Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alright maryland and surrounding states!!!!!!

you might also find this helpful on two fronts.
    It will show all the hams close to you.
    You could contact them all and say you are new to amateur radio and are looking for an Elmer and then see where the conversation goes.

Here's a true story from when I took my test.
    After the test while everyone waited on them to be graded we went into another room and sat at round tables and visited while we waited. My table eventually got down to me and a guy late 40's and his son early 20's. That was a pretty much give away. Pretty much anyone getting a ham license in these days of cell phones is going to be a prepper. So I asked "Why are you guys getting your ham license?"

"So we can communicate when the end of the world as we know it arrives"

exact quote.

So obviously I got to know them and we shared a meal at their home and went from there.

http://www.qrz.com/gridmapper

In the sailing hub of Maryland, living on my boat.
    It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating. Oscar Wilde

Frederick County, Maryland.

Since I see this post has had another response...I am putting out the message that I am still here. I am still willing to organize with other preppers in the "area" (however big or small that may be). I would refer you to my original post for the real statement of my intent. I have made one true friend (wheel wheels...you got your ears on?) from this post. Our families can now rely on each other in any situation. Though this outcome is ideal and welcome, at the very least you could connect with other like minded people. The nature of prepping has a tendency to make us all reclusive, I get that. But even a turtle has to stick its head out and sniff around once in a while. To sum up, I will paraphrase some Thomas Payne. One man might be able to raise a tolerable dwelling, but could not tend to his other needs. Thus such a man, alone might be said to perish rather than die. (Completely ****ty parahrase...but if you have read Common Sense, you get the point)

And...if you have not read Common Sense by Thomas Payne, go do it now...lol. Or you could cheat and listen to it being read on youtube. Way too important piece of literature not to be in your book collection. Its always in the cheap buy section at barnes and nobles....

The Audio version done for Thomas Paynes Common Sense was GREAT!!
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

We have a small mutal assistance group (MAG) here. It functions during good times and bad. We have keys to each others homes and occasionally house-sit/pet-sit while the resident is away. We provide advice and support, help when ever it is needed. It's like an extended family.

The key here is we didn't go looking for MAG members... this gradually evolved over time as we got to know people as friends and assessed over months and years:
    1 were they trustworthy?
    2 do they have good judgment?
    3 do they show a pattern and history of making good life choices?
    4 are they concerned about the situations going on in the world and are they interested in belonging to such a group if it did exist?

There is no "structure" in this group other than we all care a great deal about each other. No one is "boss" or leader. All participation is voluntary. You can't enforce an agreement written on paper, if someone chooses to violate that, they can and will. You don't need to enforce acts of love. IMHO this is what it really comes down to for a MAG, aside from being trustworthy and reliable, the people just have to love each other. Without those 3 I would be skeptical of any kind of group... but with those, you've got something solid.

We have a medical professional who can suture and prescribe. We have a Sheriff's Office contact with shall we say "privileged access" to higher levels of what is going on in the community. We have someone acquainted with gardening, livestock and rural living. We have someone capable of fixing or building a wide variety of things. Everyone in the group is a gun owner and a passable shooter. Everyone has had some basic first aid & CPR training. We all camp recreationally and have a fairly good assortment of gear. We are all independent thinkers who can see what is going on in the world and know we need each other. We have no agenda other than taking care of ourselves and figuring out how to minimize the discomfiting effects if bad comes to worse. Nobody here wants to get involved in illegal activities or stir up trouble.

Not to belabor the point too much, but when you form up some kind of group with someone you don't know you have no idea what they're going to do with the information about you or your group. There was a joke about such, I forget exactly how it goes but long story short there was this militia or group of some kind... they were sitting around a campfire one evening and they all end up confessing - one that he was an FBI informant sent there to spy, another that he was a DHS spook sent there to agitate, another that he was ATF there to incite them to illegal action, another that he was a US Marshal there to arrest them all for conspiracy, etc. Turns out nobody in that "militia" was actually a regular Joe, they were all plants, agitators, instigators and informants. Well, I wouldn't say it's that bad out there but it happens often enough that it's something people definitely have concerns about. It's actually been published that in most of the cases of "terrorist groups" that have been taken down, they weren't actually doing anything illegal UNTIL a plant joined the group and gradually over months got them to do things they otherwise would not have done via persuasion or peer pressure. It's my understanding that is kind of how Randy Weaver got into trouble, he was talked into doing something illegal by a plant then they came to bust him for it.

I'm no fan of the "go it alone" school of thought, hence we have a small group of people we have known a LONG time before sharing much with. In my mind it's better to have a small but competent group than to try for numbers and end up with troublemakers that you live to regret including. Between the few of us we have youth to compensate for age, and wisdom to compensate for inexperience, ability to compensate for lack thereof... we all pick up the slack for each other in some way. Oh, and if anyone were to agitate for doing something that would get another of us into trouble, they would be out on their ear SO fast... of course that's never come up because we knew each other for literally YEARS before ever considering including them as "family".

And speaking of family... NO, folks are not invited just because there is a connection to them on the family tree... be it leaf, twig branch or trunk... none of that buys you an automatic spot on the guest list. Everyone has earned a spot by virtue of, well, their own personal virtues before they even know the group exists. The only relative I would even consider adding would be my brother and his family and that is because we know them well, they are virtuous people who can pull their own weight and would be so inclined, and have valuable skills to add. They are not part of our MAG because they live 17 hours away. Now, if they were refugees, we could take them in and vice-versa, and at that time, an expanded MAG might take shape. But I will say plainly that the remainder of my various relations (wife's too) are not on the invite list and wouldn't be welcome. You can't be like Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose and try to help everyone, because in the end you'll end up helping no one and in fact doing disservice to those who truly have a rightful claim to your help.
    Last edited by bruss01; 09-13-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Your points are all valid, just as valid as mine. Groups, friendships, MAGS, all have to start somewhere. Where I live, it is unlikley for any of these to form organically. People around here need a little nudge. Im certainly not giving away the keys to the bunker to anyone I meet. You always have to exercise caution when meeting new people for any reason, more so in the prepper community. But again, it has to start somewhere...
    So...if I paint this air conditioner camouflage, is it tactical cooling equipment?