Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here comes winter

Default Here comes winter

I know it's the cold season when my shop fluorescent lights don't come on first thing in the morning because it's too cold.

The drippy outside faucet starts building a ice cliff. I know I should have fixed it but hey isn't ice a good way to store clean water?

I get shocked by the price of antifreeze for the vehicles. and the minus 30 windshield fluid I pour in my truck runs out the bottom of the washer tank that already froze.

Everything that's green and not a evergreen tree dies except for the knapweed.

But I look forward to warm fires and numb fingers and toes. People look out for each other when it gets really cold in my neck of the woods.

Did 5.5 years in upstate New Yawk. . .
    BRRRR-RRR-RR-R... click... click (the sound of the key when the battery is dead).
    Ah, the ice patches and out of control doughnuts spinning down the hill.... KERTHUMP (into the "soft" guardrail).
    The joy of frozen hands, from riding a bicycle in November.
    "What's yours is yours, do not trespass upon the person, liberty or property of another."

At least up north y'all are prepared for it. Down here in my part of Texas, when we have frozen weather everything shuts down. That's because we don't have plows, no one has snow tires, most people think chains are what is used to hold down cargo, and the cities don't have salt trucks. Not to mention that we typically don't have snow but rather we have either freezing rain or sleet. RARELY do we just have snow.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

My favorite time of year. This is when I do most of my camping. The mosquito birds are gone, the ticks are not gonna give me equine simplex 32 tard flu or what ever is the latest rage...

The fires are just what you need and if I'm lucky enough to actually be camping during a snow storm... the sound of nothing is deafening.... the snow coming down though the trees is simply amazing.
    Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull****

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    At least up north y'all are prepared for it. Down here in my part of Texas, when we have frozen weather everything shuts down. That's because we don't have plows, no one has snow tires, most people think chains are what is used to hold down cargo, and the cities don't have salt trucks. Not to mention that we typically don't have snow but rather we have either freezing rain or sleet. RARELY do we just have snow.
    Yea, but our cars don't rot from rust in a few years, so there's that.

Contemplating wearing a long sleeve Tee with my shorts due to the chill in the air this morning. Ahhhh, decisions.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDuce View Post
    My favorite time of year. This is when I do most of my camping. The mosquito birds are gone, the ticks are not gonna give me equine simplex 32 tard flu or what ever is the latest rage...

The fires are just what you need and if I'm lucky enough to actually be camping during a snow storm... the sound of nothing is deafening.... the snow coming down though the trees is simply amazing.
    This. Best time of the year to be out.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Although I prefer warmer climates, I do agree with steve and packer on the camping aspect... love me some winter camping...
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Ah winter, 20 below days watching Somalis drivers trying to jump start their tractor with a Corolla, special times

Ahhhhhh.... Chip, you hit it on the head!
    Long sleeve hoodie (camo of course) , gloves and shorts for our Texas winter apparel
    Armageddon Catering....Providing All Of Your Post SHTF And TEOTWAWKI Needs.

It was in the 80's yesterday. My wife and I sat on the porch in shorts handing out candy. In typical Sacramento fashion fall doesn't start until 11/1. True to form there's a chance of rain today with the highs in the low 70's for the next 10-days. Good thing I cleaned the gutters yesterday too.