Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: some thing to store now for post shtf

Pine needle tea is my sinus/allergy fix.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

a source of vitamin-C as well add honey to cut the bitterness

All I taste is citrus. It has a WHOLE lot of stuff going on with it. Bunch of different vitamin complexes, active ingredient of Temaflu/Teraflu, all kinds of good stuff.
    Trust. It's what's for dinner.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Weapon View Post
    Pine needle tea is my sinus/allergy fix.
    I'll need to remember to gather some next year, before the snow and ice buries them.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Local Amish store has a large selection of tinctures and oils at reasonable prices, picked up clove and tea tree oil for the med supplies. Nurse Amy (of doomandbloom) did a podcast on aroma-type therapy, forget the recommendations now, peppermint oil was one I think. Didn't notice any difference myself, except a not unpleasant smell.

Picked up copies of the Petersen's field guides for edible wild plants and medicinal herbs and ID'ed most of the common plants growing around my AO a few years back. Dried a few types, sweet fern, raspberry leaves, St John's Wort, and mullein. Raspberry tea tasted bad (and no raspberry flavor), but had vitamin C they say. Sweet fern tea had an almost broth-type flavor, reminded me somehow of the chicken broth that you used to get out of the old style coffee vending machines. Not bad. St John's Wort tea didn't have any noticeable psychologic effect, but then I don't suffer from depression either. Made a tincture with the mullein and cheap 80-proof vodka, soaked for a week and drained and repeated 3 times with fresh mullein each time. Petersen's said it smoothed mucus membranes and had some anti-viral properties, tried it (mullein/vodka "screwdriver" 3 times a day) the next time I had a cold and didn't notice any improvement (that the vodka wouldn't explain ) or reduced illness time. I don't consider any of it waste of time tho, even though most of the effects weren't noticeable to me it might have use as a placebo if nothing else.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

mullien leaves when fresh can be used as toilet paper and pepermint oil is good for nausea and upset stomach
    i have the doom&bloom medical hand book good read also thier first-aid videos are good. so what other tinctures have you made. pedersons field guide to medicinal herbs and plants theres two one for each half of the country a great resource
    indeed. i make a antiviral coctail tincture vodka lemmongrass.allspice,cinnimon.nutmeg.cardamon.clov e for winter as well as
    blk elderberry syrup.
    Last edited by off the rez; 12-30-2015 at 07:18 AM.

mullien leaves when fresh can be used as toilet paper
    Mullen leaves can be used to cover wounds also

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

I guess now, you need to smell the mullien leaves first before applying to a wound

Peppermint is also good for heartburn.

We could go on all day about herbs and spices in different structure and combination, but your safest and easiest way to learn about homeopaths is to have a couple of highly rated books on hand as reference and as needed remedies because, a lot of the fresh mixtures have to be used immediately. It doesn't keep or store well once combined.
    If you need to harvest in quantity, keep everything seperate until you need it to prolong it's life span.

Just a FYI. Most of Mother Natures kitchen and med cab is more effective as a stand alone.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 12-30-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Sorry I didn't notice it on your list.
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    Salt
    And more salt,
    Will be worth more than all these spices.
    Salt is used in canning, pickling and preserving meat.
    Also different salts contain beneficial minerals (Himalayan pink salt) and obviously table salt contains iodine that is also healthy in reasonable amounts. Don't forget salt and sugar combined makes a great electrolyte solution that has medical benefits.
    Very valuable if you don't live near the coast, but as I had discovered reading online, evaporating your own sea salt out of seawater can contain heavy metals and other contaminates if concentrated this way. So it might be worth storing if you are inland.
    Last edited by trooper dan; 12-30-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. Oscar Wilde