Thread: Lightening Arrestor for antenna/tower

Default Lightening Arrestor for antenna/tower

Put a 40' mast up at the ranch. Have both Ham antenna and cell booster antenna up there. It is recommended(by the folks that sell you stuff), to put a lightening arrestor on or inline. I put 2 ground lines on 6' deep ground rods, but don't really get the arrestor. Does it go inline, or is it a lot on or something? Do I need one for each coax? For moisture reduction, the coax connections are all inside the house. Is this where I put the arrestor inline? Is inside the house where you want to stop the lightening?

I will eventually put the same HAM antenna up on my house so this is good practice install.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Put a 40' mast up at the ranch. Have both Ham antenna and cell booster antenna up there. It is recommended(by the folks that sell you stuff), to put a lightening arrestor on or inline. I put 2 ground lines on 6' deep ground rods, but don't really get the arrestor. Does it go inline, or is it a lot on or something? Do I need one for each coax? For moisture reduction, the coax connections are all inside the house. Is this where I put the arrestor inline? Is inside the house where you want to stop the lightening?

I will eventually put the same HAM antenna up on my house so this is good practice install.
    Yes. Get a Polyphaser for each run of coax you have.

http://www.smithspower.com/brands/po...rge-protection
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Yes. Get a Polyphaser for each run of coax you have.

http://www.smithspower.com/brands/po...rge-protection
    +1, put them on every coax coming in house. Right before it comes in the house, they make clamps to mount them to right at the ground rods. Expensive but so is insurance.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

^^^^ do this chip
    You will be glad you did, cheaper than a new radio thats for sure. I always put a double loop in the coax at the tower for insurance as well.
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Ground your physical tower to the two grounding rods with braid of regular (woven) ground wire used for electrical system grounds. Take one from each rod to a common spot on the tower. This will ground the lightening stroke. Use the arrestor on the coaxes as mentioned and ground to the common point on the tower, so all grounds bond at the exact same location. on the tower. This will minimize ground gradients. Your rig should also be grounded to this common bond. The tricky part is the power supply, you want it grounded to the same common bond on the tower. Best to run on batteries, negative to the bond, NO ground connections to the house electric system. What will happen is the surge will seek the best ground,, and you want everything to be on ONE ground, so there is no differentials.

An interesting aside, which reinforces these concepts and adds some insight. I knew someone that had a well pump, they grounded it to the well casing. It is a great ground, think about it. The problem was, every lightening storm,. regardless if there was a strike in their immediate area, would blow the pump. What was happening was that the well casing was such a perfect ground that the entire region was using it, thereby surging out he pump. Same idea with the tower/antenna/rig, common but isolated (from the world) ground is the way to go. Charge the batteries off the tower ground if you are using the electric grid..

Thanks guys, kinda reinforced what I perceived as common sense but with instructions to boot.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Polyphazer for certain. Around here the local and state EMA uses them. They are the best I know of.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13