Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alright maryland and surrounding states!!!!!!

I'm in a small MAG and it's a real PITA sometimes, especially when the group is evenly divided on an issue.

I see both sides of the argument, going at it alone and hoping to make contacts after (or during) the downfall has a lot of advantages in the OPSEC arena pre-downfall. Once you let someone in and give them information about your plans and supplies you can't take that back. It's hard to know who to trust, and people can change

I also see the advantage of being in a group. It certainly makes things like 24/7 BOL security easier but I'd be lying if I said being part of a MAG is easy. Maybe the MAG I'm in isn't typical, but there are always arguments over the dumbest stuff. At times it makes me question whether it's worth it or not, but in the end I think it is (for me anyway)
    Last edited by Tdale; 12-25-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

No bashing here either. Bugin vs bugout, 1911 vs glock, gasoline vs diesel, preparedness group vs lone wolf (or anything in between), there's no one right answer for all scenarios. I'm offgrid in Amish/Mennonite country, if I lived inside the DC beltway I'd have different plans.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

The level of involvement would be up to each individual. I am not divulging the location, size nor the content of my prep. Not until I am sure about someone. I would not expect that from others either. Again, it is more about networking, meeting folks, establishing lines of communication in a crisis event and helping other people learn and prepare. I am not saying I am Mr.Prepper and will be able to teach everything. Wether or not you were looking for a permanent close knit group or just a way to reach out to people that had thier act together during a crisis, this would be an opportunity to set some of that up ahead of time.

Just an example: Picture a straight line on a piece of paper, mark three points on the line equal distances apart A,B and C in alphabetical order. Now lets say A and C represent two families or groups that have a permanent working relationship of mutual cooperation. B represents another group or family that A and or C know of and have the means of contacting. So then group A loses thier homes to fire, flood,whatever and needs to move through B to get to C since they made that arrangement in an advanced contingency plan. Group B could be contacted to find out what the roads are like, if there would be a best route through to thier destination. Possibly even offer a safe place to stop and rest mid way through the travel. Most preppers would be likely to help others if they had some prior contact. I personally would rather deal with another prepper in a crisis than just another Joe Citizen. At least they would have much less motivation to screw you over. In general preppers are the last people you will have to worry about being animals in a crisis event. Since they will not likely be hungry or cold or deprived of thier decency due to thier being prepared.

I know the world isn't straight lines and nothing is certain nor guaranteed. Not everyone shares my values. If I were the B group in the line I would lend a hand. I would likely offer the best route and some tactical cover for thier movements if I could. If thier journey was long and especially if they were on foot, I would offer them rest somewhere safe. If I knew them well enough and had a handle on thier moral compass I would take them inside my retreat. If not then I would arrange a safe place where they could hold up overnight. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with combined with common sense. At a minimum, as group B, I would know they were passing through my area and not someone trying to loot me. I know many people have thier own perspective on this, I tend to be a bit Rawlesian when it comes to such matters. I would be armed to the teeth in case thier intent was not genuine, but perfectly willing to be helpful if it was.

M.D.
    You are on the right track and I posit most of the folks here agree.
    But you are not trying to reach ones like us that have given up a bit of the grey life by just being here.
    The challenge for you and all of us is how to discover as many like minded individuals as possible.
    The problem is that there are lots of folks out there that aren't going to respond to this post, or a Craigslist post, or a note left on a bulletin board at Tractor Supply.

You are going to have to go find them.

I think your post here is a good idea, but would ask this. How many responses do you have so far where you have either had a face to face meeting or have received a PM with a name and address? I bet not many. Just the nature of the environment.

So I applaud your public efforts but would suggest to you that you have to do the grinding slow network building to achieve your goals.

Well, I have been at this thread for a few weeks. Its not the only site I have posted on and I am already putting feet to action in the real world as well as the cyber one. So as for this site, the total is up to a whopping zero. But I have at least generated some interest and have a long thread of posts that explain how I intend to proceed. I am being optimistic as possible and hoping for results on all fronts. Wish me luck! Going to need it.I do however feel that I am doing the right thing.

Well, I have been at this thread for a few weeks. Its not the only site I have posted on and I am already putting feet to action in the real world as well as the cyber one. So as for this site, the total is up to a whopping zero. But I have at least generated some interest and have a long thread of posts that explain how I intend to proceed. I am being optimistic as possible and hoping for results on all fronts. Wish me luck! Going to need it.I do however feel that I am doing the right thing.
    Agreed, you are doing the right things, just don't expect people to expose themselves quickly. You are wise to spread the invitation far and wide, but honestly I think you are going to have the best results by immersing yourself into local activities were you might expect to find preppers. And a prepper a mile away is far more valuable than one in MD, but 100 miles away.

You're right, the closer the better. Though the multiple state approach is also geared towards setting up a communication network for this geographic area. Having information can be critical in any situation. Even something going on in another state can impact you sooner than later. And if I can help people get connected in other states as well that would be great.

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

Another option, geared mostly for use after the SHTF, might be the Channel 3 Project / 3-3-3 Radio Plan these sites/groups have proposed:

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...ommunications/
    https://www.amrron.com/communication...s/ch3-project/

The two are slightly different in their plan, but compatible enough on the times and freqs that you'd still be able to make contact within a couple hours. Everyone will be trying to listen in a disaster, and whether it's these plans or some other, I have to believe word will spread pretty quickly on a basic radio plan for making contact.

Know that's probably not what you're looking for M.D. but could be part of a Plan B. Would be interested in hearing anything you care to share about your comm plan and equipment.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Sorry it took me a long time to reply...work..holidays..bah humbug...lol. Thanks for the links. In all honesty I am a HAM noob. I am currently looking for my local operators club, but im pretty sure they must have closed up shop. Most of the email addresses for them keep bouncing back. I do however like the idea of a national type info network. Though I would assume that channel would be closely monitored if not down right by the powers that be. You know how they feel about information. If it didn't come from them its not appropriate for the general population. As soon as I get the time I will thoroughly read the links and respond. Though to be honest, it will be an opinion of less than novice level.

I applaud your efforts, you are just going to have to be patient and try multiple fronts simultaneously, but there are like minded folks out there.

You mentioned earlier that even contacts in other parts of the state are good to have and I agree. One thing I have done in the past with some friends on this board is to arrange emergency stops with them when traveling. Obviously you have to develop rapport over time to build trust, but I have posted an itinerary on a few road trips I have made and gotten a few folks to allow me to bug out to their location if SHTF while I was on that trip.