Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Property

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

how's the winter scenery look
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Winter ... seems like we haven't had one in a few years. Several years now since we have had a normal or heavy snow year. Depends a lot on where you choose to live. It can vary quite a bit in just a few miles. I live a little north of Hayden and its common to not see bare ground from the middle of Dec. through the end of Feb. About 2' to 3' on the ground at any one time would be a lot. I also have 40 acres about 70 miles north east of here and 5' on the level would be common. Post Falls, 15 miles south of where I live will only get about half of what I get here at home. So it varies quite a bit. I like to ice fish. On a good year we can have safe ice from the end of Dec. until March. Some years were lucky to have a month. We usually have a have dozen days below zero. Some years it can be a month. I like winter and I think its about right in north Idaho. You can get out to do the winter activities but it don't last forever like some places. Nothing worse then some people sniveling about winter and living a hundred miles miles from Canada. What did they expect? If your not familiar with the area, Id suggest a visit an take a little tour around the north part of the state. Nothing wrong with the Silver Valley but there are a lot of nice places to be found. Id also check out the Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, Clark Fork areas. Hard to advise you not knowing your needs and likes. Come on up and look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1 View Post
    how's the winter scenery look

If you will be looking for work, it may be difficult to find a job in the Silver Valley, but that depends on what you do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    Id also check out the Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, Clark Fork areas.
    I've been looking for a BOL property close to CDA with no avail. The cheaper properties are to be found North, East and South of CDA. I love Wallace, just the way it is situated in the mountains, and there are affordable properties that direction. There are cheap properties up by the Canadian border, down to Sandpoint as well and then to the South, SW in the St Maries area I've seen reasonable prices. The St. Maries area is very nice to look at, floated the St Joe two years ago.

Also, I use kwcda.com for my property searches, has a map feature I like, will cover all the areas I listed above. Also, there are reasonable prices in the Spirit Lake area too.

http://www.kwcda.com/all-properties/...54#propdetails

Oh man, I would love to have this property!!

Thanks for the replies Pinetop, you were one that I was hoping to hear from as I know you are familiar with my current area, and recently relocated. My current plan would be to acquire the property and move my 35' fifth wheel travel trailer to the property. I still have to work for about 9 years to pay off my property in Coconino county and then go into an early retirement. So I would be in Idaho only part time, building what I can during that time. Not to say I would not be willing to relocate sooner given an an appropriate employment opportunity. While my wife is totally on board with this purchase, she is in no hurry to put so much distance between us and our two daughters, but she knows that I will build a safe place for them to be should they need it for any reason, as well as a legacy once we are gone.

I see a lot of property in and around the Silver Valley that are very steeply sloped and while I don't mind a portion of the property being like that I do need some fairly flat ground as well. The first order of business would be to build garage-mahall, aka the taj mahall of garages, and a small guest house/cabin. That would allow me to take the time needed to build the main house once we relocate. Having built our current house in 1998/1999, there are many things that I would do differently next time around. Speaking of which, are basements somewhat common in the area?