Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: goTenna Review

It would be something like this then: http://www.beartooth.com/

This is essentially everything being looked for without encryption. If priced right would be an excellent backup tool for portable HAM radios.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Thanks Tdale for the review, I seen these about a year ago and knew they were coming but didnt know when... I will be ordering these soon, my intended use is pretty much what urs is... to be used with my younger children.
    I remember having the same thought process about a dummy cord point as well, figured maybe epoxy or jb weld on a loop if it can be done neatly so it doesnt ghetto it up.
    Anyway thanks for the review/heads up.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by john-doh View Post
    It would be something like this then: http://www.beartooth.com/

This is essentially everything being looked for without encryption. If priced right would be an excellent backup tool for portable HAM radios.
    Damn you, now I'll have to order a Beartooth..... Looks very promising. Since it's a HAM based SDR I wonder if they can add TRBO or P25 support
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Yeah but unless they make them for the s5, I wont get one I love my ability to pull my batt whenever I want to disapear...
    Not to mention when I need to change it
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    Yeah but unless they make them for the s5, I wont get one I love my ability to pull my batt whenever I want to disapear...
    Not to mention when I need to change it
    on their FAQ

http://www.beartooth.com/faq/

WHICH PHONES ARE SUPPORTED?
    Current plan is to support Apple iPhone 5/5S/6/6+ and Samsung Galaxy S4/S5.

GS5 here as well, Love the waterproofing, removable battery, and SD card slot. The Waterproofing saved my A$$ when I jumped in a pool not too long ago with my phone still in my pocket, I can confirm that the phone is indeed submersion proof (At least as far as diving into the deep end of a pool for a few seconds as you loudly scream "$hit" underwater when you realize your phone is in your pocket)

I use the SD card Slot all the time when I check my game cameras, and it's dumb not to have a battery the user can replace
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I would be willing to bet they come out with a universal model sooner rather than later. Making phone specific models will become tiring after a couple of iterations and plunging sales due to pigeon holing themselves to those specific models. I cant imagine I will be hopping on this bandwagon until version 2 or 3 but it does reinforce the idea that the GoTenna can be further manipulated for additional features. It is after all just a peer to peer antenna.

been reading up on the Beartooth, Looks like they agree with you.

On their blog they say "Product Update. We have an exciting product update to share with our early supporters. Many pairing methods have been charted on our product roadmap; we are pleased to announce that Beartooth now pairs with nearly ANY iOS or Android smartphone via Bluetooth."

I still like the goTenna format. I don't really need or want a case to put my phone in, I just want a weatherproof Bluetooth SDR with a good antenna that I can hang off my pack.

My holy grail is something very similar to the Beartooth, A dual band 5 watt HAM transceiver with a minimum of TRBO and APRS support ..... I really hope that TRBO/APRS will be possible, because if so it will replace my EDC radio if it works well.
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-22-2015 at 04:46 PM.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Beartooth became something very similar to GoTenna with voice. If thats the case then there is another comm option. Couple that with Walkie Talkie, HAM and a GoTenna and off grid comms becomes very possible.

Well I guess I'm going to hold off on the Beartooth.

I was talking with one of the goTenna devs today and they have some interesting plans for the future, Among the things we talked about is that they are currently in discussions with the FCC to implement mesh networking (Digipeating) on the goTenna.

I don't see how it will be possible on MURS, the law looks pretty clear to me. But he said there is enough wiggle room for the discussions to take place so there is a small chance mesh networking will be a future firmware upgrade

They are also looking at making goTennas that operate on the other bands that already allow mesh networking (Possibly a HAM version as well)

Lastly he was telling me that they just got a grant from HUD to provide 10,000 goTennas to business in NYC. Looks like they are getting some nice backing, this will lead to an even better gen 2 product, can't wait to see what they come up with.

On a side note: I find it interesting HUD is paying for 10,000 goTennas, must be a reason :-)

Keep your powder dry
    Last edited by Tdale; 11-23-2015 at 07:52 PM.

What do you think the effective range would be for that Gen 1 Beartooth, typical line-of-sight?

Joe - NY