Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite phones....

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Default Satellite phones....

Does anyone have experience/info using them, satellite use and satellite shielding from EMP... I've done the consumer search stuff and realize they can be pricey, but how are they as an option in a teotwawki/grid down scenario ???
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

The Chinese are currently testing anti satellite weapons.

http://news.usni.org/2015/05/11/pent...eapons-jammers

I imagine in a WW situation that would be one of the first comms they hit as our country relies so heavily on it for communication.

I've looked into these too, Sat phones. Yes they are expensive, and if I recall, there is thread here already on it, pros, cons, ect.

Bottom- line, satellites in orbit are just as susceptible to EMP effects as the hand held unit in your hand (as opposed to being in a Faraday cage), so really it's a matter of the satellites orbital position at the time the EMP effects hit.

In the end, I passed.

Joe - NY

I've used Iridium based sat phones in the past, I have no experience with Globalstar or inmarsat.

They are great for areas without cell coverage, but.......

As other have mentioned they are somewhat expensive, most Sat Phones are around $1000 and a basic plan with 250 minutes with unlimited texting will cost around $129 a month

Also mentioned sat phones are easily jammed/disrupted due to their very low power output and distance from phone to satellite

Also the data rate for an iridium satphone is somewhere around 2400 Baud (think very, very old dial -up modem speed)

However if you want global sat comms (and can live without voice) there is the Delorme InReach http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AG-009...elorme+inreach

It's 1/3 the cost of a sat phone and still uses the same Iridium satellite constellation. An unlimited texting/location sharing plan is $50 a month. which is way less expensive than an unlimited texting plan on a sat phone.
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I did an initial search of the site and didn't see much on the subject... There are 2 major systems ... One with stationary satellites over the equator and one with orbiting pole satellites... I would imagine that these satellites are exposed to CMEs and are shielded for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    I've used Iridium based sat phones in the past, I have no experience with Globalstar or inmarsat.

They are great for areas without cell coverage, but.......

As other have mentioned they are somewhat expensive, most Sat Phones are around $1000 and a basic plan with 250 minutes with unlimited texting will cost around $129 a month

Also mentioned sat phones are easily jammed/disrupted due to their very low power output and distance from phone to satellite

Also the data rate for an iridium satphone is somewhere around a 9600 Baud (think very old dial -up modem speed)

However if you want global sat comms there is the Delorme InReach http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AG-009...elorme+inreach

it's 1/3 the cost of a sat phone and still uses the same Iridium satellite constellation. An unlimited texting/location sharing plan is $50 a month. which is way less expensive than an unlimited texting plan on a sat phone.
    Good info... My use would not be for EDC but for shtf and com with family...

Iridium has the best coverage (true worldwide) followed by inmarsat, and finally globalstar with the worst coverage
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Does the system need 'earthy' support that would cause the system to fail in a grid down event???

Good question.....I'm not sure about Iridium

I know without constant monitoring and tiny orbit adjustments the GPS satellite constellation would soon be useless, I would assume the same to be true of any satellite constellation, that they would need terrestrial support to continue functioning
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 11:53 AM.

I wonder if the satellites have on board monitoring to make such adjustments???