Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho Property

Default Idaho Property

My wife and I are seriously considering the purchase of property in Idaho, and knowing that there are a handful of folks on the forum that are in the area where I am looking I thought I would seek out advice and/or opinions from those that are actually there or near by. The area I am currently looking at is the Silver Valley, east of CDA. No specific reason for looking in this area other than it seems to meet a lot of my criteria of what I want should I actually pull the trigger on this purchase.

My requirements:
    Water, lots of it and ideally multiple sources. Well, springs, creeks, etc.
    Currently looking at properties 20 acres and larger, but may consider smaller properties that meet my needs.
    Suitable area for building, obviously, and some pasture area.
    Year round access with 4X4 with plow.
    Electric and natural gas are both desirable but not required.
    Perks for septic system.

So to those of you in or knowledgeable of this area, is there anything I am missing or anything that is unrealistic?

Sounds perfectly reasonable, and you'll probably find more than a few properties out that way that meet your requirements. Heck, can find plenty of that all over Northern Idaho.

U have budget already?

Prices fluctuate from a couple hundred to a couple thousand a acre in most places.

Yes, have a limited budget in the form of a 457 account that I want to get out of the volatile market and out of fiat notes. Would prefer a cash purchase up to say $60K.

Here is a link to online listings.
    Realtors pay subscription fees to list on the site and the link is for Idaho.
    https://www.survivalrealty.com/retre...creage=0+10000
    Bureaucrats are like rabid pitbulls with blinders...Its always better if you don't draw attention to yourself.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Jesus... they are proud of some of them...
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Yes, proud of some of them but not all of them. Makes me wonder when I see a lower cost property that has been on the market >500 days with several price drops over that time. Most of it is steep slopes on a hill side.

I am exactly where you are looking. We got the heck out of AZ last year and found our new paradise up here. We found a house in Kellogg, just outside city limits and on a couple of acres. I love the Silver Valley! Sounds like the Kingston or Cataldo areas would fit you well. It's about 5 miles from here and the south fork of the CDA river runs through it. In fact, that's my favorite place to fish. There is abundant water and more wildlife than you can imagine. Deer are everywhere, elk, moose, black bear and even an occasional grizzly. The land up here is good for a septic (we just put in a new septic system 2 weeks ago ) Last weekend we found 2 different lakes near here (Google search images for Lake Elsie and Glidden Lake) - more beautiful than you can imagine. Fishing is great up here with cutthrout, brown, brook and rainbow trout. Everyone hunts up here (except me I think). I could literally sit in my living room and shoot a big whitetail buck from the window (probably 20 feet away ) There are properties up here with 5, 10, 20+ acres. Just depends on what you want to pay. Over here, property is MUCH cheaper than in CDA. You can buy a 3br house in town here for 65K. Mullan is even cheaper. For houses with acreage, look on landwatch.com, Cindy Carlson Realty or Miners Hat Realty. Keep an eye on Craigslist in the Spokane/CDA section. That's how we found our house and we didn't go through a realtor.

One of the best things up here is within a very short period of time, you will be on a first name basis with alot of people in town. People here are very friendly. The LEOs here are great as well. Another bonus is that there are no distance restrictions to other dwellings in the county on shooting. If you live in the county and have a neighbor's house 20 feet away, you can still target shoot or hunt as long as you do it safely. The DMV here is pretty cool. It's in the basement of the courthouse and 2 people work there. There are also 3 chairs in case you have to wait (I never have though). Along those lines, there are no vehicle emissions here either which makes things so much easier. There is a Walmart in the valley (Smelterville) and a gun/bait shop here in Kellogg. And if you need a new truck.... Dave Smith (largest Dodge dealership in the country) is here in town too. There are also 2 AVT/UTV dealerships in Pinehurst.

It's difficult to explain the feeling you get when you watch a moose give birth in your yard, or the freedom of getting on your atv and riding the trails from your front door or just taking it to pick up some bread at the store. I love it here. My only regret is that we didn't move here sooner. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.
    Last edited by pinetopfirefighter; 10-02-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Just saw your budget and I'm thinking you could buy a nice piece of land and then either build a cabin or move a manufactured home on to it. A full septic system will run you 10K, but you can make this work. Don't walk away from this if it's what you really want to do. When you get here, you will wonder why you waited so long.