I'm planning on ordering a pallet of salt supplement for livestock. I figured that it may not do all, but work primarily for seasoning and curing. Easy to store like that, in the barn. Rats won't get into it.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I'm not sure cow salt licks are for human consumption. Might want to check in to that just to be safe. Seems I remember someone (a cattle rancher) told me that a long while back but honestly, I don't know how reliable that info would be.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Yea, probably should check. Been eating it all my life, kinda like range cubes, Bicarb on drilling rigs for indigestion, and welders oxygen as hangover cure.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I found this. https://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum...?topic=26238.0
    Take it for whats it's worth.

OTOH, You can buy boxed salt for human concumption at HEB for .29 a pound.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I found this. https://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum...?topic=26238.0
    Take it for whats it's worth.

OTOH, You can buy boxed salt for human concumption at HEB for .29 a pound.
    Yea, I'm just looking at more of a bulk buy. A few pallets. Thought about water softener salt also. The only working salt mine I'm aware of is in Salina, Ks. Gotta be one closer. Then again, I'm trying to finagle a tractor trailer load of coal from a strip mine near Laredo and my ranch. Nobody wants to sell to an individual so far.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I don't know if that's real or not, but I won't discount it. Too many do believe and too many have been cured. Sounds ridiculous, but you never know. Been around this all my life.
    Never under estimate the power of belief.
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Quote Originally Posted by trooper dan View Post
    Sorry I didn't notice it on your list.
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    And more salt,
    Will be worth more than all these spices.
    Salt is used in canning, pickling and preserving meat.
    Also different salts contain beneficial minerals (Himalayan pink salt) and obviously table salt contains iodine that is also healthy in reasonable amounts. Don't forget salt and sugar combined makes a great electrolyte solution that has medical benefits.
    Very valuable if you don't live near the coast, but as I had discovered reading online, evaporating your own sea salt out of seawater can contain heavy metals and other contaminates if concentrated this way. So it might be worth storing if you are inland.
    + 100
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat