Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 or 4 goats?

Hazzard
    Hello
    I think you are making a good decision going with only 2 does.
    The breed you are leaning toward. I am not partial to.
    But if it works for your situation go for it.
    I am admittedly a large animal person, horses primarily.
    Goats have filled a slot as farm pets, horse companions for me.
    Because of that experience I have only had large breed goats.
    Now with Pack goats and seeing good usage as hiking companions were I can not take my horses, I will stick with my large breed goats. If I want to breed and milk I will stick with large breed goats.
    Happy Trails
    Good Luck with small goats they are escape artist.
    hihobaron and the Troops in SC.

Hello All
    This is what happens when you have a Buck Around
    If you don't Have a whole bunch of goats to breed haul you nanny's out for breeding.!!!
    A "Wether" proper spelling,
    Is still good to have around or 2 of them for meat, Pack or pulling a cart or wagon as a back up BOV. If any of you have seen the video of the First US airline landing in Cuba watch the back ground and the commentator even mentions that there is no taxi service and passengers were taxied around with horse drawn carriages. There is a fast short clip of a Local with a goat wagon pulling 4 small children as a horse powered cab goes by.
    A wether will help you detect heat and know when to take the nanny out settle her desires. Most times a nanny will stand for a Buck about 3 times in a hour.
    MY experience is 90% settling rate. on taking the nanny to the buck.
    I have breeding experience with horses for over 20 years.
    Granted horses are a little different than goats,but the common practice with many horses is take the mare to the stud and leave till she refuses to stand for the stallion.
    Billy Goats in Rut (Breeding Season) STINK you can smell them a block away.
    Everything the that touches them will smell that way for a week and the smell will taint the milk from you nanny's.
    Happy Trails hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy,Pete,Sam and the Troops in SC
    animals-skunk-goat-billy_goat-club-stinker-cgan2885_low.jpg

Hello All
    The boys have been at it again.
    I have a new neighbor.
    There is a small house down in a holler below BC1 (Rental Property)
    Last Renters had 2 aggressive dogs they would let run(Husky and then a young Dobby) 2-3 AM when she got off work.
    =========================
    Then they moved out, TGFSF
    =======================-
    New people are in , Older couple.
    No Pets, and with farm back ground.
    I have stopped to talk to them on the way up to the barn a couple times.
    Been keeping the boys after feeding on the high line so they did not go "Visiting"
    Pete and Sam are bad about that.
    They see people and have to check them out.
    ========================
    Moving on:
    This morning I decided to leave the boys loose while I went to horse barn to set up feed.
    I feed a wet Beet Pulp Mash with DE and then after the BP soaks add the low carb pellets and feed outside
    WELL about the time I got done fixing the mash, here come Pete and Sam to snoop around the barn.
    No Problem, Closed the feed room door and headed back to BC1 Goats in trail.
    I usually give the BP a while to soak.
    New Neighbor had his truck down in back yard of house unloading stuff to a old chicken coop they are going to use for storage. So I walked down for a talk about things. Get to know you type thing.
    Well we were having a good jawbone session, ( Over the fence) type thing Smile Just Getting to know the Neighbors.
    Turns out his family had goats when he was young (Farm goats)
    Well about that time Pete and Sam figured out (From voice tracking they have) Smile Were I was and came down to visit. They are not shy about checking "New" people out.
    Well, then the White Boys put in their appearance.
    Yes, I do have a "Segregated" herd structure here the Colored Boys and the White Boys.
    All do look to me, but the Colored boys rule or try to, what the white boys do,were they go etc.
    Anyway Pete and Sam were happy to hang out and eat weeds.while I gossiped.
    They must have got their belly full and came over to be social again.
    White boys were still working the weeds within view no problems there.
    Pete and Sam started giving me the "Look" TRUCK BED let's get in and check it out.
    Yes, the tail gate was down and I was sitting on the edge of it talking.
    Well, Sam from a standing position jumped into truck bed proceed to sniff it out then Pete not to be out done did the same. Pete and Sam "Approved" the truck and then got down and went back to work on the weeds.
    ==========================
    The new neighbor was laughing his head off.
    "I have never seen goats do that" He was not upset his comment was "It's a work truck" goats can not hurt it"
    So then I told him what Pete and Sam are being trained for "Pack Goats" he was "Interested"
    Never heard about that.
    I did mention to him that if you leave a car door open and goats are lose you may have to unload a goat the boys are bad about jumping in a open door. He grinned about that. Said OK I'll keep that in mind.
    ===================================
    I also had a pistol on my belt 45 LC Revolver, not for the neighbor but because yesterday I saw a scabby looking fox or coyote at mid-day in the pasture with my horses. Not a "Normal" time to see them here.
    Thinking "Rabies" critters are vaccinated but still it is a "Shoot First" and be safe situation.
    Told neighbor about it,His response "I've got a good 12 Gage shotgun" He is RET-Military so he had no problems with seeing me with a pistol. Yes , we had a good gun talk too. Smile
    Happy Trails
    hihobaron

Why didn't I find this earlier? How is the goat business coming along Hazard? Keep us posted how the boys are doing HHbaron
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

We weren't able to get any goats this year, just couldn't get a proper set up for them yet. Hopefully next year we will have things straight and a good spot for them.
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

There is some good advice in this thread. I currently have thirteen Nannies and one Billy something killed my other billy a few weeks ago, not an animal either a person shot him or he ran a piece of wire in his stomach (he was out of the fence). I have milked in the past, I just don't have time right now.. As the others have stated the pygmy are a fashionable thing I have two lamancha (spelling?) That are the sweetest girls.

Anyway I'll be glad to help all that I can.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

hey, can I put my two cents in here seein as how?,, pygmy? Nigerians can have up to five kids at a time,, one of the first does I had ,, ( they were giveaways) came from a good milker that her next set of kids was quints,,I got pics on my cell phones of their udders just for bragging rights,, yes that's a thing for dairy goats..now you figger on having some wethers for meat, right? That doe that had quints was a rarity,, she also birthed them without human assistance and was able to clean and get them up and had plenty of milk for all five and at two weeks was hand milked without having to remove the kids.
    I've free ranged all my Nigerians, and never separated the billies from the nannys the milk was never tainted. I used baby wipes the unscented gentle sensitive skin kind and whiped the teats before milking,, no smell from the wipes or the billies,, I think that's an old wives tales or just sloppy goat keeping may have gotten those stories started. Back in the days of my original posts I posted a pic of those first original four.
    If you want to separate after breeding go ahead and after they have delivered and you've weaned the kids to bottle feeding keep a wether in with your girls,, when their tails go to waggin which is a sure sign they are goin into heat,,he'll try mounting and "There's Yer Sign" its time to turn them out with the billies.. This is stuff I learned from the lady who burned the buds so to speak when they were a week old..She was a good teacher.. Go to a breeder and learn from them
    but as far as pygmys nope,, to small if you have 4 Nigerians that's equal to at least one small milk cow, maybe six does max,, but you better have room to develop the kids and get em sold.
    Up here we don't haul the does out for breeding or bring in a strange billy because of CL being to easily passed around. My goats were penned up with cattle panels and the lady I learned from used chain link kennels,, keeping certain does together cause of the hierarchy thing,, yes there is a herd queen,, dominate lil things ..you should clip the udder hairs tho with a lil battery operated clipper similar to what you'd use on your sideburns. For each doe I would get 2 16 oz bottles of milk,, I only milked once a day and I would also harvest some colostrum off each nanny for emergencies incase one of them came down with mastitis, it happened and its a good thing I did this too.
    The smallest doe I had was 18 inches at the shoulder and she gave me twins first go round, her udder was the size of a cantaloupe.. I wouldn't milk her. She had the pretties twin does and the visiting kids loved it..
    Last edited by silvergramma; 12-20-2016 at 01:02 AM.