Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite phones....

Just thinking out loud here, but assume the satellite constellation is self correcting and require no terrestrial support to maintain their orbit location, I would think that terrestrial support is still needed to tell the satellites which devices are authorized for use and which are not.

Otherwise you could buy a sat phone and talk forever on it, even if you didn't pay your bill.

I'm assuming that this "subscriber" information is still terrestrial based and uploaded to the satellites when a request to make a call is made, Take away the grid and I don't know how the satellites would know whether or not you were an authorized subscriber, let alone if you had enough minutes to make a call
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I have an Iridium. Not that expensive if you really feel the need for comms. The way it works as I understand is that Iridium satellites circle along the equator, while other services circle the poles. Therefore, for most people, Iridium gets better service. The exception is obviously at the poles and close to them. My Iridium worked great whenI was in Argentina. We were near the 40 south parallel. By comparison, the Wyoming Idaho border is 40 north. Who knows how much further it works. I lease mine, write off all of the costs, and get about 1 hour month and it accumulates. My sons GF is severely diabetic and in addition to sat phone I always get Global Rescue for insurance, but that's a different thread. It's nice to know I can reach out in the event of trouble. I hunt Mule Deer in Sonora, Mexico near Sasabe, Az. Known as Cocaine Alley. I like comms in case I need to get out.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

My understanding is that the Inmarsat sat (3) are at the equator and doesn't cover the poles... I can't imagine I'd ever be that far north . http://www.satellitephonereview.com/...rage_Maps.html
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    My understanding is that the Inmarsat sat (3) are at the equator and doesn't cover the poles... I can't imagine I'd ever be that far north . http://www.satellitephonereview.com/...rage_Maps.html
    Correct, you would need Iridium for coverage at the poles, Inmarsat (Geostationary orbit along the equator) will provide adequate coverage for 99% of most people's needs, but the further North or South you go the worse the coverage. So if you're part of that last 1% and are heading far north or south (Greenland / Antarctica) you have to go with Iridium
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

OK, I got it backwards. Story of my life. Anyway, I went a little different this time. The thing I have works more like a modem. I set it in one place and up to three cell phones can work off of it at a time. Kinda like that it doesn't drop call because I can't seem to stand in one place and talk. I put it on my truck roof and let the cell do the work.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    The thing I have works more like a modem. I set it in one place and up to three cell phones can work off of it at a time. Kinda like that it doesn't drop call because I can't seem to stand in one place and talk. I put it on my truck roof and let the cell do the work.
    Are you talking about the Iridium Go? https://www.iridium.com/products/details/iridiumgo

Been looking at one for a sailing trip I have this upcoming summer. I want a way to get GRIBS and stay in touch. I know I can do that with HF, a PACTOR III/IV modem, and Sail Mail but the Iridium go is actually less expensive, has better features, is more reliable and has data rate 5X faster than PACTOR from what I have read

If you have the Iridium Go how do you like it?

Trying to find better options, but so far the Iridium Go keeps coming out on top for my sailing trip (L.A. to Hawaii) Can't wait for that trip
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdale View Post
    Are you talking about the Iridium Go? https://www.iridium.com/products/details/iridiumgo

Been looking at one for a sailing trip I have this upcoming summer. I want a way to get GRIBS and stay in touch. I know I can do that with HF, a PACTOR III/IV modem, and Sail Mail but the Iridium go is actually less expensive, has better features, is more reliable and has data rate 5X faster than PACTOR from what I have read

If you have the Iridium Go how do you like it?

Trying to find better options, but so far the Iridium Go keeps coming out on top for my sailing trip (L.A. to Hawaii) Can't wait for that trip
    Yea, that's it. Works better than keeping a signal with a normal sat phone. I walk around, pacing and such. Worked well in Sonora, Mx, Patagonia, Argentina, and about 150 miles offshore at Perdido platform in the Gulf out of Port Aransas. And then here at the house and at the ranch, but a cell works there. I guess the only bad side to it is that you keep 2 things charged instead of either a cell or sat phone. Again, I lease these things. Technology improves so fast these days, there is no reason to buy one unless you just like antiques.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 11-23-2015 at 04:16 PM.

How far a distance are you interested in Hate? If short 5 mi's or less I have Motorola HT750's. Damn good radios...
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by texasskeeter View Post
    How far a distance are you interested in Hate? If short 5 mi's or less I have Motorola HT750's. Damn good radios...
    Houston and Austin Tx...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

If you have family in Houston and Austin, it might finally be time to forget about them. LOL
    "The First Gay President", L'dMAO!! "Peace can ONLY be achieved through SUPERIOR FIREPOWER, STOMPING LIBS and CARPETBOMBING"!!