Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans: Please Stop Struggling & Get The Help You Need

Default Veterans: Please Stop Struggling & Get The Help You Need

Most if not all of you may not remember me; I used to be an active member on this site a while ago, but then terminated my account due to personal reasons, but watched from the cheap seats till a few months ago.

I was reading an introduction post from Ezmoney and he wrote that he has "Two boys who are prior service, one who really never came back from Ramadi, one who doesn't talk about Tikrit. They struggle with life".

After reading that sentence, I felt compelled to create a post for our Veterans, their families or anyone who struggles with PTSD, but my message is mostly for veterans on this forum.

Veterans: Please STOP struggling and thinking that you are alone.

My last deployment in the Army pretty much changed my life in ways that I was not even aware. Shortly after getting out, my X gave birth to our only child, which should have been one of the most amazing days of my life, but I was only physically in the delivery room and not emotionally there; my mind was still deployed. It took a hand full of years for the ****e to hit the fan for me and when it did, I had no idea what was going on with my emotions or brain. It was one of the toughest journeys I have been through in my life, but I would not have been able to get through it had it not been for a few fellow veterans who had also struggled with the things they experience while on deployments. These guys were Vietnam vets and were much older than me, but not only did it not matter that they were older, it also did not matter that we were from two different conflicts, their struggles were the same as mine.

I met those old Vietnam farts while attending a VA PTSD group. I opted to not go though the intensive PTSD programs due to my mistrust of the VA and because I would have to set allot of time aside for the program which I could not due to finances, childcare and scheduling. Had it not been for those veterans welcoming me in to their group, I may not be here today writing this post. Although I know I am not 100%, I am at the very least able to function, have a much better understanding of what can trigger the crappy memories (and other issues), and have gotten a part of myself back, which I did not have when I met them. Some days are better than others, but for the most part, things are way better than before. For me and for many veterans I have met through the years, seeking help can be difficult, but it sure makes a big difference in the the quality of life I now have as well as the relationship I now have with my kiddo and others.

We currently have about 22 veterans who commit suicide EVERY DAY in the US

If you are a veteran and are struggling or if you know of a veteran that is, please help yourself/them and connect with an organization that can help you/them.

Below are a few resources that can help.

Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Each state should have veterans county service officers who represent individual counties or areas, they can help guide veterans or their family members to community resources that are specific to veterans.

Need help finding a job? Each state has what is called a DVOP in employment offices (Workforce offices), not only can they help veterans connect with jobs, but they can also help veterans connect with other resources within their communities.

If you are in Texas, then you can call TexVet (512-341-4924 ) during normal business hours and they will provide you with contact information for what ever resources you are in need of anywhere in Texas. http://www.texvet.com/

Below are a few examples of things veterans with PTSD may do without realizing that they may need some help:

Distancing yourself/themselves from friends, family or general society.
    Inability to go to sleep or stay asleep throughout the night.
    Hyper vigilant, always super alert and unable to just relax even when doing something as mundane as grocery shopping.
    Easily angered.
    Don't see yourself being alive months or years from now.
    Substance abuse issues such as alcohol, drugs or even food.
    Cant enjoy simple things such as a football game or other social events because you are to busy scanning for threats.
    Go grocery shopping late at night so as to avoid people or lines.
    Can't enjoy activities that you once enjoyed.
    Have had thoughts of ending your life.
    Have a hard time remembering things.
    Feel that your buddies who did not come back should have lived and you should have been in their place.

I realize this is a long post, but please seek help or help a veteran you know who is struggling get the help they need.

Thank you.

Well said.

image.jpgYes. And thank you for your post. It's true and devastating every day.
    Please reach out to someone. Anyone.

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/?...YlIaAgWo8P8HAQ

http://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/
    Cry in training - laugh in battle

Thank you so much for posting this thread SE.
    If you can't take care of yourself, how can you take care of your family? Please vets. Take the advice given above. Life for you, can be beautiful again, and it will be.
    You all have my love and respect!

I wanted to also mention that although my post was for veterans, we need to keep in mind that just as our veterans struggle so do their loved ones. Being married to a veteran who has PTSD can be very challenging and overwhelming for both spouses and children.

I've been divorced for a few years now and can still remember my kiddo telling me one day when she was with me for a weekend how she was always scared to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night when she was at my place, because no matter how quiet she would try to be while walking to the bathroom at night, I would always abruptly jump out of bed as she walked by my bedroom door to get to the bathroom. Although this can be a good thing for security purposes, it's not such a good thing for a young kiddo who has to go to the bath room at 2 am and is scared by their own father.

Many of the organizations mentioned above also have resources for family members of veterans, to include free individual counseling, group counseling and even free family activities put together specifically to help families address said issues. An example of this is that here in central Texas, there are a few horse programs that allow families or individual veterans to have a free day of riding horses together to help bring families a bit closer together. There are also other programs that provide veterans and their families with free tickets to sporting events to give the families some time together away from their everyday lives. There are also other organizations that put together camping or other outdoor activities also free to veterans and their families to get them away from the daily grind. These are just a few examples.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Straight Edge; 11-15-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Great post. And, a heads-up for our loved one, that now have to stand as Watchmen over our damaged Vets. Take note.

An oft used prepper maxim applied here, as well; "Gentlemen, if we do not hang together than surely we will all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    "Do or do not; There is no try." Yoda

Thanks for airing things out here for others to see. I would like to sticky this with your permission, for others to see. This is some serious and important stuff.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Thanks for airing things out here for others to see. I would like to sticky this with your permission, for others to see. This is some serious and important stuff.
    Go for it KINGCHIP, the more people that see it, the more veterans will hopefully consider seeking some help.

One other thing I would like to bring up is that veterans are often bombarded with misinformation about repercussions of seeking help. We have allot of veterans out here who choose to not seek help for fear of this misinformation. Inform your selves from credible sources and not your veteran buddy at the local VFW who obtained the information from his buddies, brother in law, cousins, sister while she was on her 5th margarita.

If anyone has any questions or needs resources, just ask and I will do what I can to get you the information, but there's always a chance other veterans on here may also have the answers. All I ask is that if anyone provides information on here that it be credible and does not add to the misinformation.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Go for it KINGCHIP, the more people that see it, the more veterans will hopefully consider seeking some help.

One other thing I would like to bring up is that veterans are often bombarded with misinformation about repercussions of seeking help. We have allot of veterans out here who choose to not seek help for fear of this misinformation. Inform your selves from credible sources and not your veteran buddy at the local VFW who obtained the information from his buddies, brother in law, cousins, sister while she was on her 5th margarita.

If anyone has any questions or needs resources, just ask and I will do what I can to get you the information, but there's always a chance other veterans on here may also have the answers. All I ask is that if anyone provides information on here that it be credible and does not add to the misinformation.

Thank you.
    Dude, if you hang around this time, let me know if you don't lie a post as being credible. We can keep it clean.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

yes well said
    I waited too long to reach out and more than me have paid for it... Hindsight is always 20/20 I only wish I would've had someone to help me start sooner. I am a long way from great, but at least I am better and in a better place.
    My 3 and 5 year old went through the same thing that your kid did too with dealing with me, I regret this more than anything else.
    I totally agree with you Please Get the Help Vets... You don't have to do this alone...
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!