Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alright maryland and surrounding states!!!!!!

Agreed every contact could be your last. However, your chances of making a successful barter or exchange would be a lot better dealing with another prepper. Since they may only be looking for a single item, that and the fact that you already possibly met him or her. Even sat down to a cup of coffee over a skill sharing meet. Nothing would be safe or guaranteed in that situation. Hell, you could be watering the garden one minute then fighting for your life the next.

My a.o prepper group meets every thursday at the corner of walk and dont walk.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

My coworkers know I prep, enjoy my firearms, and have heard the Fed Reserve/financial collapse/national debt clock rant for years... Some at work also do their own version of prepping as they have farms/ranch living situations... I live 50 miles from work, so in a major shtf they'd be of little value... I have access to remote land in the hill country of NW Ark for a BOL... 275 miles isn't exactly optimal to travel... So, go it alone it is... I have made it a priority to get to be familiar with the neighbors, which has been a benefit... All seem pretty conservative and family oriented... A couple are gun enthusiasts... We have briefly chatted about gun preferences and such... One will be a gun range buddy at some point... That will be as far as I push prepping evaluation with them... If and when it all goes totally down, it will be alliances I make after it happens... You will find some pretty motivated people at that point, some beneficial to the 'cause' and most panicked and dangerous...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Canadian border state that begins with a "M"

I subscribe to Joe's take on it, and with explo's catch-22/nut jobs comment. But a lot has to do with what you're planning for, it'd be a lot easier to come up with a plan if we knew the nature of the event beforehand. What might work well after an EMP might not during an epidemic. I don't think there's a right or a wrong answer when it comes to prepper groups for that reason, and for every argument that "there's strength in numbers" there's the counter that "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

When I got started we were called survivalists (ya know, just like the Unabomber) and there was a stigma attached to that label and most, me included, didn't advertise. That, and the 90's militia movement, shaped a lot of my thinking. I thought a lot about joining a militia group back then, and was glad I didn't after Tim McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing. Think more than anything it was that, and the militia crackdown by the feds afterwards, that taught me it was always going to be easier to join a group than to completely distance myself from it if I wanted/needed to later. Some decisions can't be undone, and how can anyone be sure today what team is the right one to be on 20 years from now?

So no group affiliations here, just a small circle of family, friends, and a few neighbors. Keep as many options open as possible, and if/when the SHTF (and after the dust settles), then decide how best to deal with it - whatever 'it' was. Preps and distance will hopefully buy us the time to decide.
    Everything marked, everything 'membered. You wait, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    I subscribe to Joe's take on it, and with explo's catch-22/nut jobs comment. But a lot has to do with what you're planning for, it'd be a lot easier to come up with a plan if we knew the nature of the event beforehand. What might work well after an EMP might not during an epidemic. I don't think there's a right or a wrong answer when it comes to prepper groups for that reason, and for every argument that "there's strength in numbers" there's the counter that "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

When I got started we were called survivalists (ya know, just like the Unabomber) and there was a stigma attached to that label and most, me included, didn't advertise. That, and the 90's militia movement, shaped a lot of my thinking. I thought a lot about joining a militia group back then, and was glad I didn't after Tim McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing. Think more than anything it was that, and the militia crackdown by the feds afterwards, that taught me it was always going to be easier to join a group than to completely distance myself from it if I wanted/needed to later. Some decisions can't be undone, and how can anyone be sure today what team is the right one to be on 20 years from now?

So no group affiliations here, just a small circle of family, friends, and a few neighbors. Keep as many options open as possible, and if/when the SHTF (and after the dust settles), then decide how best to deal with it - whatever 'it' was. Preps and distance will hopefully buy us the time to decide.
    Perfectly said. Not to mention that I am NYS, so my paranoia runs especially high after the passage of the SAFE Act. The $hit I hear from other people scares the crap out of me here. I hate that law, but I refuse to break the law and risk jail, which would be the worst place for me to be when SHTF, or even if it doesn't.

Joe - NY

So John Rambo for you guys it is...But not for me. I know it is unrealistic to think that you could live out any SHTF situation in isolation. And to think that making alliances after the event (insert your apocalypse here) would be safe is wishful thinking at best. Why would you include someone in your newly formed alliance that was not a prepper? At best they are good people who are completely unprepared. They are then going to eat from your stored food? Use your medicine? Worst case, as they get hungry and start to feel its effects and by the look of you since your not losing weight....then they revert to animal instinct and try to take your prep. But your Rambo and you stop them, and your alone. Or you drip feed them enough to get by, and they want more or better or all of it. I would rather be at a minimum connected to other people who were prepared

Again...this IS NOT A MILITIA...period. So there is no right or wrong side to be on at any given time. It at its least would be a loose network of preppers that agree on radio and HAM channels for comms, make barter contacts ect. At its best it can help already established groups link up with others they share the same ideals with, or solo families to connect to start a group.

There is no reason in my opinion to prepare for any one single event. I have no clue what will happen. So I am prepared as I can be for any event that may occur. If you are focused on a single type of event in your prep you will be lacking in others. So what difference does it make what event I am planning for? It does not stop me from connecting with and sharing skills and ideas with other preppers. So We should segregate ourselves according to each apocalypse? Ok...EMP preppers on the right...Civil unrest people on the left...Pandemic preppers go to the big plastic tent in the back...

Im just as paranoid as anyone else. But I am also realistic enough to know that to make it through to the other side of any crisis you need to be ready. Unless you really are Rambo or Grizzly Adams you will need to be connected with others who are already prepared. I am not asking anyone to break the law. What good would that do if my connections wound up in jail? Anyone interested in joining the organization proper can do so. Otherwise you can keep in touch, share ideas and information, meet other people who prep, maybe even make a friend (gasp). There is nothing illegal about that. If a particular person came around and they were a nut job, then I and everyone else would likely exclude him or her. Simple as that. Not to be spiteful or elitist, simply to protect ourselves. So my opinion is this...so what if a super secret spy guy infiltrates the group? What is he going to find? A bunch of people who learn survival techniques from one another? Folks who have communications in place in case of a disaster...eavesdrop on the best method to store rice...argue the finer points of the Constitution. ..oh no...rocket stoves!!!!!!

So all that said, if you are not interested in this please dont bash my idea. If you are set on staying solo, there is nothing I am going to say that would change your mind. Which is a shame since you could potentially be an invaluable resource to help others. But beating up this post with negative comments is not going to help. There is a risk in contacting others. There is risk inherent in everything you do, you could get in your car and get hit by a drunk driver....but most of us don't. Maybe that is because they are alert and paying attention to the other drivers around them. There is a definite parallel from that situation to this one. All I am saying is, please dont troll this post just to have something to do. If you have helpful advice or insight or concerns, thats great. But if your just posting here with no interest in what I am trying to do, then my question to you would be why? I am being genuine and upfront with my motivation and ideas for this project. I know it isn't a perfect world, I could run into a nut job or two or ten. Im willing to deal with that in order to try to get myself and others connected. Not only for my benefit but as many others as I can help along the way.

Big groups draw attention. People naturaly have loose lips. And the big groups will most likely get pinched first. Its not to say some of these guys arnt part of groups. There just very covert avout stuff like that.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

In a few words, what you desire most is the sharing of ideas and learning new things. That is what this site is for, you stumbled into the right place. There are people here from all over the US, I don't know how many have a common AO as yourself. In my case, I know or only one member, and he is a county away (no big deal). So yes, I want to develop a local MAG, have approached a few and all they wanted to know was what I had so they could (and did) tell everyone else.

We tried here for a MAG back in 2010, but the distances between us was too great to travel to join forces. I can't load up a wagon train of supplies and go 100 miles after SHTF, it has to be all set up in advance, and we all need to be living a few miles apart for it to be effective.

I have been looking for quite a while, made a few mistakes in people choices, which I will never live down, so I am still in the picking/choosing position. I'm very interested in how things will work out with your quest, meanwhile, sharing ideas and finding others posts here will be quite enlightening, even for those that think they have a lot of knowledge.

Not bashing. It's just not for me and mine. Carry on.

Joe - NY